The Videogames Tab

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'd strongly consider pushing through. I'm really, really glad I did.

Assuming it's the kind of thing you like on paper (IE: Zelda games and/or open world games) to begin with of course.
Love Zelda. Still kind of kicking myself when I almost got through Ocarina of Time and abandoned that as well. Links Awakening is probably my favorite of them all though.

You ready? You look ready.
given Jedi fallen order another go. this time I’m playing on easy and it’s been much more enjoyable. really wish it didn’t make you backtrack on every level to advance the story but that’s a tiny problem.

once I’m done with this I’m gonna start the tomb raider series. and I will also be playing on easy. because that’s the only way I’m gonna play games these days. I don’t have the patience to grind it out for the hardest difficulty like I used to. it’s just not fun anymore

I'm a sucker for platforming games like this, and I'm half-enjoying Somerville after an hour or so. It falls victim to many of the same issues of other platformers...clunky camera, simple but limiting controls, etc. Some puzzles are a bit irritating as well, where it's not 'what solution can I find' and more 'what solution does the game force me to find'. The physics of how you interact with the environment seems to vary a bit too much, handicapping your mind sometimes in a sense

Still playing Breath of the Wild. Finally finished one of the Divine Beasts. Running a little low on shrines. Maxed out on stamina, hearts up onto a second line.

So yeah, just about time to finish the other Divine Beasts and wrap up the main story, I guess. Probably a week or two away from being done with it, should end up a little north of 100 hours, which is kinda nuts given how quickly I bounced off of it years ago. Really glad I came back to it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
So my endless consumption of the Star Citizen soap opera has led to this...

Doing a kinda 'citizen journalism' thing. Documenting a decade's worth of large claims, about things which remain largely unbuilt

The latest one is on their plans to support 1000s of players in one place. (Which is going as well as you might imagine ).

(Bit of a challenge to balance the facts and wordiness with the entertainment side, and probably way too niche for its own good. But I think I've stopped at least one guy from splurging over $1k in his first month with the game, so hopefully of some use )

A system of cells interlinked
I usually stick with one game until I finish it, but have managed to diverge from that plan a couple of times over the past two weeks. I continue to progress along in Inscryption, now well into the retro section of the game. I have also started Disco Elysium, and have put a few hours into that. Lastly, while browsing around in my Steam Library, I remembered that I had set Elden Ring down a good 7 months ago, for no reason other than I needed a break. I had meant to get back to it much sooner than this, as I am (I think) quite close to completing the game. Nothing sharpens your Dark Souls skills like setting the genre down for half a year, I will say that!

After 15 minutes of:

I finally got back into the flow of things, and managed to down 3 more bosses in about a 3 hour play session. I did that "point of no return" thing that all the souls games tend to have, and I am in the endgame now. One or two more sessions should see me finally finishing this massive undertaking.

I have also started Disco Elysium, and have put a few hours into that.
Oooh ooh, let's talk about that.

Also if you can be persuaded to stream it I will 100% watch.

Oooh ooh, let's talk about that.

Also if you can be persuaded to stream it I will 100% watch.
I like it so far, and have played for maybe 3-4 hours so far. I have focused on skills such as Inland Empire and the like, really leaning into the sort of schizo-addict stuff. I don't think I have leveled up any physical or combat-ish skills yet, and am playing the character as a pretty dysfunctional nut. I've a fairly equal balance of communist and fascist tendencies, so not sure what that means. That said, I have tried to roleplay this run not so much as what I would do or choose, but what I think this version of the character would do. The game is certainly unique!

I still need to look into how to stream stuff before I can really get that going.

I like it so far, and have played for maybe 3-4 hours so far. I have focused on skills such as Inland Empire and the like, really leaning into the sort of schizo-addict stuff. I don't think I have leveled up any physical or combat-ish skills yet, and am playing the character as a pretty dysfunctional nut. I've a fairly equal balance of communist and fascist tendencies, so not sure what that means. That said, I have tried to roleplay this run not so much as what I would do or choose, but what I think this version of the character would do. The game is certainly unique!
Yeah, it's really special. Some real laugh-out-loud moments, some of which you've probably hit already.

I like to roleplay decision-wise, too. Usually what I'd do in real life but for something like this, that's not always possible, so I dig the idea to lean into the crazy. What you're describing is kinda consistent with the character anyway, insofar as it has a player-agnostic nature (it does, but thankfully the story means basically whatever you do is consistent with it, which is part of the brilliance).

I still need to look into how to stream stuff before I can really get that going.
What platform are you playing on?

What platform are you playing on?
Steam on PC. I have a Twitch account, but have only used it to support friends that stream so far. I think it's just a matter of me sitting down and setting it up to stream, which I haven't taken the time to do.

Steam on PC. I have a Twitch account, but have only used it to support friends that stream so far. I think it's just a matter of me sitting down and setting it up to stream, which I haven't taken the time to do.
Honestly, it'd be like 10-15 minutes, I'll happily walk you through it. I also think Steam might have a bunch of built-in stuff for it now anyway.

Don't feel obligated, but consider it a standing offer.

Honestly, it'd be like 10-15 minutes, I'll happily walk you through it. I also think Steam might have a bunch of built-in stuff for it now anyway.

Don't feel obligated, but consider it a standing offer.
Awesome, thanks!

I am going to finish Elden Ring, and then I will try to get it going and maybe do a session or two - I will be sure to contact you when it comes together!

The new Ruthless mode of Path of Exile has made me go back to HC. It took three attempts to get into maps, and I feel like I'm still taking too many SC-like risks, but Ruthless is mostly a fun addition to the game.

Welcome to the human race...
So I need to clear up some space on my PS4 to start installing new games and I'd already made a start on Far Cry 6 so now I'm picking it back up. Haven't played any of the other games in the series to completion (made a start on the first one and may or may not have gotten as far as the final stages, it's been a long time since I played it) but I'm finding this one a fairly satisfactory diversion as far as AAA games full of shooting and driving and crafting go. I told myself I'd only stick to the main quests as much as possible but it's hard not to get caught up in the larger world a bit (and I do mean larger, sometimes an open-world game can be too open).

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've hit up against one of the ultimate co-op challenges...

Finding SSD space now my kidling is using my PC as well

(Got him Jurassic World 2 and Battlefront 2 for his bday, and the second is 90G. Meh :/)

Luckily I'm not really gaming much at the mo so have just smooshed most of the VR back catalogue I'm not touching. But it's totally gonna be an issue... (That and finding enough screentime to sate us both...)

On the plus side though the split-screen mod still works for BF2 apparently, so should get some shared gaming time there

Finished Breath of the Wild. Disappointed you can't keep exploring the world after, but I played a bit more after beating the end, which is always a good sign a game had its hooks in me (and I don't want them to detach). But I'm not going to full completionist (not even for everything but Korok seeds, probably, which is a borderline insane level of completionism).

It's left enough of an influence that I've been going out of my way to figure out what other games I can play on the Switch, instead of the PC, to fill that void. Tunic probably first.

Great game, as good as everyone said, and (mostly) playing it so late means I only half to wait six months for the next one, which is cool.

Unrelated (but the real reason I came into this thread in the first place), but I heard a podcast this morning that referred to a game as "books-level boring" and I think that's incredibly funny.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Unrelated (but the real reason I came into this thread in the first place), but I heard a podcast this morning that referred to a game as "books-level boring" and I think that's incredibly funny.
This says so much about the stereotypical gamer. And yet, I think the gamers around *here* are also very bookish people, so the stereotype wouldn't hold.

I hope.