21.43%
12 votes
50-59
8.93%
5 votes
Over 60
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The previous poll 14 years ago got ~400 responses. This one got ~50. A lack of new-blood is making the population decline.

It's very sad. Fakebook and other "social" media is killing the message board.

I also think people don't care about movies anymore. Music has become muzak - background music, or something aggressive to work out to. I ask people these kinds of questions every day - on a million message boards, "real life", etc... People I talk to just assume "Oh, the last dozen movies I saw at a theatre suck, I'm done", instead of trying something out of their comfort zone. "I'm not watching B&W" or those who watch a movie on their phone/laptop. Too many distractions, surfing the web, playing with a phone, checking e-mail, and just not big enough to see. I've been guilty of this, before, and I remember seeing a movie after waking up at 4am (La Grande Illusion) and not thinking much of it. I saw it again a year later with rest, and it became one of my favorites. But just yesterday, in a twist of events, my brother told me that he, his girlfriend, and her grandma saw a few movies I recommended him. Movies my brother would NEVER watch. They all loved "Dodsworth" and "Sweet Smell of Success". I was a little surprised, too, but quality always stands the test of time. Even if you have to study up on the zeitgeist - that knowledge you learn doesn't only help you better understand a movie.

We've done this before, but it was a very long time ago, so let's try it again.

The results are anonymous in case anyone's at all worried about revealing their general age.
Mm the sample is still pretty small but it seems like the user base of this forum has aged and the younger crowd isnt really coming in. Which doesnt surprise me based on the movies I see talked about here and also generally my observation that forums really was more a thing of the 2000's and early 2010's.

(Im in my early 20s)

What are the 7 living generations?

Who do you think you are? Seven generations to choose from (PEW Research Center)

The Greatest Generation (born 1901–1927)
The Silent Generation (born 1928–1945)
Baby Boomers (born 1946–1964)
Generation X (born 1965–1980)
Millennials (born 1981–1995)
Generation Z (born 1996–2010)
Generation Alpha (born 2011–2025)
The funny thing is I only discovered in college that I was actually not a Millenial and was a Gen Z'er. I had a small identity crisis with this revelation to be honest lol. All the teachers referred to us as Millenials in high school so I always just thought that was the fact.

41. Born in '81!

Mm the sample is still pretty small but it seems like the user base of this forum has aged and the younger crowd isnt really coming in. Which doesnt surprise me based on the movies I see talked about here and also generally my observation that forums really was more a thing of the 2000's and early 2010's.

(Im in my early 20s)
A reasonable guess, though many the regulars from that previous thread (well over a decade ago) aren't around, so I'm thinking even though there's been plenty of turnover it's the standard "whatever a forum is, it attracts more of" principle.

But yeah, the net effect of social media has been to make forum populations older and, frankly, a lot more thoughtful, IMO.

Mm the sample is still pretty small but it seems like the user base of this forum has aged and the younger crowd isnt really coming in. Which doesnt surprise me based on the movies I see talked about here and also generally my observation that forums really was more a thing of the 2000's and early 2010's. (Im in my early 20s)
Interesting post...I'd agree that the likes of social media is the draw for younger people these days, hence the somewhat older crowd here, like me! But I always thought everyone was really young here, except me and a handful of others. I like a mix of people of all types, ages and from all over the world it's more interesting that way.

Question: you say you're not surprised people are older here based on the movies talked about on MoFo...can you elaborate on that? From my viewpoint it seems many MoFos talk about new releases but that's probably because I'm not interested in new movies much hence I notice that more than another person would who is interested in new releases.

From Uncle Google:
Baby boomers, often shortened to boomers, are the demographic cohort following the Silent Generation and preceding Generation X. The generation is often defined as people born from 1946 to 1964, during the post–World War II baby boom.

In Canada, the Postwar Baby Boom started and ended a couple of years later than in the U.S. Douglas Coupland coined the term "Generation X" to refer to those who were born in its later stages -- a group that faced abysmal job prospects as young adults due to a combination of demographic and economic factors.

Hmm, surprising poll results so far. Right now 53% of everyone who voted are in the 40-50 or 50-60 range, which includes me...I say we unite and make a pack to go to bed at 7pm and mow our lawns at 5am
You can get arrested for this in Connecticut. No lawn mowing before 7 a.m. weekdays & 8 a.m. Sundays.