Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Great recommendation. Hope to be able to find it... Cheers.

~Doc
I signed up for a free 2-week trial for Amazon Prime (and will cancel it right after). It deals with music, different guys he's played with (Miles, of course) and his struggles with life.

Whiplash (2014)

An inspiration for teaching (if you get the joke). The message this movie sends is a bit fuzzy.

Very entertaining although rather too over the top at some point.
+

Joker (2019)

I thought this was a pretty good film that ticked all the boxes of what it set out to be, and I think your opinion of it will change based on what you're expecting from it going in. Having seen Taxi Driver a couple of weeks ago, I won't deny this movie feels a little like a remake of that with the comic book character twist added on, but to be honest it didn't overwhelm all the good in this anyways. Joaquin Phoenix was the best part by a mile, and his performance was nothing short of stellar, so when 95% of the scenes have him in them, it is hard not to have his acting elevate the movie significantly. Even beyond the acting, I think the directing was well done, with some really beautiful shots in parts, and the sound/music was used with great effect (with exception to one case).
I have no problem recommending this to people who don't care about comic book movies/think they're all average, since really this operates more like a character study film than its typical peers. I'd rather have more of these than whatever the next 50 movies Marvel/DC has announced and carefully preplanned so far this new phase, since at least it was something different.

7.5/10, somewhere in the 7-8/10 range but I'll see how I feel after another viewing.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Giant Little Ones (Keith Behrman, 2018)
-
What Happened to Rosa (Victor Schertzinger,1920)
-
Hong Kong 97 (Albert Pyun, 1994)

The Art of Self-Defense (Riley Stearns, 2019)
+

Mugging victim Hesse Eisenberg joins the dojo of questionable sensei Alessandro Nivola.
A Report on the Party and Guests (Jan Nemac, 1966)

Siberia (Matthew Ross, 2018)

Haunt (Scott Beck & Bryan Woods, 2019)

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Vince Gilligan, 2019)
+

Entertaining thriller shows Jesse (Aaron Paul) trying to find his own destiny out the shadows of "mentor" Bryan Cranston.
DNA (William Mesa, 1996)

Begone Dull Care (Evelan Lambart & Norman McLaren, 1949)

Naked Fear (Thom Eberhardt, 2007)

The Forest of Love (Sion Sono, 2019)
-

The filming of a serial killer saga by a serial killer, but who really is it?
White Star (Roland Klick, 1983)
+
The Burden (Niki Lindroth von Bahr, 2017)

The Power (Paul Hills, 2015)
-
Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones (Stan Lathan, 2019)

The comedian is his usual hilarious, non=PC self.
Helen of Four Gates (Cecil M. Hepworth,1920)
+
Yesterday (Danny Boyle, 2019)

The Passing (Gareth Bryn, 2015)

Spider-Man: Far from Home (Jon Watts, 2019)

Spider-Man (Tom Holland) has to battle a group of world threateners with the gelp of a classmate (Zendaya) but with no help from the long-gone Avengers.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
So happy to see you posting ratings again Mark - always loved seeing what you thought. Haven't noticed any previous ones but then I'm not around much; you been doing this for a while or just new?

Welcome to the human race...
Gemini Man -

I bet Jean-Claude Van Damme is pissed he didn't get to make this movie.

Gemini Man -

I bet Jean-Claude Van Damme is pissed he didn't get to make this movie.
I think I'd have to be pissed to watch it.

The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes:
The Sensible Action of Lieutenant Holst (TV, 1973) 5/10

The first full episode of the series I've seen. I had tried to watch the episode The Horse of the Invisible (1971) with Donald Pleasence but it was badly directed and the music swamped everything, so I gave up.

This episode is certainly better produced but really there's so little interest to sustain it. John Thaw looks quite out of place or possibly miscast in the title role. The minute he came on I thought: Colin Baker was obviously unavailable. Still, it's interesting to see him doing some Morse-like behaviour earlier in his career. Oddly enough I was reminded of the very first episode of Van der Valk, with the citizen who reports his missing wife, and also with the relationship between the protagonist and his own wife.

The thing that this is really worth watching for is Philip Madoc, who acts everyone else off the screen (and that's happened before ).

Unregistered User

I Origins (2014)

I took The Samoan Lawyer's recommendation, and watched this last night. I'm glad I did.

Written & Directed by Mike Cahill, and starring Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire, Seven Psychopaths), Britt Marling (The OA), and Astrid Berges-Frisbey (King Arthur), the title is a little enigmatic and pretentious sounding, but the film delivers the goods.

The base premise involves evolution, creationism, and reincarnation, but it plays as a romance/mystery, and never gets preachy or highbrow. It starts as a romance then gradually morphs into a metaphysical mystery.

There is no gutter language, graphic sex, nor gore; and but for possibly one scene it should have been rated PG-13. The picture is one of those that likely has been passed over because it doesn't contain "A" list stars, but it's a very well put together, enjoyable and thoughtful film.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Glad you enjoyed it Doc!

Sorcerer (1977)

Wow and wow. An incredible tale and an incredible film put together by Friedkin. The "sections" play well. From the seeds to the ultimately desperate attempt to escape justice/make some money to the epilogue.

Sheider is amazing as are the rest of the central cast. The bridge "crossings" indeed make the crux of the film.

I read somewhere that Friedkin regretted the casting of Roy Sheider in this, if so, I'm annoyed. The comments (if true) may be from the fact it tanked in the cinemas.

Strong

I signed up for a free 2-week trial for Amazon Prime (and will cancel it right after). It deals with music, different guys he's played with (Miles, of course) and his struggles with life.
Oh! I didn't realize it was on Amazon Prime. Will look for it.

Sorcerer (1977)

Wow and wow. An incredible tale and an incredible film put together by Friedkin. The "sections" play well. From the seeds to the ultimately desperate attempt to escape justice/make some money to the epilogue.

Sheider is amazing as are the rest of the central cast. The bridge "crossings" indeed make the crux of the film.

I read somewhere that Friedkin regretted the casting of Roy Sheider in this, if so, I'm annoyed. The comments (if true) may be from the fact it tanked in the cinemas.

Strong
I liked it too and I had much the same opinion about Scheider – you can read my reaction here:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...light=sorcerer

The Andromeda Strain (1971, Robert Wise)

The ending fell a bit short but it was a solid piece of sci-fi nonetheless. Probably dated by today's standards but I was quite impressed by the attention to detail, the set design and just the overall level of technical sophistication that went into making the movie. Thumbs up.

The Andromeda Strain (1971, Robert Wise)

The ending fell a bit short but overall a solid piece of sci-fi filmmaking. Probably dated by today's standards but I was quite impressed by the attention to detail, the set design and the level of technical sophistication that went into the movie. Thumbs up.
The set design does look good. This is part of a gaggle of similar films from that era that I've never seen.

Weekend re-watches:

2nd re-watch...there are some minor plot and character points that I had issues with, but Robin Williams' bone chilling performance makes this one worth the ride.

This big budget Bond spoof makes all the right moves providing a perfect blend of action and laughs...Melissa McCarthy turns in one of her strongest performances here, but it's the quieter moments in the film where she really shines...watch those opening scenes where she's trying to contain her feelings about Brad Fine (Jude Law)...there's some real acting going on there, but if the truth be known, Jason Statham pretty much steals the show in a performance that makes fun of his own onscreen persona.

1st Re-watch...what can I say, everything works here. Kathy Bates' powerhouse, Oscar-winning performance is just one of the reasons this movie works so well. Bates' performance would not have worked without James Caan's understated but equally powerful Paul Sheldon. Caan not only perfectly conveys Paul's fear of what's happening to him, but never forgets the physical pain the character is in. He's especially great whenever he attempts to sweet talk Annie into thinking he might have feelings for her. And I LOVE Richard Farnsworth as the sheriff. And it all works thanks to crisp direction by Rob Reiner that gives the whole story a very claustrophobic feel.

The set design does look good. This is part of a gaggle of similar films from that era that I've never seen.
It's a good movie - compared to some other sci-fi flicks of the era, like the Omega Man (could barely get past the 15 minute mark with that one), I found it very much watchable.

Welcome to the human race...
I think I'd have to be pissed to watch it.
Can't imagine that sitting well with the high frame rate.

Christine -

I can't believe Stephen King turned "I'm In Love With My Car" into a scary story.