Rec me intense and disturbing films from the 70s and 80s.

Tools    

Not like silly grindhouse B stuff like Cannibal Holocaust and Nekromantic, but more serious and well made stuff like Pixote, Scum, Come and see, Christain F, and Threads.

movies can be okay...
When the Wind Blows (1986) by Jimmy Murakami
Spoorloos (1988) by George Sluizer
The Seventh Continent (1989) by Michael Haneke
Angst (1983) by Gerald Kargl
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Most of the 70's and 80's films by David Cronenberg should fit the bill. My personal favorites are Shivers (1975) and Videodrome (1983). Also Macabre (1980) by Lamberto Bava might be close to what you're looking for. The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976) by Nicolas Gessner might be something like that as well and at the very least it's great movie.

One slightly older film could be Jigoku (1960) by Nobuo Nakagawa. Then there are these two that people always seem to find disturbing (I've only seen the first but the second is on my watch list as well): Pretty Baby (1978) by Louis Malle and Maladolescenza (1977) by Pier Giuseppe Murgia.

Will post more if something comes to mind.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Since you listed Come and See by Elem Klimov, his wife's The Ascent is a must. A pretty harrowing anti-war film!

Noisy Requiem is a great, weird, quirky, disturbing Japanese film! Don't miss director's other film!

Possession might be considered pretty disturbing.

In a Glass Cage is quite disturbing with an intriguing concept.

Angst is superbly disturbing and brutal.

Tetsuo is pretty out there as well as other Cyberpunk films from Japan.

Some "B-movies" as well, because frankly, these are the best for 'disturbing':

Lolita Vibrator Torture
Deliria
The Devil Fetus
Angustia
Who Can Kill a Child?
Rabid Dogs
Star of David: Beauty Hunting
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Completely forgot Possession. It's been years since I saw it but I liked it a lot.

Couple more that came to mind. Quite obvious but it's not mentioned yet is Salo (1975) by Pasolini. Another one that I haven't seen in a long, long time is Combat Shock (1984) - yeah, it's Troma production but if my memory and IMDb reviews are to be believed it's nothing like any other Troma film.

"Suspiria" from 1977 and 1981s epic horror thriller "The entity"

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987)

Not like silly grindhouse B stuff like Cannibal Holocaust and Nekromantic, but more serious and well made stuff like Pixote, Scum, Come and see, Christain F, and Threads.
Well I was watching The Entity (1982) again a few days ago. There were some moments I'd forgotten since the last time I saw it and I found it much more disturbing in places than I expected.

Well I was watching The Entity (1982) again a few days ago. There were some moments I'd forgotten since the last time I saw it and I found it much more disturbing in places than I expected.
One of the best horror thrillers i ve ever seen

a lot of the 70s/80s Vietnam movies like Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket would qualify I think. Also...
Daughters of Eve
The Shining
Dead Man's Letters and Utopia (thanks Mark F)
Sweet Movie (*shudder*)
A Clockwork Orange
Eraserhead
Men Behind the Sun
Caligula
Deliverance

and worst of all... Threads...

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What didnt you like about Cannibal Holocaust? I've not bothered with many rewatchesbecause I wasnt particularly a big fan, but I did get sucked in by the indigenous women on crucifixes. That looked very real to me.