The Terror

Tools    

"The Terror is an upcoming anthology television series set to be broadcast on AMC in 2018. - wiki

The crew of a Royal Naval expedition searching for the Arctic's treacherous Northwest Passage discovers instead a monstrous predator." - IMDB

Looks okay, and really you'll never go wrong watching Ciarán Hinds.

Topical for me as I was thinking about The Captain of the Polestar the other day, a short and very creepy story by Arthur Conan Doyle, which is a bit like a cross between Moby-Dick and the end of Frankenstein.

This might just do nobody any good.
you'll never go wrong watching Ciarán Hinds.
Justice League doesn’t seem to be doing too well.

Justice League doesn’t seem to be doing too well.
It's just his voice though surely? Lot of – I'm assuming – motion-capture for what looks like an okay but nowt sparkling monster. I had to check he appeared in the flesh in Ghost Rider actually .

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Interesting looking mini series.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Geoblocked. So annoying. Nevermind, I'll wait.

I have now watched 6/10 episodes so not my absolutely final opinion.

I liked the story and characters in the book but there was too much repetition, meaningless detail and odd pacing. Series has taken huge liberties with the story and mangled most of the characters into something totally different; there are lots of familiar scenes but often in different chronological order or even in different context and many main characters including their backgrounds have been altered. Why can't people try filming the book instead of re-writing the whole story?

Production wise The Terror looks surprisingly cheap. General feel is similar to old movies (early color film era) where everything is an obvious set piece and viewer never gets the feeling of actually being there. It doesn't even feel cold. Also the CGI is terrible based on the little we've seen of Tuunbaq this far.

If anything the series has made me think that I should have given the book a better rating. It's not terrible but just so disappointing.

EDIT: Finished the series and liberties taken on the story grew worse all the time. It's not even close to being the same story the book had (book made sense, series didn't).

In the book tab I gave book
but after the series I'm tempted to raise that at least to

Well, I haven't read the book, so went into the series knowing nothing and have enjoyed it well enough. I'm six episodes in and the last episode was pretty gangbusters. I thought the CGI looked decent. It's hard to say if the setting is not that realistic because it's two ships stranded in the ice and the weather is lousy and you could say it looks like a sound stage. Well, that's what it is but the ships are realistic and quite a bit of the show takes place inside the ships so I really can't complain about anything yet. That said, I understand where you're coming from, pahaK, in that I just watched the entire mini-series of The Alienist and was disappointed by all the changes made there, seemingly for no reason. The last episode dovetailed fairly well with the book but by then I'd already slogged through all the unnecessary changes so I was kind of relieved for it to be over. With The Terror, given what you've said, I think I'm better off not having read the book.

Finished! It does deviate a lot from the book, but I don’t care too much as long as it still tells its own story well. They did keep the aspect of the book that I disliked most though:
WARNING: "T" spoilers below
the spiritual eskimo connection to the monster. :/ I’d rather be a simpleton and just have a burly monster munching people.
No matter how they write it though, I can’t help but be excited by the premise.

I don’t mind the CGI too much when used as a tool for accentuating landscapes, but CG monsters are a turn off for me, and this
WARNING: "T" spoilers below
oversized polar bear was bad. I wish they’d relegated it to glimpses for longer.

I also think 10 episodes seemed a little overkill. There was a drop in quality after they left the ships. I dug how twisted the finale was though.

I really liked it overall.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Watched the first episode. Good enough for me to continue.

Suspect's Reviews