The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I rarely ever buy video-games day-of. Something about the fact that most of them can be found for 20-25 bucks in a couple months time. The last one I bought was The Evil Within 2 back in October, then, before that, it was Resident Evil VII in January.
I hear you. Nearly bought Evil Within 2 a few weeks back, digitally, at more than a 50% discount. It was well reviewed and has been out for, what, 6 months?

Some games I'll just buy, however, and Yakuza 6 is one of them.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I hear you. Nearly bought Evil Within 2 a few weeks back, digitally, at more than a 50% discount. It was well reviewed and has been out for, what, 6 months?

Right, right. Evil Within 2 was alright. I liked the first more though. Feel like I'm in the minority with that though.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Oh, and I Kickstarted my first ever project at the weekend.

It had to be SWERY.

Been waitin' a while for SWERY to make a new title. I wanted followups to Dark Dreams Don't Die. This new project, on the other-hand, not sure it has my interest.

A system of cells interlinked

Dang. Sorry I missed that 50% off sale on Evil Within 2... It's on my wish list!

Dang. Sorry I missed that 50% off sale on Evil Within 2... It's on my wish list!
GamesplanetUK (which I've used many times and only sells legit keys) has it for £19.99. No idea if it's region locked though.

Here's the IsThereAnyDeal page - Link

@McConnaughay - I'm not in love with the art style but the game seems to have a Deadly Premonitions vibe, and as Deadly Premonitions is legit one of my favourite games of the past decade, I'm excited for it.

I doubt Swery will ever finish (if he even has an option on the rights) D4. It was released just before Microsoft announced they were dropping Kinect from the Xbone and thus doubt it sold a lot.

Finished Bioshock Infinite (yeah, I'm pretty late to that party). It's a fun game, but I gotta say I enjoyed playing the previous two games more. There were some nice additions to Infinite, with the Skyline and such, but the game felt a little too rushed for my liking. The story never felt concrete enough, if that makes any sense. Still, I'm glad to see there's a new game in the works.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Finished Bioshock Infinite (yeah, I'm pretty late to that party). It's a fun game, but I gotta say I enjoyed playing the previous two games more. There were some nice additions to Infinite, with the Skyline and such, but the game felt a little too rushed for my liking. The story never felt concrete enough, if that makes any sense. Still, I'm glad to see there's a new game in the works.
Sadly, I never finished Inifite. I believe I left off somewhere around the time shift city destruction. I thought the rail system was interesting, but I got tired of it pretty early into my game play. I'm usually very poor with directions, and that abstraction really screwed my awareness up! Was fun, but not enough to complete it. I've more or less abandoned Batman: Arkham City since the getaway over Easter holiday, so maybe I should reconnect with this one.

Loved Bioshock 1 and 2 though. On announcement, I was very worried about how they were going to maintain the confined feel of the two, being within a floating city. I guess there were enough visual and conceptual distractions to keep me from noticing after all. So that was nice.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Sadly, I never finished Inifite. I believe I left off somewhere around the time shift city destruction. I thought the rail system was interesting, but I got tired of it pretty early into my game play. I'm usually very poor with directions, and that abstraction really screwed my awareness up! Was fun, but not enough to complete it. I've more or less abandoned Batman: Arkham City since the getaway over Easter holiday, so maybe I should reconnect with this one.

Loved Bioshock 1 and 2 though. On announcement, I was very worried about how they were going to maintain the confined feel of the two, being within a floating city. I guess there were enough visual and conceptual distractions to keep me from noticing after all. So that was nice.
It's a visually stunning game, no question about it. Though I rarely had time to fully grasp it all. Also, the ending left me feeling conflicted. Still on the fence with that one.

Never gave the Batman games a shot. I might one day.

It's a visually stunning game, no question about it. Though I rarely had time to fully grasp it all. Also, the ending left me feeling conflicted. Still on the fence with that one.

Never gave the Batman games a shot. I might one day.
...interesting.
I think I might dust this one off then. I'm curious now on the ending.

I bought Batman Arkham Asylum only a month or two back for PS3 and really (really) enjoyed it. In fact, I burned through that faster than most games it was so fun. I wrote a bit on it a few pages back. Coincidentally, some of what attracted me to Asylum was in how it, at times, reminded me of Bioshock what with its dark, gritty, and somewhat Art Deco design. The gadget-heavy gameplay, adult themes, and maze-like claustrophobic level designs also helped.

I highly recommend it if you find it cheap. Hell, after playing it I regret not having picked it up at full price on release. =\

Morrowind (sadly not the GOTY disc), Jade Empire and SSX 3 are now backwards compatible on the Xbone.

My console has a purpose again!

Morrowind (sadly not the GOTY disc), Jade Empire and SSX 3 are now backwards compatible on the Xbone.

My console has a purpose again!
So I fed my Morrowind GOTY disc (worth quite a bit these days) into my Xbone and it told me the game couldn't be played. Stuck my standard Morrowind disc in and it started to download the update. Pressed play after it finished and it's the GOTY version!

Sellers of used OG Xbox discs everywhere are now quietly weeping.... or else the price of the standard Morrowind is about to rise significantly.

For the record...

Bioshock>Infinite>Bioshock 2
Hm. You must tell me why you rate Infiniti higher. I've not finished Infiniti. Maybe higher concept? I dont remember feeling as engaged though.

Not my cup, but for those of you who enjoy city-building games here's a trailer for Frostpunk...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Buying it?

I will, but I doubt I will on Friday.
I pre-ordered it off Amazon when they had an E3 sale. So I managed to snag it and Red Dead Redemption 2 for $50 each.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hm. You must tell me why you rate Infiniti higher. I've not finished Infiniti. Maybe higher concept? I dont remember feeling as engaged though.
I rated it higher than 2 for a few reasons.

One, the setting was a nice breath of fresh air. I felt like you were finally able to use the environments a bit more with the rail system. The sense of confined spaces were lifted and I was engaged in this city that was alive with people instead of Splicers.

The game-play to me was really fluid. Don't get me wrong, the second Bioshock had better controls than the original, but I really think Infinite had the best balance for everything.

Story - Man...the ending to this is insane. I sat down trying to comprehend what happened and I dove DEEP...DEEEEEP into some online discussions about it. Bioshock had "Would You Kindly..." Infinite had it's ending and Bioshock 2....well, I don't remember anything jaw dropping about it.

Elizabeth, as far a sidekick characters go, she is pretty decent. She manages to be helpful when needed as far as Ammo goes and they made her likable enough to not get on my nerves. I felt for the relationship between her and Booker.

Bioshock 2 isn't a bad game, it just had the unfortunate task of being the sequel and being 'more of the same'. The least memorable villain of the three and a multiplayer game that next to no one played.

I rented this game from my local library and purposely held onto it passed the due date in order to finish it. Cost me $9 in overdue fees...which I never paid and have yet to go back to that library.