R. Lee Ermey. Rest In Peace

Tools    

I'm sure most already know this - but Ermey's performance in Full Metal Jacket was mostly improvised - he just did what came naturally to a drill Sergeant. The other actors had no idea what he was going to say or do next. Originally, Ermey was only hired as a technical adviser on the film due to his military career, but after seeing him in action on an instructional video, Kubrick gave him the part of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

Semper Fi!

I'm sure most already know this - but Ermey's performance in Full Metal Jacket was mostly improvised - he just did what came naturally to a drill Sergeant. The other actors had no idea what he was going to say or do next. Originally, Ermey was only hired as a technical adviser on the film due to his military career, but after seeing him in action on an instructional video, Kubrick gave him the part of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

Semper Fi!

Yeah his scenes are legendary.
Kubrick basically said along the lines of "You know what to do, so do it"... and Ermey just went full-drill on the actors

Man, he's gonna be missed.

He was awesome in Mississippi Burning.
But, "Police Captain" in Se7en is my fave role of his.

I'm a big fan R. Lee Ermey. I use to watch his military hardware TV show, Lock N Load, he made it fun! Every movie I've seen him in, he's made his part interesting. Full Metal Jacket is the one everyone knows but he has a long line of acting credits.

A 46 second trailer from my personal favorite Nam movie with R. Lee Ermey. He'll be missed!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
R.I.P.

Legendary turn in Full Metal Jacket, but also very solid in all his roles. Absolute boss.

I'm a big fan R. Lee Ermey. I use to watch his military hardware TV show, Lock N Loud, he made it fun! Every movie I've seen him in, he's made his part interesting. Full Metal Jacket is the one everyone knows but he has a long line of acting credits.

A 46 second trailer from my personal favorite Nam movie with R. Lee Ermey. He'll be missed!
Very interesting, wow! The wiki on this says Ermey even wrote the screenplay. Need to see this!

A class act! I can't think of any other actor who was able to steal a movie from the lead actors better than Ermey. His performance in Full Metal Jacket is easily one of the best acting performances in history. I'm surprised he was not even nominated for an Oscar for that performance. Such a terrible snub on the part of the Academy.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Stanley Kubrick: "Lee! What's a reach-around?"

Sorry to hear about this today and a lot of fond memories of watching him over the years, especially in Full Metal Jacket and Mississippi Burning.

I'm a big fan R. Lee Ermey. I use to watch his military hardware TV show, Lock N Load, he made it fun! Every movie I've seen him in, he's made his part interesting. Full Metal Jacket is the one everyone knows but he has a long line of acting credits.

CR, thanks for that. I've long heard of this movie but had no idea he was in it or wrote it. I need to see it.

I'm very shocked to hear of his passing. 74, to me, seems too young...at least for him. He seemed like he'd keep going and going. Godspeed, Gunny Ermey.

The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989)

Very interesting, wow! The wiki on this says Ermey even wrote the screenplay. Need to see this!
CR, thanks for that. I've long heard of this movie but had no idea he was in it or wrote it. I need to see it.
I spread the word on this movie whenever I can. You guys should take a few minutes to read all the reviews over at IMDB. Some of the reviewers say they were in Vietnam and this comes as close to the actual experience than any other Nam movie. And to the films credit the North Vietnamese army are portrayed as humans, not cannon fodder. R. Lee Ermey wrote a script that is respectful to the 'enemy' unlike other Nam films...At the same time it shows the realities and difficulties of the war. I just finished watching Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary and a lot of what I seen in the documentary reminded me of The Siege of Firebase Gloria. I hope you guys check it out.

I worked at a government installation for fifteen years with quite a few Vietnam Vets who were friends and they all had different takes on all the Vietnam films based on their own personal experience. I'm eager to see Vietnam through Ermey's experiences. Again, thanks for letting us know about this film.