ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

'Nothing bad can happen' (2013)

Yeah there's not much joy to be found in this one. Highly disturbing with an air of dark inevitability about the whole thing. right from the start.

Glad I watched it. But I wouldn't exactly recommend it to anyone. I did wonder though, whether there was a nod to previous German regimes, what with the blonde haired victim being at the hands of unspeakable evil. Probably just me over analysing it though.

Unregistered User
'Nothing bad can happen' (2013)

Yeah there's not much joy to be found in this one. Highly disturbing with an air of dark inevitability about the whole thing. right from the start.

Glad I watched it. But I wouldn't exactly recommend it to anyone. I did wonder though, whether there was a nod to previous German regimes, what with the blonde haired victim being at the hands of unspeakable evil. Probably just me over analysing it though.

Good call with that, never occurred to me. Certainly one of the bleakest I've seen in a while. Cricket loves the chicken eating scene.

Good call with that, never occurred to me. Certainly one of the bleakest I've seen in a while. Cricket loves the chicken eating scene.
I genuinely gagged and had to look away. It was excruciating.

'Frequencies' (2013)

Low budget British sci-fi flick that feels like a feature length episode of Black Mirror that didn't make the cut. It explores relationships, mental health, societal standards, elitism. The script and acting are average at best, but the concept is pretty interesting.

6/10

'Bleak Night' (2010)

This film is hard to get hold of for some reason, but it's worth it. It is reminiscent of 'Peppermint Candy' in that there are alot of flashbacks and interweaving timelines all central to one tragic event. It's very dialogue driven and is a character study of sorts, into the breakdown of a relationship of 3 high school students in South Korea. Slow paced in parts. There are lots of facial close ups which mean that the actors really have to deliver, and they did. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's an interesting look into the pressures of high school life.

7.5/10

'Gook' (2017)

If I had watched this 2017 film in 2017, it would be near the top of my best movies of 2017. But I watched it in 2018 so was too late. It's a slice of life type movie set in the days that follow the Rodney King incident in Los Angeles in '92. It's written by, directed by and stars Justin Chon as the lead male Eli. And he pulls off a terrific job. The entire cast is perfect. There are some proper acting chops on display here. From the young Simone Baker playing 10 year old Kamilla to the amazing Curtis Cook Jnr who plays the gang member Keith - they all nail it. Chon even cast his own father as the liquor store owner, and there's one scene in particular that I had to re-watch after reading that fact, as it becomes even more affecting. Chon also states that 'La Haine' is a massive influence on 'Gook', which is no surprise given the subject content and aesthetics.

The film itself centres on Eli and his brother Daniel (played by David So) trying to run a shoe shop in Paramount, L.A. The story is touching, funny, brutal, poignant, tragic and touches on the things you'd expect it to - race relations, immigration, gang culture, poverty, family. What it also does is explore the experiences of Asian American families during the 90s, something not many films have done.

There will no doubt be some criticism of it being overly sentimental, and perhaps rather fanciful, and there were some histrionics late on that were perhaps a tiny bit out of place. But overall, this movie completely grabbed me from the off, reeled me in, chewed me up a bit then spat me out, as movies should. Absolutely excellent.

Unregistered User
Not seen any of the last three, or heard of them actually. Not sure how much Frequencies seems like something I would enjoy, especially seeing as you likened it with Black Mirror, which I found average (although only season 1). I liked Peppermint Candy so Bleak Night probably appeals and I'll give Gook a go too.

Nice reviews as usual Scarlet

I did wonder though, whether there was a nod to previous German regimes, what with the blonde haired victim being at the hands of unspeakable evil. Probably just me over analysing it though.

I read a few interviews with the director while looking for the supposed true story (it's definitely not based on anything IMO, if it is it's some really vague connection) and i think you may be giving her too much credit. Doubt there's any deeper meaning to it, think it's just a brutal test of faith/confronting evil film. I liked it a lot because it was so brutal and unrelenting but i also wouldn't recommend it to anyone and i would totally get people hating it.

And yeah the film genuinely put me off chicken in real life for a bit, won't tell that disgusting story again though haha.

Unregistered User
I read a few interviews with the director while looking for the supposed true story (it's definitely not based on anything IMO, if it is it's some really vague connection) and i think you may be giving her too much credit. Doubt there's any deeper meaning to it, think it's just a brutal test of faith/confronting evil film. I liked it a lot because it was so brutal and unrelenting but i also wouldn't recommend it to anyone and i would totally get people hating it.

And yeah the film genuinely put me off chicken in real life for a bit, won't tell that disgusting story again though haha.

I reckon the fact we are talking about the chicken scene so much will entice people into watching.

You're probably right on the first bit. As for the second bit, I had a chicken caesar wrap earlier and I nearly wretched.

'Small Town Crime' (2018)

I like John Hawkes, and he was quite good in this dark crime thriller. But it has a weak, weak script and feels like it's probably ripping off a tonne of 1970s crime movies.Starts off quite good fun but just ends up in derivative stock thriller mode.

I liked it a little more but I definitely agree that it didn't wind up as good as it's very promising start.

'Pickup on South Street' (1953)

Classic Noir thriller directed by samuel Fuller. The different characters are intoxicating and the lighting is lovely. I couldn't help thinking of the Cohen Brothers being inspired to borrow from the likes of this while making 'The Man who wasn't there'.

The plot is simple yet works. The viewer starts to root for the 'loveable rogues' and the script reminds us of this by telling us things like "a man's got to eat" etc. Although the ending is a little unsatisfying it's a very decent bit of noir. 7.5 out of 10.

'Beau Travail' (1999)

Claire Denis manages to capture a dream like ethereal quality to this film. It's quite odd but at the same time strangely alluring, contemplative and intriguing. There's not much structure to it and we see lots of different stages of a man's life both in the foreign legion and out of it.

Denis Lavant, as well as having some amazing dance moves, is brilliant in the lead role as a jealous sargeant who has his leadership qualities tested. It's not a straightforward film, more a character study but a worthwhile one. The final 30 mins was especially beautiful.

7/10

Unregistered User
'Pickup on South Street' (1953)

Classic Noir thriller directed by samuel Fuller. The different characters are intoxicating and the lighting is lovely. I couldn't help thinking of the Cohen Brothers being inspired to borrow from the likes of this while making 'The Man who wasn't there'.

The plot is simple yet works. The viewer starts to root for the 'loveable rogues' and the script reminds us of this by telling us things like "a man's got to eat" etc. Although the ending is a little unsatisfying it's a very decent bit of noir. 7.5 out of 10.

Glad you enjoyed this. From what I've seen of Fuller, he's really impressed me.

Unregistered User
What else would you recommend by him? I have 'White Dog' to watch at some point.

1. Shock Corridor
2. The Steel Helmet
3. The Naked Kiss
4. The Big Red One

They are my favourites other than South Street and White Dog.

Shock Corridor could probably make my all time top 20. Start with it.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Ha. You should, let me know what you think. What's the film in your avatar by the way?
If I have an opportunity, I will watch for sure.
My avatar is from "The Dressmaker".