ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

'Golden Exits' (2017)

Alex Ross Perry's slow paced family drama set in New York is intimate, but doesn't really grab the audience at any time. There are some fine performances, especially from Chloe Sevigny. It feels like a Kenneth Lonnergan script Directed by Noah Baumbach but not as comedic. It's shot on Celluloid (super 16) and has that grainy feel to alot of it, which gives it an almost nostalgic tone. At it's heart it's about unhappiness, life choices and anxiety. The dialogue is sharp and almost awkwardly cutting at times from certain characters. I don't think I'd recommend this to many people as one of the films from 2017 as it's one of those movies that perhaps requires an acquired taste, i.e.- script heavy, ensemble cast with very few locations. But I'm glad I saw it.

6/10

'10 timer til Paradis' (Teddy Bear) (2012)

This was a difficult film to track down, but I'm glad I did. A sweet, poignant tale about a 38 year old bodybuilder, who lives with his possessive mother, but just wants a girlfriend. The lead character Dennis is played expertly by Kim Kold, who is a former soccer goalkeeper that took up bodybuilding after a serious injury and now acting. And a fine job he did.

The movie is based on a short film called "Dennis" with the same Director Mads Matthiesen. It has tender, realistic dialogue and moves between Copenhagen, Denmark to Pattaya, Thailand were Dennis searches for a girlfriend.

Overall I'd recommend it for those who enjoy a quiet, downbeat love story.. 7/10

Double bill for the Female Directors countdown, and they're both strong contenders :

'Vagabond' (1985)

A fairly harrowing tale of how society can be as harsh as it can be welcoming. Agnes Varda seems to touch to the state of modern France in the 80s although the title character wasn't without flaws. Just because Mona wanted a different existence to what society expects, it shouldn't mean that she should be rejected at every corner. I think this film was probably ahead of its time in that respect. I also liked how some of the characters broke the 4th wall. It's crushing in it's inevitability. But that's the point.

7/10 at least maybe more

.................................................................................................... .............................................

'The Ascent' (1977)

Wow, this won't only go in the top of my female directors list it will go at the top of my best war films list. Brutal, harrowing, hauntingly realistic. Lots of facial close ups that show the realization of what war is, as it dawns upon the 2 soldiers. It makes the viewer ponder the question of self sacrifice for the greater good.

There are two pretty incredible performances from the leads and some of the camerawork must have been difficult to undertake in those conditions. I was gripped from minute one.I can see how this might perhaps have been a big influence to films like 'Son of Saul'.

Devastating and Unforgettable.

8.5/10

Unregistered User
I watched Vagabond fairly recently and liked it. Keep meaning to watch more from Varda. The Ascent is on my list to watch and I'm glad you enjoyed it, even though I hated Son of Saul.

I watched Vagabond fairly recently and liked it. Keep meaning to watch more from Varda. The Ascent is on my list to watch and I'm glad you enjoyed it, even though I hated Son of Saul.
That's a shame you hated son of saul, I thought it was epic.

'Wild Wild Country' (2018)

This is a 6 part documentary produced by the Duplass brothers and on Netflix. It's about a religious movement (or cult as some would call it) that moved from India in the 1980s and took over a small town in Oregon, USA. What followed was a chaotic 4 years of deceit, lies, violence, murder plots, incarceration, escape bids, movie producers joining the cult and more.

It's put together extremely well and features alot of archive footage that must have been painstaking to edit. What I enjoyed most is the impartial nature it was presented in. There are interviews from the aggrieved townsfolk, members of the cult, attorneys and those who defected. A crazy story and a must watch.

Unregistered User
'Wild Wild Country' (2018)

This is a 6 part documentary produced by the Duplass brothers and on Netflix. It's about a religious movement (or cult as some would call it) that moved from India in the 1980s and took over a small town in Oregon, USA. What followed was a chaotic 4 years of deceit, lies, violence, murder plots, incarceration, escape bids, movie producers joining the cult and more.

It's put together extremely well and features alot of archive footage that must have been painstaking to edit. What I enjoyed most is the impartial nature it was presented in. There are interviews from the aggrieved townsfolk, members of the cult, attorneys and those who defected. A crazy story and a must watch.

I'm halfway through this. Crazy story. Sheelah is one tough cookie!!

Scarlet, have you watched The White Helmets (2016)? Think you'd really like it.
It's on the list. I've been putting it off as I've heard mixed feelings about it and whether it's actually 100% genuine or just propaganda.

'Nil by Mouth' (1997)

Powerful, hard hitting drama. One of great British films of the 90s. Kathy Burke gives a ridiculous performance. The film begs the question of why Gary Oldman has never written and Directed more - but then maybe this is the only one he ever wanted to do given it's subejct content and how it relates to him.

Unregistered User
'Nil by Mouth' (1997)

Powerful, hard hitting drama. One of great British films of the 90s. Kathy Burke gives a ridiculous performance. The film begs the question of why Gary Oldman has never written and Directed more - but then maybe this is the only one he ever wanted to do given it's subejct content and how it relates to him.

Good film. Been a while since I last watched it so due a rewatch but its certainly a hard one to forget. And totally agree, Burke is phenomenal, super talented.

'Manhunt: Unabomber' [Discovery Network]

Very good miniseries focused on the Unabomber serial killer. I have no idea how close it is to the truth, and there was one episode that was particularly off kilter but overall it's a very worthwhile journey. And it looks absolutely stunning too.

Unregistered User
'Manhunt: Unabomber' [Discovery Network]

Very good miniseries focused on the Unabomber serial killer. I have no idea how close it is to the truth, and there was one episode that was particularly off kilter but overall it's a very worthwhile journey. And it looks absolutely stunning too.

Enjoyed this too. I thought Paul Bettany was brilliant, never been a fan of his much.

'Small Town Crime' (2018)

I like John Hawkes, and he was quite good in this dark crime thriller. But it has a weak, weak script and feels like it's probably ripping off a tonne of 1970s crime movies.Starts off quite good fun but just ends up in derivative stock thriller mode.