Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Watched Paterson last night (inspired by the samoan lawyer), and really liked it a lot. The whole film is an ode to the poetry of the ordinary and the unquenchable human thirst for self-expression and creativity. Jarmusch opens a window into a creative mind that processes everyday events into poetic imagery, and, as the film goes on and more nuances and details are added to the mosaic of Paterson's daily routines (seemingly the same but not quite the same, really), we find that the dull repetitive "Groundhog Day-like" reality reveals more and more of its beauty once sifted through his peaceful, all-accepting vision. Adam Driver delivers a quietly understated performance in his portrayal of a “not of this world” person who prefers to take a passive contemplative position toward the world, rather than act decisively to pursue life goals. He is a bus driver and at the same time, metaphorically, the spiritual soul of Paterson NJ - wandering the city almost like a ghost, writing its chronicles.

Excellent film.

Welcome to the human race...
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial -

really helps you understand both the people who like Spielberg's work and also the people who hate it

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Yes! Brando did have Neanderthal behavior in Sayonara, which didn't work for his character....He was also Neanderthal like in A Streetcar Named Desire, but in that movie it fits his character's personality, so I liked him in Streetcar.
I'm glad You share my opinion
In Streetcar he supose to be a Neanderthal. Stanley Kowalski is brutal and common character in the play and Brando played perfectly in the movie.
In Sayonara he should be more gentle - he played there a lover. But he was in this movie like someone who is coming in to a house in bemire shoes and leaving mud on expensive carpets, I You know what I mean.

I'm well aware that a lot of people really didn't like this movie, but I don't care. I'm a fan of the original show and I used to watch this one on HBO all the time as a kid. I liked it then and I like it now and that's all I have to say on the matter.
Hey Steve, glad to hear there's another fan of this movie. I though it was a fresh take on the original as it didn't try to duplicate it, but paid homage to it. Nicole Kidman made the perfect Samantha Stephens!...I loved the original show too.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Nice cold, rainy day yesterday and was able to check off a couple films off my "must see" list.

And....

STILL need to see All That Jazz and a HUGE fan of Maltese Falcon

I just had to sit through The A-Team as my mum decided she wanted to watch it again for some reason. Awful.
Have you caught any of Nathan For You yet, Daniel? Finding Frances was amazing.

Have you caught any of Nathan For You yet, Daniel? Finding Frances was amazing.
I posted about it in the TV thread and sure I mentioned you too. Watch it the day after it aired. Amazing is an understatement. Not his most laugh out loud funny episode but by far the best. Wow. Might be the best hour and twenty minutes of TV I have seen, I honestly thought it was that good. So sad and human, I honestly cried a lot watching it. How does he manage to capture the spectacular things that make us human so perfectly?

A couple of my real life friends (including @weeman) have started watching it recently too. One of them has already told me that it might be the best TV show he has ever seen, and commented on the fact that the thing he finds the funniest are the oddball characters he comes across.

I posted about it in the TV thread and sure I mentioned you too. Watch it the day after it aired. Amazing is an understatement. Not his most laugh out loud funny episode but by far the best. Wow. Might be the best hour and twenty minutes of TV I have seen, I honestly thought it was that good. So sad and human, I honestly cried a lot watching it. How does he manage to capture the spectacular things that make us human so perfectly?

A couple of my real life friends (including @weeman) have started watching it recently too. One of them has already told me that it might be the best TV show he has ever seen, and commented on the fact that the thing he finds the funniest are the oddball characters he comes across.
I have mentions turned off so i missed it. Awesome i said the exact same thing: best episode of tv i've seen. Well it's more like a movie so it was my #1 of 2017. Like you i don't think it was the funniest, that would be the one where they make The Web for me but it was so sad and just amazing storytelling. No doubt it was hilarious too, Ding Dong Daddy killed me; actually just the idea of Bill infiltrating that place with rehearsed lines was amazing. And the rehearsal for meeting Frances "I'm here to marry your wife!" . All of it was unreal and yes very sad. There was a thing going around when Nathan was in the bar with Bill in closed captions it came up "I'm just a sad guy who doesn't want to still be doing the same show after five years" Nathan didn't say that in the scen, some think it was dialogue that was cut at the last minute and some think it was a clue that the show is ending. Hope it's not the latter but if it is he couldn't possibly make a better finale than that.

So cool that weeman and your other friends are into, haven't been able to get any of mine into it so far think the premise turns them off and it's not the best show for short clips. It's a top ten show for me easy and my favourite airing one.

I have mentions turned off so i missed it. Awesome i said the exact same thing: best episode of tv i've seen. Well it's more like a movie so it was my #1 of 2017. Like you i don't think it was the funniest, that would be the one where they make The Web for me but it was so sad and just amazing storytelling. No doubt it was hilarious too, Ding Dong Daddy killed me; actually just the idea of Bill infiltrating that place with rehearsed lines was amazing. And the rehearsal for meeting Frances "I'm here to marry your wife!" . All of it was unreal and yes very sad. There was a thing going around when Nathan was in the bar with Bill in closed captions it came up "I'm just a sad guy who doesn't want to still be doing the same show after five years" Nathan didn't say that in the scen, some think it was dialogue that was cut at the last minute and some think it was a clue that the show is ending. Hope it's not the latter but if it is he couldn't possibly make a better finale than that.

So cool that weeman and your other friends are into, haven't been able to get any of mine into it so far think the premise turns them off and it's not the best show for short clips. It's a top ten show for me easy and my favourite airing one.
Yeah, and when he was pretending to make Mud 2 and he was making them reading the script about there being "so much mud" I was crying with laughter. Amazing.

Yeah I agree, I want more and more, but the creativity and ambition of the show makes it seem impossible to top and sustain, even though Nathan has proved that wrong so far.

Yeah I've been trying to get Luke (weeman) into it for a few weeks now. Me, him and our mate went for a drink the other night and he started talking about how he had started watching the show, not knowing that I had seen it all. I was so happy.

Yeah, and when he was pretending to make Mud 2 and he was making them reading the script about there being "so much mud" I was crying with laughter. Amazing.
Mud 2: Never Clean I so loved that the actor they hired for Mud 2 played Frances' husband in the recreation

Field Punishment No. 1 (Peter Burger, 2014)

NZ tv-movie that's worth a watch even if just for the sake of being conversant with the subject matter imo

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Justice League

The movie nails the most essential thing, the characters. They were all incredibly well realized and seeing them together was a feast. The action was fantastic as it should, and the writing, while inconsistent, is a vast improvement over the worst of the DCEU. While I would say that the good definitely outweighs the bad and I would recommend it, the film still shows signs of some of the Extended Universe worst problems. While not as prominent in Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad, the plot is still messy, the narrative can have some bad structure, and the pacing is wildly inconsistent. Also, worst villain in the entire DCEU.

SCORE - 6.8/10

The Boss Baby

This wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. Obviously the premise is really stupid but there was some laughs and i think Alec Baldwin did a good job. No doubt my niece and nephews enjoyment of it played into my own. It's an alright film to watch with young kids.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)

The Persian language arthouse vampire movie that somehow manages to out-Jarmusch Jim Jarmusch.

A few parts drag a little, but overall this was pretty great. I especially liked the part where the girl and Arash meet and she takes him home and plays White Lies' Death. The soundtrack was good in general and it looks stunning.