Best sci-fi movie since 2000

Tools    

Pretty difficult to choose imo, there's been a lot of great ones. I know a lot of people will answer Children of Men, which I understand.

I'm going to go with Arrival as my answer. However, I was HIGHLY impressed by Ex Machina and feel it belongs on the short list.

I'm also extremely high on Her, The Prestige, Donnie Darko, Snowpiercer,, Looper , Minority Report and Moon.

This might just do nobody any good.
Children of Men is my fave.

Under the Skin is probably a close second. Primer and Upstream Color are both brilliant and make most “smart” sci-fi look like a drawing on a fridge.

Snowpiercer is on par with “CoM”. Dynamic filmmaking and filled with fun performances. Very rewarding on multiple viewings.

A.I. is Spielberg’s most underrated (and, arguably, Kubrick’s, for that matter).

The Fountain is a heartbreaking ease.

The new Planet of the Apes films are blockbuster entertainment done right.

Children of Men is my fave.

Under the Skin is probably a close second. Primer and Upstream Color are both brilliant and make most “smart” sci-fi look like a drawing on a fridge.

Snowpiercer is on par with “CoM”. Dynamic filmmaking and filled with fun performances. Very rewarding on multiple viewings.

A.I. is Spielberg’s most underrated (and, arguably, Kubrick’s, for that matter).

The Fountain is a heartbreaking ease.

The new Planet of the Apes films are blockbuster entertainment done right.
Snowpiercer is brilliant! Actually wanna rewatch it soon.

The Fountain is tragic, but very well made.

Have you seen Moon?

Her
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Mad Max Fury Road
Children of Men
Wall-E
Moon
The Fountain
Attack the Block

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Attack the Block
Yeah this would be up there for me too. According to the Sci Fi Countdown:

01. Wall-E (16)
02. Children of Men (20)
03. Inception (24)
04. Her (25)
05. Eternal Sunshine (27)
06. Moon (29)
07. Ex Machina (30)
08. Arrival (33)
09. Mad Max: Fury Road (37)
10. Gravity (41)
11. Interstellar (43)
12. Primer (44)
13. Sunshine (52)
14. Predestination (56)
15. Serenity (59)
16. The Martian (60)
17. The Avengers (62)
18. Minority Report (63)
19. District 9 (65)
20. Edge of Tomorrow (66)
21. Battle Royale (67)
22. Snowpiercer (70)
23. The Prestige (72)
24. Signs (76)
25. Guardians of the Galaxy (77)
26. Avatar (80)
27. Donnie Darko (83)
28. 28 Days Later (85)
29. Wreck-It Ralph (89)
30. The Man From Earth (91)
31. Source Code (92)
32. Dredd (96)
33. Another Earth (97)
34. The Incredibles (98)
35. Looper (100)

I don't wanna go into a diatribe on Gravity, but to me, it's just not that good.

I should have listed District 9, which is very good.

Sunshine is a good one. Who's seen that?

How AI missed it, yet somehow Avatar made it, is definitely surprising.
The thing i found most surprising was that Minority Report made it and A.I didn't Always thought A.I was the more or at least equally popular of those two Spielberg Sci-Fis, and it's not as if Minority Report just made it it was at #63. A.I is very polarizing though guess that explains it.

Arrival is my #1 as it's just a great piece of filmmaking. Beautifully shot, perfectly directed, great acting, thought-provoking, and extremely tragic yet beautiful. And I know it isn't exactly original, as we've seen a similar premise in Close Encounters and Contact, but Villeneuve's flawless director took it a step further than those films imo, making it into a true masterpiece.

The thing i found most surprising was that Minority Report made it and A.I didn't Always thought A.I was the more or at least equally popular of those two Spielberg Sci-Fis, and it's not as if Minority Report just made it it was at #63. A.I is very polarizing though guess that explains it.
Cruise alone probably makes Minority a bit more popular of the two. But AI should have definitely been on the list, especially over Avatar, which is a steaming pile of crap in my mind.

Let the night air cool you off
Here are the ones what I like:

- Battle Royale (2000)
- Jason X (2001)
- Equilibrium (2002)
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
- Children of Men (2006)
- Paprika (2006)
- WALL-E (2008)

- District 9 (2009)
- Moon (2009)
- Watchmen (2009)
- 4:44 Last Day on Earth (2011)
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
- Source Code (2011)
- Dredd (2012)
- Grabbers (2012)
- Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)
- Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012)
- Her (2013)
- Trudno byt bogom (2013)
- Under the Skin (2013)
- Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
- Ex Machina (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Chappie (2015)

The ones in bold are probably my top five.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Pretty difficult to choose imo, there's been a lot of great ones. I know a lot of people will answer Children of Men, which I understand.

I'm going to go with Arrival as my answer. However, I was HIGHLY impressed by Ex Machina and feel it belongs on the short list.

I'm also extremely high on Her, The Prestige, Donnie Darko, Snowpiercer,, Looper , Minority Report and Moon.
I can agree with most all of your samples, though I did not care for the end of Looper. Children of Men is wonderful, but I cannot watch it again. Similar feelings for The Road.

The Fountain is very much a favorite of mine. I enjoyed Sunshine, but I thought the ending turned into some extreme slasher flick that didn't vibe with the tone of what was presented up to that point.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Also, I misread your earlier post on Arrival as The Arrival (1996). I honestly did not know how to respond given your list of so many other great movies!

A system of cells interlinked
Short list would include:

Ex Machina
Arrival
Children of Men
Coherence
Primer
Sunshine
Minority Report
Moon
The Fountain
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind