Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Fab idea for a thread!
I'm not that familiar with the work of Clara Bow but I am fairly conversant with her brother Dickie.
you and your puns

dumbass me actually had to google that one.
not very educated when it comes to bow ties I'm afraid

Fab idea for a thread!
I'm not that familiar with the work of Clara Bow but I am fairly conversant with her brother Dickie.
Maybe you'll be more familiar with the work of the actor in my next entry. Coming up later tonight

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This is a great idea for a thread, especially with the upcoming 1930s countdown. I've seen a lot of 1940s and 1950s movies, but I haven't seen enough 1930s movies, so I'm looking forward to some great recommendations in this thread.

I've heard of Clara Bow, but I don't think I've seen any of her movies. (In fact, I thought she only made silent movies.) It looks like she only made a few movies in the 1930s, so I'll try to watch a few of them.

This is a great idea for a thread, especially with the upcoming 1930s countdown. I've seen a lot of 1940s and 1950s movies, but I haven't seen enough 1930s movies, so I'm looking forward to some great recommendations in this thread.
Yup that was the idea of this thread, to give and also hopefully get, some strong 1930s movie ideas to watch for the upcoming 1930s Countdown.

I hope you can find some movies to check out, I think you will. Clara Bows are light comedy romance films, except Call Her Savage which is pretty strong drama.

Fair warning: if it's Adam Sandler or Chris Rock I'm out of this thread forever
It would have to be their acting great grandfathers

What I did is: I considered actors and actresses for my Top 62 List based on their work in the 1930s.

What I did is: I considered actors and actresses for my Top 62 List based on their work in the 1930s.
Oh, my bad ... I had it in my head that it was gonna be your top 1,930 actors and actresses from a list you compiled in 62 hours

Oh, my bad ... I had it in my head that it was gonna be your top 1,930 actors and actresses from a list you compiled in 62 hours
WooHoo! that would be one huge list! I need 62 days for that

My #31 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Bela Lugosi

Filmography Biography

Bela Lugosi he might not be the greatest actor, but in the 1930s he OWNED the role of Dracula...and in other atmospheric 1930s horror films he lent his patented swarthy and darkly dangerous persona to many a great horror film.

I actually got into his film carer not from Dracula but from Ed Wood (1994). The D budge director Ed Wood Jr befriended the ageing actor and gave him new life in some rather dubious films. Thanks Ed Wood's friendship, Bela Lugosi was able to check into a hospital and get help for his morphine addiction. Making Bela one of the first movie stars to go publicly with a drug addiction.

Some of Bela Lugosi's finest films that I've seen are:
(the posters are links to MoFos individual movie pages)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bela Lugiso.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	37587  

Like most people of my generation I've seen his Dracula and it's a role that is synonymous with the man for me and strangely enough does actually provide a link to Adam Sandler Other 30s films of his I've seen are Murders In The Rue Morgue, White Zombie, Island Of Lost Souls, The Black Cat all of which are solid. I think I've also seen both Night Of Terror and Son Of Frankenstein (and maybe a couple of his others) but honestly can't remember too much about those. It's a shame that for some he's not held in the esteem he deserves imo.

....Other 30s films of his I've seen are Murders In The Rue Morgue, White Zombie, Island Of Lost Souls, The Black Cat all of which are solid.
Island Of Lost Souls is solid and that film will be coming up under a different actor hint, hint I didn't include it as a Bela Lugosi film, as his part is really small but it's a powerful precode film. I think I read where he was paid next to nothing to be in that movie. I swear Dracula got no respect!

I haven't seen Murders in the Rue Morgue but I will add that to my 30s watch list.
It's a shame that for some he's not held in the esteem he deserves imo.

Island Of Lost Souls is solid and that film will be coming up under a different actor hint, hint I didn't include it as a Bela Lugosi film, as his part is really small but it's a powerful precode film. I think I read where he was paid next to nothing to be in that movie. I swear Dracula got no respect!
Understandable and though I can guess under which actor that film will get it's mention I'll not spoil the anticipation for those that might not be aware of it.

Yup that was the idea of this thread, to give and also hopefully get, some strong 1930s movie ideas to watch for the upcoming 1930s Countdown.

I hope you can find some movies to check out, I think you will. Clara Bows are light comedy romance films, except Call Her Savage which is pretty strong drama.

Call Her Savage doesn't sound like my type of movie, but I'll definitely check out some of her rom-coms.

My #32 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Bela Lugosi

I've seen a few of Bela Lugosi's movies on TCM, but other than Dracula and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, I'm not sure which of his movies I've seen. As you know, I'm not really a fan of horror, but sometimes I watch the old horror movies on TCM when they run a marathon. They're much better than the newer gory slasher movies.

I've seen a few of Bela Lugosi's movies on TCM, but other than Dracula and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, I'm not sure which of his movies I've seen. As you know, I'm not really a fan of horror, but sometimes I watch the old horror movies on TCM when they run a marathon. They're much better than the newer gory slasher movies.
Hi gbg.
Long time no talk! Bedtime here, but just wanted to say hi.
Night night!

Hi gbg.
Long time no talk! Bedtime here, but just wanted to say hi.
Night night!

Hi Capt.

It's been a while, but I'm off to bed in a minute too. Hopefully we'll find some time to talk soon.

Good Night.

#30 Favorite 30's Actress is

Priscilla Lane

Filmography Biography

Priscilla Lane was 22 when she made her first film Varsity Show, in which she played the nice girl singer in a big band. Through out her career she would portray the nice, girl next door image both on and off screen. She's mostly known for her work in the 1940s, but she did star in few choice 1930s movies including:

Four Daughters
(1938) which was Oscar nominated for 5 awards including: Best Picture, Best Director Michael Curtiz and Best Writing Screenplay. Four Daughters was written to highlight Warner Bros new up and coming star Priscilla Lane and features her real life sisters, Lola Lane and Rosemary Lane.

Daughters Courageous (1939) Made by the same director, and starring the same cast
(Claude Rains, the Lane sisters, Gale Page, John Garfield) and with the same story premise of Four Daughters, but with different character names, so not a sequel per say. But still a good film.

Four Wives (1939) If all this isn't confusing, Four Wives is a sequel to the hit movie Four Daughters and has most of the same cast, sans John Garfield. All three of these par well together.

The Roaring Twenties (1939) Priscilla was busy making movies in 1939! And this one was a huge hit and is highly regarded today. It's a period piece looking back at the days of prohibition and mobsters in the 1920s. Stars: James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Priscilla Lane...and has an impressive 7.9 rating on IMDB

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	priscilla_lane_photo.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	37622  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't think ive seen a film of hers yet.

Clara Bow was pretty good in Wings, and obviously Bela Lugosi is the best Dracula.

I'm like you Citizen I didn't really know about Lugosi's addiction until watching the movie Ed Wood either. I have seen pretty much all of the movies mentioned by him and recently, The Body Snatcher where he definitely seems out of it. Regardless, like Raul says, he WAS and is the best Dracula of them all.

I've seen one or two of Lane's. Arsenic & Old Lace where she is more background and, while it has been several decades I have seen The Roaring Twenties and sadly don't remember much of it and really need to see it again. And Four Daughters definitely looks worthwhile.

And Wings is one I've been very curious to check out sometime.

I'm like you Citizen I didn't really know about Lugosi's addiction until watching the movie Ed Wood either. I have seen pretty much all of the movies mentioned by him and recently, The Body Snatcher where he definitely seems out of it. Regardless, like Raul says, he WAS and is the best Dracula of them all.

I've seen one or two of Lane's. Arsenic & Old Lace where she is more background and, while it has been several decades I have seen The Roaring Twenties and sadly don't remember much of it and really need to see it again. And Four Daughters definitely looks worthwhile.

And Wings is one I've been very curious to check out sometime.
Camo really liked The Roaring Twenties, I just rewatched it and liked it even better the second time, though it's mainly a Jimmy Cagney film, Priscilla does have a decent role in it. I really liked Four Daughters that's an under seen classic.

I do remember enjoying Roaring Twenties quite a bit when I saw it. Glad to hear Camo liked it. The man sees some really incredible flicks.
But, yeah, Four Daughters sounds like one I'd enjoy. Especially with Claude Rains in it. Love so many of his movies.

Just rewatched The Roaring Twenties and I too think it's a good watch, sadly the rest of her 30s output is not readily available to me at this time so that remains the sole one of hers from that particular era that I've seen (I do know her from her 40s work as well though).