Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.

Young Girls of Rochefort
+

Pretty darn good; not quite great. It has the vivid, vibrant colors of Umbrellas of Cherbourg, as well as the narrative structure of Lola. It doesn't quite reach the heights of those two films, but I still found this one to be a pleasant experience. Can't wait to watch more from Mr. Demy.

Osaka Elegy
-

Very solid Mizo film. Yeah, it doesn't have the impact of his other works, but a good film nonetheless.

My Night at Mauds

Rohmer's dialogue is a thing of beauty. Characters say one thing, actually believing another, constantly contradicting themselves along the way. That photography.....

Joy (2015)

First, the bad news. Joy has schizophrenia. Not the character but the movie itself. It transitions between a magical fairytale and a paint-by-the-numbers overcoming-adversity biopic whenever it wants. There is no method to its madness which I could discern. Add to that, the fact that the overbearing social message is spelled out in the prologue before being driven home with a G.I. Jane haircut. Emphasizing your trendy humanitarian goals as a director that strongly is a good way to turn me cynical. No need to pat yourself on the back for being prowomen. It's 2015, and this special episode of Shark Tank isn't exactly a bra burning.

Now, the good news. This is David O. Russell's most convincing picture of late, proving he can still craft a narrative that isn't just a thinly veiled vehicle for Oscar noms. Jennifer Lawrence will probably get one anyway and I won't be terribly upset about it either. All in all, it might not have succeeded on every front, but it tried something daring where it could have played it safe. It has balls, and yes, that's the patriarchy talking.

P.S. Never go for the royalty. Mr. Wonderful is taking you for a ride.

http://boxd.it/7Tgkz

Latest Shayari in HIndi
nice.

Air Bud: World Pup
Bill Bannerman | 2000

The Big Short
Adam McKay | 2015

Dude, Where's My Car?
Danny Leiner | 2000

The Hateful Eight
Quentin Tarantino | 2015

Liked this one a lot. Surprised it was much better than I expected.

Edgar Allan Poe

Citizenfour (2014)

This is an Academy award winning documentary about the Edward Snowden story. I was completely riveted until I started losing interest with about a half hour left. It is extremely well made.

The definition of sleaze. Bronson makes a pimp eat his rolex, has racist rants against Japanese people, rapes a pedophile with a giant dildo and eventually has him put in a prison cell with a 450 pound, bear-looking rapist. Bronson ends the film with the line: "now that's justice!" They don't make them like this anymore! Lol

Bronson makes a pimp eat his rolex, has racist rants against Japanese people, rapes a pedophile with a giant dildo and eventually has him put in a prison cell with a 450 pound, bear-looking rapist. Bronson ends the film with the line: "now that's justice!" They don't make them like this anymore! Lol
Oooooh, yes they do. You're not lookin' in the right places!

An improvement over the last one, now there isn't pseudo metal anymore only real metal and from around the world: Brazil, Japan, China, India, Israel are among the countries visited.

SPOTLIGHT
(2015)

A modern American newspaper drama, Spotlight features brilliant performances and an engaging plot about the Boston Globe's uncovering of the Catholic Church's cover-up of priests involved in child molestation cases.

It's great seeing Michael Keaton back to playing serious roles after last year's Oscar nominated performance in Birdman. However, the highlight performance in the film belongs to Mark Ruffalo.

Game Of Thrones - Season 2
David Benioff, D.B. Weiss
Just finished watching the second season of GoT. Although I did like it a bit less than the first one, it's still very captivating and does a good job at bringing new elements in the story to keep it interesting and surprising. The new characters are great, and so are the visual effects. The acting is on point, and the second season still has the same ''just one more episode'' feel to it (and that's awesome). On to the third one now.
+

The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

So I was going to post this rating with half a star less, but I have seen it a few times now and I do think this is a masterpiece. I've talked to Cobpyth about this a few times and we both love it. When I first saw it I was unsure what to think of it in terms of where it would fit into my rankings of Tarantino's filmography, but it has to be right up there near the top, on every viewing I have thought more of it.

First viewing, more focused on plot. The first hour and a half is excellent in terms of character writing, all we know about what these characters is what they say, but we don't trust anyone. I honestly had no idea what on earth was going to happen, but I loved watching it. I won't go talk about the plot really because the less you know the better.

Performances are all superb, Kurt Russell and Michael Madsen are probably the most "standard", but they do their parts well. Tim Roth is f*cking hilarious (so is Mexican Bob) and if it was Waltz in the role he would have an Oscar coming his way again, he has so many great lines "It sure ain't Buster", "Good luck mate" etc., Jennifer Jason Leigh is perfect, her eyes are haunting, so ugly yet there's something hypnotic about her, she nails the psychopathic role without ever having to push it too far. Cobpyth mentioned to me about how good Dern is, at first I thought his performance was quiet a straightforward grumpy old man with not much to say, but repeat viewings and closer attention reveal to me some fantastic acting, the desperation and cutting-ness of his voice, the desperation in his eyes.

The Walton Goggins and Samuel L. Jackson relationship is great. Tarantino really knows how to create great relationships. There are so many moments that I think remind us of similar moments in his other films, we still have similar themes and ideas of different sides yet the moral structure that hold things together, justice, the law, honour, respect, etc.

The soundtrack, superb. Subtle at times, but always really effective, especially in some of the more claustrophobic and/or tense moments. The very final song as the credits it is a fantastic choice. The whole final scene is absolutely perfect, almost brought atears to my eyes all three times. I don't get the complaints about Tarantino being racist, sexist, whatever... to me his characters maybe, but the underlying message is one of progress and empowerment, but I don't want to get too involved in politics.

I could go on and on, there's a lot to talk about, but most of it would be ramblings and I don't want to discuss certain parts too much because of spoilers, but I've had some really great chats with Cobpyth about the film so far.

I can understand why people dislike this maybe. I think certain people go in to the film looking to come out disappointing, but I also think the films different in that there's no clear hero (like Django), it's very dark and nihilistic at times, perhaps has some of Tarantino's most shocking scenes, but I really think that these aren't weaknesses. Maybe he did make it more deliberately f*cked up and grim, maybe some of the scenes are a bit OTT, but I could have watched this for hours more, the writing is great, II think this might be one of Quentin Tarantino's most personal and political film, there's so much going on underneath, the whole thing feels maybe it's like he's trying to say "f*ck you America", I definitely think there's a lot of analysis going on in terms of law, race etc. definitely complex.

Anyway, ramblings over, I hope people enjoy the film. Maybe watch it a couple of times if you weren't sure about the first viewing, I think expectations can be misleading, especially in mysteries. I loved it the first time, enjoyed and appreciated even more on the next two viewings