Rate the Last Short You Saw

Tools    

"Moondrive" Kazuto Nakazawa

Didn't like this one much. I disliked the "crude" style of the art and given the highly experimental nature of the short, hence it's heavy dependence on , I couldn't enjoy it much.

"'Wanwa' the Doggy" Shinya Ohira

Art style mimics the visual designs expected from children's drawings. So it's an attempt to look at the world from the perspective of a child, as if we were living inside a 6 year old crayon drawing. Animation is superb as every technical aspect of the film but it left me a bit cold.

"Toujin Kit" Tatsuyuki Tanaka

Really great and highly detailed art. Show obvious inspiration from Tarkovsky's Stalker, even had the decrepit apartment near a railway and the irritating sound of the train passing though the tracks. This one was really great short film. I found it highly enjoyable and affecting, one of the best shorts I watched recently.

"Dimension Bomb" Koji Morimoto

Great short film from Morimoto. He is indeed one of the foremost animation directors in the world. A must watch for fans of animation, this short is extremely surrealistic and visually aggressive and audacious, exploring the artistic possibilities of animation. Powerful, haunting and featuring some amazing art and animation, this is a "winner".

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
La Concejala Antropofaga a.k.a. The Cannibalistic Councelor
(Pedro Almodóvar, 2009)

Almodovar at his best!!! The script is amazing! One of the funniest shorts I've seen recently!

Great. Now I have to take a leak.

I only saw this now! Manoel de Oliveira could do great things from time to time, but dafuq is that?

World of Tomorrow (2015)

Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.

Don Hertzfeldt is one of the most brilliant minds in animation right now. This, while not his best work (It's Such a Beautiful Day remains unpaired), is still very touching and creative. There's a change in style but the essential is still there.

+

Sergey Pikalov, 2014

An old man outlived everyone. His only companionship is an old fridge, that makes noises, he records those noises. I don't want to say much about this short-film, it can have a lot of different interpretations.