Mozart in the Jungle - Sex, Drugs and Classical Music

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Mozart in the Jungle is a TV Show about the backstage of the classical music world! It portrays everything that happens in the rehearsals of an orchestra, the relationships between the musicians and how they are different or equal to the other human beings.

As a classical musican myself, I recognize a lot of what's shown here and I think most people will be really surprised by it! Give it a try!

Mozart in the Jungle is a TV Show about the backstage of the classical music world! It portrays everything that happens in the rehearsals of an orchestra, the relationships between the musicians and how they are different or equal to the other human beings.

As a classical musican myself, I recognize a lot of what's shown here and I think most people will be really surprised by it! Give it a try!
They've been showing commercials for this show on the CBS website...it features Malcolm McDowell and Bernadette Peters and that's reason enough for me to start watching. Do you know where it can be watched from the beginning?

The pilot was released on February 2014 I think and the rest of the episodes only on December 24th. I've been watching it illegally because it doesn't air in Portugal!

So, I just watched all 10 episodes of the first season and here are my thoughts:

The way the orchestra life is portrayed is very faithful to the truth! It's a like a micro-cosmos where there are all sorts of people, with very different backgrounds, very different egos and different ways to look at music and life. It might be interesting for the general public to realize that a classical musician is not an ecletic alien that lives in a different world and that only listens to classical music!

It's also amazing the way the problems that musicians and classical music has. There's a quote I liked: "Classical music has been losing money for people for 500 years. It's not a business!" and that really sums up most of the problems that classical music is living nowadays with the economic crises. This show is about showing people why should they keep investing money in culture! It may not be profitable but it pays in other ways!

Also, as a young musician myself trying to suceed, I loved how they showed the chaotic life of a musician in the beggining of his career, hoping for his first opportunity! It shows perfectly the sacrifices one has to make to succeed as a musician, something most people don't really understand!

It is very well written, it has some good stuff of cinematography though it's not perfect and the acting is superb, especially from Gael Garcia Bernadez and Malcom McDowell.

The one bad thing I could say about it is that they really should get real musician to play some of the orchestra members, it's obvious they don't know how to play sometimes! And Gael really must work on his conducting! For a genious conductor, he moves his arm like a 10 year old!

I just hope they don't cancel this, the first season was very very solid and this show is generally a blow of fresh air on what's been airing lately!

If you have the chance, please give it a try! Each episode has 20-30 minutes, it's not very long and you will love it!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm disappointed. I thought it's your personal list on classical music.

"- So is it true?
- What?
- Most musicians grow up in a home with musical instruments just laying aroun?
- No, what's true is that most musicians grow up living a life of complete solitude and having absolutely no fun, ever."

"We're world class musicians. We have chosen this to be our lives. We have chosen a profession which is hard on relationships, which is hard on our bodies, whic requires constant practice and dedication which practically no one else can understand. This is a difficult vocation, but I ask you now: how many of you would choose a different one?"

So, I just devoured the season 2.

There's a couple of things I really really liked!

The conflict between artists and who funds them seems to be one of the main issues of this whole series. It started in the first season as a kind of secondary plot element, but in this one it's absolutely central. And I can say I like it very much! Of course, as a musician, it's hard no to agree with the arguments of the orchestra, but I can see the other side too!

Also, the amount of cameos of famous musicians is incredible! We have Lang Lang, Dudamel, Emanuel Ax, Joshua Bell, etc. It's amazing to see a classical musician be treated as a celebrity, for a change!

I loved the way Hailey's character is evolving! She is slowly leaving the "nerdy" age and becoming a confident woman who enjoys life to its most instead of being practicing 24/7. I think she's more balanced now and to see that happen was amazing because it really happens this way on real life!

A few things I didn't like. Please, pleeeease, teach Gael Garcia Bernal how to fake better his conducting and put more god*amn musicians in the orchestra, it's embarassing seeing a flute player playing without blowing!!!
Also, the relationship between Hailey and Rodrigo is something I don't understand. In my opinion, or it should exist or not. The way it is now doesn't work, it's like the producers don't know what to do about it.

I became curious about this show after it won the Golden Globe for Outstanding Comedy Series and I also learned that my divine Bernadette Peters is involved, so I found a website where I can watch the show from the beginning...will probably be binge-watching all weekend and will get back to you with my opinion.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
http://www.tubefilter.com/2016/01/15...-free-weekend/

Amazon’s Golden Globe-Winning ‘Mozart In The Jungle’ Is Available For Free This Weekend

Amazon has a binge-watching option for internet users and entertainment fans for the weekend. For a limited time over the next few days, the e-commerce and digital video giant will release both seasons of its original Golden Globe-winning series Mozart in the Jungle for free.

Mozart in the Jungle, a dramatic comedy set in San Francisco’s classical music scene, just scored Amazon two Golden Globe awards on January 10, 2016, one for Best TV Series (Comedy or Musical) and one for Best Actor (Comedy or Musical) for the show’s star Gael Garcia Bernal. To celebrate the award-winning success of yet another one of its originals, Amazon confirmed the series will be free to anyone who wants to stream it this weekend. Normally, only Prime subscribers in the territories U.S., UK, Germany, Japan, and Austria have access to Mozart in the Jungle.

This is not the first time Amazon has celebrated the success of its original series by giving away free access. In 2015, the streaming video provider’s other hit series Transparent landed the same two Golden Globe awards. Amazon then made the first season of Transparent available for free for one day, waiving the normal $99 subscription fee to Prime just to tout the success of its series (and possibly get more people interested in subscribing to Prime anyway).

You can watch Mozart in the Jungle for free through Amazon Instant Video, from 9 PM EST on January 15 through midnight local time on January 17.

http://www.tubefilter.com/2016/01/15...-free-weekend/

Yep. I wanna know what are some good composers like Schubert. All Classical composers I know are cited in Nodame Cantabile.
My singing teacher uses to say (half seriously-half joking) that the best melody writers in the history of music are Schubert and then Tom Jobim!

Well, I began my binge over the weekend and watched the first six episodes of season one. Even though the show is presented on a pretty original canvas, that being the world of classical music, what we have here is basically another look at the cutthroat world of show business and those the fragile and hyper-sensitive egos of those who inhabit it. Love Malcolm McDowell as Thomas, the recently ousted conductor of the New York Symphony and Bernadette Peters is wonderful as the head of the symphony board, the woman in charge of the symphony bottom line, but the real revelation in this story so far is Gael Garcia Bernal as Rodrigo, the eccentric and brilliant new conductor for the symphony who has hired an aspiring oboe player named Hailey (Lola Kirke) who is pursuing a relationship with an aspiring dancer (Peter Vack). Kirke's Hailey is supposedly the leading character here and her character is being written with a Zoey Deschanel quirkiness; however, this actress is no Zoey Deschanel and she has no chemistry with Bernal and sadly, the majority of the show seems to be written around them. The supporting characters are a lot more fun that the leads and a lot of the drug use seems kind of forced...I have a hard time believing that so many classical musicians smoke weed, but I don't know for sure. I will say I understand why Bernal recently won a Golden Globe for his work because he's fabulous. I loved when he had the orchestra play a piece without their instruments and I'm looking forward to the rest of season one.

Well, I began my binge over the weekend and watched the first six episodes of season one. Even though the show is presented on a pretty original canvas, that being the world of classical music, what we have here is basically another look at the cutthroat world of show business and those the fragile and hyper-sensitive egos of those who inhabit it. Love Malcolm McDowell as Thomas, the recently ousted conductor of the New York Symphony and Bernadette Peters is wonderful as the head of the symphony board, the woman in charge of the symphony bottom line, but the real revelation in this story so far is Gael Garcia Bernal as Rodrigo, the eccentric and brilliant new conductor for the symphony who has hired an aspiring oboe player named Hailey (Lola Kirke) who is pursuing a relationship with an aspiring dancer (Peter Vack). Kirke's Hailey is supposedly the leading character here and her character is being written with a Zoey Deschanel quirkiness; however, this actress is no Zoey Deschanel and she has no chemistry with Bernal and sadly, the majority of the show seems to be written around them. The supporting characters are a lot more fun that the leads and a lot of the drug use seems kind of forced...I have a hard time believing that so many classical musicians smoke weed, but I don't know for sure. I will say I understand why Bernal recently won a Golden Globe for his work because he's fabulous. I loved when he had the orchestra play a piece without their instruments and I'm looking forward to the rest of season one.
Agree with you in almost everything.

About the weed, you have no idea! I studied engineering before being a professional musician and even with all the parties engineers throw, the weed use among classical musicians is 100 times higher!

Just finished season 1 episode seven and there is one thing I can't deny is that I am absolutely in love with the character of Rodrigo, played Gael Garcia Bernal, an absolutely unique and unpredictable TV character who keeps me riveted to the screen. I loved that scene where he encountered the little girl who played the flute who was watching the horse eat cake...that scene simultaneously melted my heart and made me squirm and I think that's what television should always do. Episode 8 found me wishing that Debra Monk's character would stop being such a bitch to Hailey. I iked that Hailey had her first lesson with Monk and then Hailey gave her first lesson to that guy she met at the party. Didn't like seeing Hailey made to look like a fool, though it wasn't totally surprising. And as much as I love Rodrigo, that scene where Gloria (Bernadette Peters) was reading the letter from Thomas' wife, I realized I really miss Malcolm McDowell as Thomas and was thrilled when she tracked him down. I'm also a little unclear as to exactly how Cynthia (Saffron Burrows) feels about Thomas...does she really love him?

Wrapped up season one tonight...Betty's disappearance was just a little too convenient, even if the character is a total bitch. And I hate Anna Maria, I hope she's not going to be on too long. Glad that Thomas is back but he is clearly not the same Thomas that left.

Just finished season two episode 3 and I cannot believe that we had to wait thirteen episodes to hear Bernadette Peters sing and I'm looking forward to Rodrigo talking Gloria back onstage so we can hear that divine voice. And I;m so glad Betty got hurt because Hailey continuing to explain to everyone that she is a "sub" has gotten really annoying, oh, and even though he only had two minutes onscreen, I already hate Lennox.

So season 3 is out, I just finished the 3rd episode. It's nice that they finally decided to tackle singers. I just wish they didn't use Maria Callas as stereotype... She was unique, she didn't represent all the singers so it's an unfair portrait. And putting Monica Bellucci as a retired soprano? Come on...

And the fake conducting and singing is actually getting worse...

I really have to get back to this show...I'm watching so much other stuff that this one sort of got lost in the shuffle but with a lot of shows on Xmas break right now, it might be chance to binge/catch-up on this one.