24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Count me in as a Fan of The Warriors.
I really need to see The Driver and 48 hrs sometime.
Same here, in both accounts (fan of The Warriors, and needing to see those other films of his)

I've never liked The Warriors that much. It's one of those massively overrated films in my books. There are also some negative personal associations regarding that film (it was the movie I watched as a kid the day my father died), but I don't think they had that much effect when I rewatched it a couple of years ago.

The trick is not minding
I've never liked The Warriors that much. It's one of those massively overrated films in my books. There are also some negative personal associations regarding that film (it was the movie I watched as a kid the day my father died), but I don't think they had that much effect when I rewatched it a couple of years ago.
Right, don’t get me wrong, it’s not some great Classic or anything, but rather a enjoyable film that manages to entertain me with its fight scenes.

The Day of the Jackal (1973)

Like many of its contemporaries, The Day of the Jackal looks gorgeous. The colors, shooting on real locations, picture composition, and practically everything just pleases my eye more than almost anything done today. It feels so natural compared to many modern films that have an artificial and staged feel to them.

Storywise, The Day of the Jackal isn't bad either. I like its pacing and how it gives enough time to build both sides of the story. The Jackal himself comes out as a sociopath (which, to be honest, is probably a beneficial trait in his line of business) and calculating professional. Lebel, on the other hand, is more humane with his family and visible stress. As a whole, it's a well-written cat and mouse game that doesn't rely on outlandish twists.

I personally like how The Day of the Jackal uses politics only as a catalyst without taking too much of a moral stance. It gives rudimentary reasoning why OAS wants de Gaulle dead while the authorities are just doing their jobs. There's no artificial division to good and evil, but two competing ideas of France. This adds to the film's natural looks, and together they give the film a sense of realism.

Police procedurals and agents aren't my favorite subject, but The Day of the Jackal is in the upper echelon of its kind. A solid movie.

1990: The Bronx Warriors, on the other hand...

Well, it's so bad, it's good, at least.
I've actually given this and The Warriors the same rating on IMDb. The sequel to that Bronx film is a further step into badness, though.

The trick is not minding
1990: The Bronx Warriors, on the other hand...

Well, it's so bad, it's good, at least.
I know of this film. I started it, then stopped. Never got back to it.

I know of this film. I started it, then stopped. Never got back to it.
If you haven't watched In a Glass Cage yet, watch it afterwards. Its blend of silliness and adorable badness make it the perfect palate cleanser.

The Whisperers

Without having read the reviews, I thought this was a horror movie going in. The first couple of minutes had me thinking it was some unusual ghost story but it definitely seemed off. I quickly realized that it was actually kitchen sink drama. I like kitchen sink, but it's dreary, and this one was even more dreary than usual.

I thought of my wife and I and what happens when we get older since we have no children or family, and I liked the direction the movie seemed to be going in at first. I think it goes in the wrong direction with the money and hoodlums and would have been better off just focusing on how an old lonely woman fits into society. Instead I thought about everyone; those who take advantage and cut corners, their victims, and how they got there. The movie ended up being sad, but more in a big picture type of way. England was my favorite place as a kid and I visited often. Boy do some of these movies portray it as dismal. Very strong performances and it all looks the way it should. I just won't remember it next week.

-

Antwon Fisher: Hadn't seen this since it was first released. I'm quite the sucker for a well constructed melodrama so this one reeled me in nicely. The performances are really good, with maybe the exception of a couple children roles. Very cool to see Viola Davis knock it out of the park in five minutes of screen time, and less than five lines. The last half hour, in general, is really great and had me crying more than once.

Really enjoyed this watch. Glad it was nominated because it isn't a movie I would have been compelled to return to.

I braved the snow to get to the mailbox, still no Dolce Vita
Plot twist: I stole it from your mailbox a few days ago.

Okay, well, I guess it's not a secret anymore since I just revealed it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Sea Inside

I had heard of this before and it seemed like a film that would be up my alley, so thanks to @MovieGal for nominating this and getting me to finally see it.

Who knew that a film largely talking about death could be oh so powerful. I obviously think Bardem was tremendous here, but it's really the realistic relationships between his character and Julia and Rosa that drive the film. Everything about their connections felt so genuine that this almost felt like these were the real people.

To me the film shows the power of dreams pretty well. I loved the scene where Bardems character jumped out of the window and went to the Beach to meet Julia. We never know what life will strike with tragedy but hopefully we will always have our dreams. And it's great to hold onto memories too, even if we don't get too much of those from Ramon, it obviously is important to keep us all moving forward.

So yeah, great acting, really good storytelling and the film looked pretty good too. Not the happiest of films in the world yet it seems to have a light at the end of the tunnel sort of feeling to it with the relationships that he had built. The film puts you in the shoes of Ramon and makes you feel as if you are there. That's the beauty of how powerful cinema can sometimes be. Great nomination.

Plot twist: I stole it from your mailbox a few days ago.

Okay, well, I guess it's not a secret anymore since I just revealed it.
Hey, um, next time how about we use those spoiler tags, pal?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
And here's where we are at:

Cricket 13/16
Suspect 3/16
Citizen 9/16
Wylde 4/16
Sean 10/16
Spelingerror 6/16
Torgo 8/16
Ed 4/16
Pahak 8/16
Raul 9/16