Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

The Family Man

In the end, he follows her to the airport and begs her to not leave for Paris. Their roles reversed, he somehow convinced her to stay. But it felt it too contrived. It’s clear the regret went both ways. But it’s 13 years later and she’s willing to give up her life for him and that felt a tad phony. I get it, the movie needed a happy ending. But it didn’t arrive to this conclusion in a way I felt satisfied with...
I agree with you. As much as I like the movie I don't like the way the final scene played out. I mean I get that the producers needed a happy ending. BUT if I had my way the ending would've gone like this:

Nic Cage arrives at the airport and tries to convince Téa to stay. But she says she can't and it's been too long. So Cage turns around and starts walking out of the airport...but then he hears her say something and turns around and she says, 'call me, I'll be at the such-such hotel in Paris'. Close up on Cage, who has a look of guarded optimism. Then the camera pans out as Cage walks out of the airport.

The trick is not minding
I agree with you. As much as I like the movie I don't like the way the final scene played out. I mean I get that the producers needed a happy ending. BUT if I had my way the ending would've gone like this:

Nic Cage arrives at the airport and tries to convince Téa to stay. But she says she can't and it's been too long. So Cage turns around and starts walking out of the airport...but then he hears her say something and turns around and she says, 'call me, I'll be at the such-such hotel in Paris'. Close up on Cage, who has a look of guarded optimism. Then the camera pans out as Cage walks out of the airport.
That would have made for a more profound ending yeah. But really, I prefer more sad/bleak endings anyways. But you’re right, it isn’t meant to be that kind of film.
What do you think Cash’s purpose was for showing him this glimpse? You and I both remarked he wasn’t a bad man. And to take it all away from him? What’s the point exactly? Like to hear your thoughts on it

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think Run Lola Run is a good example of What would happen if....

I've had the DVD of Run Lola Run sitting on my shelf for a couple of years. Someday I might actually watch it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Glad you liked it, I just wanted to see it again that's why I chose it It's my type of film. I recently seen Téa Leoni in Fun with Dick and Jane along with Jim Carrey. I'd never seen that film and it was great fun and Téa was great fun in it.

Have you seen the original version of Fun with Dick and Jane with George Segal and Jane Fonda? If so, how is the remake compared to the original?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Another one not on the line-up, I watched the 2009 Jim Carrey animated A Christmas Carol today. What a load of rubbish. Why did they feel the need to add in creepy horror-y shape-changing ghosts and skeletons and at the same time Scrooge running over a barrel and falling on to the floor in a silly pratfally way? It was like they didn't trust the nature and tone of the original story to entertain kids, even though this version uses some of the lines that get missed out of other versions. I didn't like the animation either, too uncanny and ugly.

Another one not on the line-up, I watched the 2009 Jim Carrey animated A Christmas Carol today. What a load of rubbish.
I tried to watch that one a couple years ago when I was on a Scrooge/Christmas Carol movie kick. I made it like 10 minutes into the film and then shut if off. I hated the fakey CG look of the film.

The trick is not minding
The Year Without Santa Clause

Confession. Outside of Rudolph, Frosty and Charlie Browns Christmas, I’m not very familiar with Christmas cartoons. So I didn’t recognize this upon nomination reveals.
That said, it’s not bad. I kind of enjoyed it even. The songs aren’t catchy, with the exception of the Miser Bros intros (which somehow I do recognize even though I haven’t watched this previously).
But it’s the story really. About the power of belief and how one child means that much to Santa that reminds him that, yeah, he’s needed.
And the little girl drawing a picture of herself sad, complete with tear, is a nice touch.
The animation is nice considering it’s time period, and the voices aren’t so bad. The characters are kind of funny as well, mostly the reindeer. The looks on their faces says it all.
Good nomination. Short and sweet.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Family Man
For some reason Nic Cage movies work for me and this was pretty decent too. Him and Tea Leoni made a pretty solid one two punch
Really nothing is spectacular about it, it just seems to have a bit of charm to it which works for me for whatever reason. It's a fairly well told story. Interesting choice of music in the film.

Do add me to the list though of one who doesn't care for the ending. I liked how the beginning went but I would have chose a bit of a different way to end it too. Overall a fun holiday flick, even if not as serious of a holiday movie as a few of the others here.

...What do you think Cash’s purpose was for showing him this glimpse? You and I both remarked he wasn’t a bad man. And to take it all away from him? What’s the point exactly? Like to hear your thoughts on it
Sorry for the late reply, I've been swamped with work. I'm guessing Cash's purpose for showing Jack a glimpse of the family life he never had, was that Jack had shown kindness to Cash by buying the lottery ticket and then giving him career advice. Jack says that 'he has it all', and he's not bragging he truly believes he has it all. So Cash gives him a glimpse, showing Jack what he has missed in life.

But was that glimpse a gift? Or was it more of a punishment? Yes Jack ends up happy with his kids and family. But in the end, like Suspect said, those kids are gone forever and so is that family life.

It could be said that Cash 'punished' Jack by giving a glimpse of something he could never really have. In the beginning of the film when Jack and Cash are on the street, Cash does point a gun at Jack and ask him if he wants to die. And Cash does seem outraged when Jack suggested that Cash could work hard and make something out of himself. So maybe the glimpse was payback? If the ending had been darker it might be viewed as payback.

What do you guys think?

A Christmas Carol
(1951)
Directed by Brian Desmond Hurst
nominated by @Edarnsal

The story of Ebenezer Scrooge, a man whose life was miserable. With no love from his father, while being a child, and mishaps throughout his life, he knew no love most of his life. While a young man he did fall in love with a young woman and he loved his sister dearly, who passed away at a young age.

Scrooge, being a hardened man, was visited on Christmas morn by 3 specter visitors. Each one showing him, what his life was before, currently is, and what is to be. Each one showing him happy moments and sad moments. Through these visions, Scrooge learned that life is better when everyone is happy, including himself.

In a way, A Christmas Carol has the same story as another nomination of this Hall of Fame. It shares the story with The Family Man. They both show us what life could have been if we took a different road. Each one of us is set on a path with many branches/decisions to make and to follow those decisions or not. Ebenezer took the path of a cold and lonely life as did Jack Campbell where the money leads to personal loneliness. Ebenezer was able to reconcile with his nephew and his wife where Jack tried to reconcile with his college sweetheart in the end but it didn't lead him where he "could have" gone.

Perhaps The Family Man is our modern-day story of A Christmas Carol.

The trick is not minding
Sorry for the late reply, I've been swamped with work. I'm guessing Cash's purpose for showing Jack a glimpse of the family life he never had, was that Jack had shown kindness to Cash by buying the lottery ticket and then giving him career advice. Jack says that 'he has it all', and he's not bragging he truly believes he has it all. So Cash gives him a glimpse, showing Jack what he has missed in life.

But was that glimpse a gift? Or was it more of a punishment? Yes Jack ends up happy with his kids and family. But in the end, like Suspect said, those kids are gone forever and so is that family life.

It could be said that Cash 'punished' Jack by giving a glimpse of something he could never really have. In the beginning of the film when Jack and Cash are on the street, Cash does point a gun at Jack and ask him if he wants to die. And Cash does seem outraged when Jack suggested that Cash could work hard and make something out of himself. So maybe the glimpse was payback? If the ending had been darker it might be viewed as payback.

What do you guys think?
I don’t think it was punishment, so much as he gave Jack a chance to change his life. Deep down, Jack knew he was lonely. Cash sensed it. He wanted, for the kind gesture Jack had done (“You did a good thing, Jack.”Was his quote), show him what he was missing.
Especially after Jacks boast about having it all.
I think Cash’s responses are in line with anyone dealing with assumptions about them. And just a rebuke and nothing more.
Strange how thought provoking it ha and one though, for a Nic Cage film.

The trick is not minding
Went out and rented Scrooge. Double dvd set that comes with the 1935 version with Seymour Hicks as well. Back to back viewings to follow this week after I get home from celebrating my Bday