Unforgiven

→ in
Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Once again, I feel like I missed the boat. It's a well put together film and has some good acting, but there isn't really any magic there.

WARNING: spoilers below
I can honestly say the only great part is him taking that drink. Everything seemed to have been done before. The finale in the saloon is kinda bothersome when there are 15 vs. 1 and no one shoots? Everyone has heard the legend and they are all scared to shot? Nobody is gonna take a potshot at him from the shadows when he is leaving Greely's?

It's a really good movie, but I don't get all the praise. I guess westerns aren't my thing. The first thing I thought after watching this, "it must have been a bad year for movies in 92' ".

Once again, I feel like I missed the boat. It's a well put together film and has some good acting, but there isn't really any magic there.

I can honestly say the only great part is him taking that drink. Everything seemed to have been done before. The finale in the saloon is kinda bothersome when there are 15 vs. 1 and no one shoots? Everyone has heard the legend and they are all scared to shot? Nobody is gonna take a potshot at him from the shadows when he is leaving Greely's?

It's a really good movie, but I don't get all the praise. I guess westerns aren't my thing. The first thing I thought after watching this, "it must have been a bad year for movies in 92' ".
That's taking everything incredibly literally, it's a deconstruction of the western genre featuring and directed by the biggest star of the western genre post-john wayne. All of the badass shootouts in the best western films are ridiculous as good as they are not one of them logically make sense. Clint has placed himself as a vile POS character into the middle of a conflict he doesn't want to be involved in, Clint absolutely doesn't approve of Munny at any time yet he knows he'll be remembered for the bad-as-s last scene. He rides off into the dark and rain rather than the day and sun like say every John Wayne character ever, as an old man with no prospects rather than a strapping young man that could easily be the sheriff in the next town.

That's taking everything incredibly literally, it's a deconstruction of the western genre featuring and directed by the biggest star of the western genre post-john wayne. All of the badass shootouts in the best western films are ridiculous as good as they are not one of them logically make sense.
I figured there was a lot of analysis and meaning I missed.

I'm lost on what that finale meant, because it was almost cartoonish. Most of the stuff until then was believable and then a bunch of armed men roll over and die.

I didn't have an emotional connection with anyone but Morgan Freeman. The abundant praise build-up and not being a big western fan probably hurt me the most.

I figured there was a lot of analysis and meaning I missed.

I'm lost on what that finale meant, because it was almost cartoonish. Most of the stuff until then was believable and then a bunch of armed men roll over and die.

He comes in behind them pointing a shotgun at them all, one of them could make a move and he'd die if any of them did but why would they? Who are the guys beneath the big boss in all of the big westerns? They are disposable we never think of them, here they are presented with the choice of blind loyalty or self preservation and they take the latter on droves just like real life.

A bunch of armed men is being disingenous for the record. Someone with a gun that's discharge can spread across the room already drawn and cocked and ready to blast at a moments notice is something each individual in that room is going to have to consider before deciding they're going to be the big man in that situation.

It's open to debate. To me that is a bunch.

You make a lot of good points above, but that's a lot of qualifiers that I would have to consider to make those conclusions. I didn't, so I don't think I would ever come up with that stuff of my own accord.

It's open to debate. To me that is a bunch.

You make a lot of good points above, but that's a lot of qualifiers that I would have to consider to make those conclusions. I didn't, so I don't think I would ever come up with that stuff of my own accord.

As i said it's a response to Classic Westerns, it make no less sense than most of the shootouts in those. You are trying to think of it as a straightforward shootout, trying to decide if it has logic on its side which isn't the point. Even then it makes enough sense for the reasons i said above. At the very least it shines a light on the people other than the 'good' and 'bad' guy, it gives them some sense of purpose which is the main reason it's hard to take.

Someone corners you with a loaded and readied shotgun in a small, crowded room has the upper hand particularly if there's alot of you and if he's angry and willing to die like Munny. "A bunch" is an irrelevant distinction at that point. At that point you've got to decide if you are thinking of yourself or the boss, the former is how they overwhelmingly go which isn't surprising, self preservation trumps the vast majority of stuff in life even if you tell yourself otherwise, Stalker tackles the same thing with the brother/money thing.