My Top 5 Directors

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I made one last year when I joined this forum:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ighlight=neiba

It's really outdated because I watched many great movies since I finished that list so I'll start doing my Top 100 probably next month as soon as I rewatch some old favourites!

Can't comment on all Fincher's films as I've not seen Gone Girl yet , but Se7en and Zodiac have equal top placings for me
If you liked Se7en and Zodiac, you should definitely should watch Gone Girl! It's the closest Fincher got to his best the past few years!

1. Stanley Kubrick

Anyone that has known me around here for some time knew this was coming.

Stanley Kubrick was not a particularly good student in school. However, he soon showed abilities in other fields: chess and photography. Those are two of the most defining features of his filmography: rationality and visual perfection.

Kubrick's career can be divided in 2 parts. He made his first 5 movies while he was living in USA. From this period, I'd only highlight Paths of Glory, one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made.
After some artistic problems in Spartacus (1960) he moved to UK and this is when the genius comes out. From Lolita (1964) till Eyes Wide Shut (1999), he created 8 tremendous masterpieces that changed cinema history forever, including 2001: A Space Odissey (to many the best Sci-Fi ever made), A Clockwork Orange (the most traumatizing movie experience of my life) and Dr. Strangelove (a dark comedy about the Cold War that will never cease to make me laugh).

Many people call his movies "cold" or "emotionless"... I couldn't disagree more! To me, Kubrick was a man that believed in the worst of humanity and all his work reflects some kind of human perversion.
Adding to that an obsession with perfection and a super intelligence and the result is not a fun movie to watch but definitely a powerful one. I can say 2001: A Space Odissey and A Clockwork Orange are among the most mind changing experiences I have ever had, movie related or not. I can also say I cried on 6 of his movies and not because the stories were sad, only because I couldn't handle the intensity.
To me, he is the single most brilliant mind that ever looked through a camera and I can't possibly imagining me liking more any director than I like him.

How I rate his movies:

Fear and Desire (1953)

Killer's Kiss (1955)

The Killing (1956)
-

Paths of Glory (1957)

Spartacus (1960)

Lolita (1962)
-
Dr. Strangelove (1964)

2001: A Space Odissey (1968)
+
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
+
Barry Lyndon (1975)

The Shining (1980)

Full Metal Jacket (1987)
+
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
+

Woody Allen is a pedophille
2. Quentin Tarantino

Quentin Tarantino is my favorite
Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Kill Bill Vol. 2

Django Unchained

Inglourious Basterds

Jackie Brown

Death Proof

There's something about Jackie Brown... The only people who actually love it more than his other movies are the only people don't like Tarantino! Maybe because it's the only one he didn't write the original story of...

Ending it off with Tarantino and Kubrick? Well I can't say no to that! Awesome picks!

Congrats on finishing your list neiba. Good write-ups too, describes the directors perfecty.