If you were a director...

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I know some of the members here are studying cinema or did at some point.
I am also sure that there are a lot of people who never had any experience in making a movie but would love to, if they had a chance (like myself).

So, the question is: if you had the chance to make movies what would be your greatest influences (in terms of specific films or directors)?
Is there any element you would like to be present in your movies? Any way you would tell the story that it would make it your own?

As for me, I would search for a way to create physical response on the audience, using strong visuals and soundtrack.
I would aim to recreat the feeling that Requiem for a Dream or A Clockwork Orange created in me (easier said than done, I imagine). So, Kubrick and Aronofsky would be my greatest influences!

I'm not sure which director would be my biggest influence at this point, but my ideal film right now would pretty much look like a Kubrick/Winding Refn/Malick/Tarkovsky mixture, which would probably make my movie look like an extremely pretentious and self-indulgent music video

In other words, it'd either make you want to puke or you'd love the f--- out of it.

If I was a director of a TV series (versus a movie) - an idea I had is to have the show have multiple continuities running together - that would be something truly original - it'd be tricky to work this without being confusing.

Just as an example of what I mean - if I was directing the Sopranos then I might include episodes with an alternate continuity (such as what if "the Russian" in the Pine Barrens episode had killed Paulie and Christopher? How would the show have continued to play out), but at the same time the "original continuity" would play interchangeably - and it would leave viewers wondering which one "really happened", or guessing which alternate continuity the new episodes were a part of (the episodes would also leave clues as to which plot they were following).

This might not be a hit for the average TV-goer but it would be the first of its kind.

Mix of Tarantino. Kevin Smith and Nolan. So probably there would be a two best friends - superhero who is a stoner and a gangster just chilling all day in the mall, talking about sex, drugs, pop culture and a meaning of life. The story should go backwards to make any sense, there would be a lot cool twists and subplots, with other characters like mall guard with dark past, called Joker(because he never smiles), and gang of female shop robbers, who want to execute every last motha..cka in the mall. This should be a criminal comedy, with a lot of witty dialogues and violence and made of a budget not more than 30000 dollars.

I like movies that feel real and genuine. I enjoy a good sci-fi or thriller, but there is always a part of me that says this is just a movie. Something grounded in reality. A movie like Silver Linings Playbook is perfect example of what I'd shoot for, in that vein. Or the movie 50/50. A movie that the people feel real and the situations seem authentic. Emphasize on character.

I want to write a screenplay. I'm just a sh*t writer ha. I'm hoping to try and crank one out by years end.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I'm currently trying my at hand screenwriting, I don't expect it to go anywhere but if it does, my forte would be psychological (of the violent type) character studies or descent into madness films. I'd imagine a sobriquet of "the master of the violent mind" or something like that would be added to my name, or one can dream of it.

It's a broad question and really depends on the genre, but one of the biggest things that I try to do with my films is to have intelligent characters. It's annoying when stupidity drives a plot. I also aim for realism (although not everyone understands 'fantasy realism' - for example i could aim for realism and still have a dragon if I wanted) and when I say I aim for realism I mean things like - silencers on guns are still loud.

Yes it's very convenient in a film to have characters to be able to silently shoot and dispose of bodies, but that's not how the real world works. And tasers don't knock people unconscious. All the things like that. I would be deeply embarrassed to have something false show up in my film. I understand mistakes happen, and that's one of the reasons I love having really smart people on set that can help me to catch those mistakes.

I'm working on a web series right now. Filming episode 2 and writing episode 3, if anyone interested in writing wants to give it a look over.

Episode 1 is online here.

Sometimes things in film are really subtle, you think it's amazing and then no one notices.

WARNING: "In episode 1 at the very end " spoilers below
I have the cleanest and most effective kill room possible. Yes there is tarp on the ground, but if you roll that up blood can spill out later as you move it around! The body is rolled into the tarp, and underneath is a water-tight body bag that can zip closed for immaculate transportation. This goes beyond anything I've seen in Dexter or any other show or movie.

I'm really excited about episode 3. Going to show anyone how to steal virtually any car.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I could go two ways:
-arthouse way - it would have long takes, visual glory and residual plot with a lot of undertones,
-badassassity way - I would mix spaghetti westerns, John Woo flicks, Japanese jidaigeki films and more, but make it very original, because it would take place in... well, I'm not gonna reveal it.

But most probably I will just fetch some sexy actresses and stop the shooting immediately after they arrive at my house. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've published a few plays, I'd love to collaborate, but even trying to find people to do small projects is impossible, and it doesn't help that the roads are horrible to drive on.

I've made a few music videos, I did an exercise going Downtown and put it to some of my music... I don't know if any favorites of mine would have their influence on me. I didn't know what I was going to see, so it's how I react, and it's how I select things. For example, I see a car drive, and think "This is a possible scene" - I'm just the observer, the watcher.

Some of my favorite directors don't use any fancy shots, it's the story. Kubrick started out as a photographer, so a lot of his pictures have a nice look. Red and white bathrooms, etc... I have a photography book, and I would say I would be more influenced by my own work. For example, I had thousands of pictures from many countries over a ten year period, and I think it's kinda like the movie editing process. You have so much, and have to cut it down.. The talent is knowing what to choose, what to leave out, what to change.

I think by watching film, there might be some subconscious things in our computer brains. When I see a great film, I like to see all I can by a certain director, and at this moment, it's Cassavetes, but I think it's just admiration. I couldn't describe his style if I made a movie. I wouldn't know how to necessarily film a Cassavetes-esque scene. I don't think just using a handheld instead of a dolly would be sufficient, or Orson Welles (Altman too) with overlapping dialogue. I guess it depends on the writing and what you're trying to show. If I had actors, I would want them to go with their intuition, and when I know it's right, I would use that.

I love Capra, but I only think of his films, content matter, usually empathy for the working-class. Wilder with his cynicism, Kazan who is a little like Capra. John Huston is another director who just made some great films, but I don't know his style, I think he was very interested in the writing. Kurosawa and Bergman, also wrote a lot of their stuff.

I'd love to talk more about this, with someone who has created something, or wants to. I would say after reading "Cassavetes by Cassavetes" might give ordinary people the courage to just make something. Or as Woody Allen said, "90% of life is just showing up" -- the key is to do something and go from there.

I'd also be interested in seeing anything anyone has done.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
I honestly want to do a little bit of every genre (except anything rated NC-17), so I'd probably have a lot of influences, based on the genre.

For example, I know that if I want to do an action/sci-fi/adventure film, I'd probably be influenced by Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and to an extent George Lucas.

Comedy? Edgar Wright and Wes Anderson.

Drama? Pretty much any good director out there!

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I just noticed I didn't have Windows Movie Maker, so I downloaded it, and tons of spyware came along with it, so be careful! I had a 10 minute short movie done, just didn't publish it... Had to do a System Restore, that was heck!

I just noticed I didn't have Windows Movie Maker, so I downloaded it, and tons of spyware came along with it, so be careful! I had a 10 minute short movie done, just didn't publish it... Had to do a System Restore, that was heck!
If you download it from Microsoft, you shouldn't have any problems. I upgraded my version, and I've had no problem.

And I'd be curious to know more about these plays you published.

If I was a director of a TV series (versus a movie) - an idea I had is to have the show have multiple continuities running together - that would be something truly original - it'd be tricky to work this without being confusing.

Just as an example of what I mean - if I was directing the Sopranos then I might include episodes with an alternate continuity (such as what if "the Russian" in the Pine Barrens episode had killed Paulie and Christopher? How would the show have continued to play out), but at the same time the "original continuity" would play interchangeably - and it would leave viewers wondering which one "really happened", or guessing which alternate continuity the new episodes were a part of (the episodes would also leave clues as to which plot they were following).

This might not be a hit for the average TV-goer but it would be the first of its kind.
So sort of like Run Lola Run or Sliding Doors?

I've published a few plays, I'd love to collaborate, but even trying to find people to do small projects is impossible, and it doesn't help that the roads are horrible to drive on.
There is screen writing software that lets people collaborate online together in real time. Couple that with a voice chat via something like Skype and you can collaborate with other people without any roads at all.

Taste in material so weird, two people never seem to agree on what movies are good or bad. But I'm still optimistic that one day I might find a compatible collaborator.

We could give it a shot if you want. On something of yours, or with this web series that I'm making. I posted episode 1 above.

I made a film when I was 17. Actually, I made many. This is the only one that survived. It's a sequel to one that's gone now. In the original the little hooded boy (my brother), stole the power of the blond girl and sent the dark haired girl (my sisters) into exile.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...23797588073593

Here's some cheesy commercials I made in the Air Force.

?list=UUGlDM1U9gHASlHI72-gcMTg

?list=UUGlDM1U9gHASlHI72-gcMTg

I hope my influences are obvious.

It's fun to see the shorts that certain MoFos created in the past. I'm thinking of filming a few short clips myself in the near future, just to test a few techniques (I probably need a better camera first, though).

It's good to see that there are other MoFos who are being creative with film, even if it's in very limited form.

It's fun to see the shorts that certain MoFos created. I'm thinking of filming a few short clips myself in the near future, just to test a few techniques (I probably need a better camera first, though).

It's good to see that there are other MoFos who are being creative with film, even if it's in very limited form.
I'm not sure how to respond to post comments. When I clicked it, it takes me to this thread.

But I got that shot at 1:!6 by using a pickup truck with the camera guy in the back. We moved at 20mph with a long lens and had to use autofocus to get it correctly. Manual just wasn't working out that time.

I'm not sure how to respond to post comments. When I clicked it, it takes me to this thread.

But I got that shot at 1:!6 by using a pickup truck with the camera guy in the back. We moved at 20mph with a long lens and had to use autofocus to get it correctly. Manual just wasn't working out that time.
Usually people respond to post comments with a profile comment or a private message, but I have my answer now, so thanks.

It seemed like you were making the camera turn into the woods (because of the branches suddenly appearing), so I wasn't sure if it was possible with a truck, but there must've been a road there then. I like the shot, good job!

Usually people respond to post comments with a profile comment or a private message, but I have my answer now, so thanks.

It seemed like you were making the camera turn into the woods (because of the branches suddenly appearing), so I wasn't sure if it was possible with a truck, but there must've been a road there then. I like the shot, good job!
Ah i gotcha, i go to your page and leave a post comment there.
All this time on here I never got one before

Thanks!