CRASH (Paul Haggis, 2005)

→ in
Tools    

It's only recently been released here in the UK, so I've only just seen it. I loved it, a very powerful debut for first-time director Paul Haggis. The script was excellent and the cast was superb. And the direction was interesting and stylish enough for me to comfortably give this film a solid A grade.

So what did you think of the movie? What did you like about it, what didn't you like about it? And how would you grade it?

WARNING: There could be SPOILERS ahead.

I thought the film was shot well, looked great, superb performances and that scene with the impenetrable cloak was genuinely touching. I like Matt Dillon a lot and it was nice to see him give a decent performance opposed to playing a screwball character in a low brow B-movie.

On the downside, i felt the characters were a little too obvious and hard to believe in, plus the whole racist issue seemed a little heavy handed. IMO i thought instead of creating a film which involved the issues, it was an issue creating the film. It wasn't the interwoven and intricate story i was expecting, more disjointed and un-engaging.

I can appreciate the messages that were being put across, and the way the film is directed to give these messages. But cinematically, as film i went to see in the cinema i was disappointed, not because there were no aliens or big explosions, but because i was un-able to relate to any of the characters.

However, for the aspects i didn't think worked, the rest weighed it out, so around C

Edit: I know several of you like this film (Holden), so don't shoot me down for having a different reaction to it than you.

this was the best movie of the summer for me...what a thought provoking experience...good acting, great stories and good music all rolled into one....finally an original film about real life...

i can't wait to get this on dvd..

and yes i would grade this an a+

Originally Posted by susan
i can't wait to get this on dvd.

Which here in R1 is in just a couple weeks, September 6th. The features include an audio commentary track, deleted scenes and a making-of featurette.

*and BUYER BEWARE: they're doing a stupid pan&scan release along with the proper widescreen one.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

haven't seen this yet. but it made me interested. maybe i'll watch it.

I enjoyed the movie and thought that the direction was good, but as the movie continued and the plot started to twist with every scene, it became a bit pradictable. that was my only beef with it. A good movie however, not an A but definetly a B-.

It hasn't started here, I am going to see it when it does.

Originally Posted by biko523
I enjoyed the movie and thought that the direction was good, but as the movie continued and the plot started to twist with every scene, it became a bit pradictable. that was my only beef with it. A good movie however, not an A but definetly a B-.
Predictable? What did you find predictable? I didn't think it was predictable at all. Care to elaborate?

I think that if it was predicatble, it was meant to be, to get the message across. If we're all racist, the fact that we can percieve the characters intended actions of racism towards other characters, it just shows how stereotypes effect our perceptions.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Which here in R1 is in just a couple weeks, September 6th. The features include an audio commentary track, deleted scenes and a making-of featurette.

*and BUYER BEWARE: they're doing a stupid pan&scan release along with the proper widescreen one.

I'm definitely buying this Tuesday, but I have one question.....What are the these deleted scenes? Every advertisement for the 'Crash' DVD and its extras do not mention any.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I give it an A-.

I would have graded it higher but it had too many similarities to Magnolia .

Funny thing is, I hated Magnolia.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I said explosions. So there.
You did at that, I retract my statement.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Just got back from seeing it, really enjoyed it, thought it was intresting and thought provoking, some of the characters and dialogue were a little clumsy, but overall I enjoyed the movie.
The film raises some intresting questions, and racism is universal, everybody has issues of some sort, race, religion or sexual preference.
Have to admit that I found LA particularly inhospitable, not even the Scottish charm seemed to work, and so far it is my least favourite place in the US, mind you I haven't been to Texas yet!!!
A good effort for a first time director.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Good Flick.

I hadn't even heard of this movie until it came out on video, which shows that it was very much underrated. This movie was sooo real, and it didnt hold back.
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case ofbeer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Looved this film soo much, really opens your eyes that in this modern world everybody is racist or prejudice...we are raised in a world where it is expected and i feel accepted to have preconcived views about people....

I had an argument with a teacher of mine the day after viewin this...she sed she has never been prejudice atall....i said well if i walked up to you in a dark alley with my hood up would you think oh a nice young lad...or would u think better look away or i might get stabbed....

The media makes us this way...along with out uprbringing and to say you are not prejudice atall is naive and you really lack the courage to explore who you really are...

Great film with great cast and good acting defo one to see and buy!!!