Movies you PRAY they never remake

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The one with Kenneth Branagh & Robert DeNiro (1994) was one of the most faithful adaptations to the book.
Only one problem... the book isn't very good (at least, not by today's standards).

Is it the mother of science fiction? Yeah, it has that honor, but as a read it's pretty dull despite the cool topic of reanimating dead tissue and creating a patchwork man out of corpses.

It's "science fiction" yet there's very little science in it. Before reading the book I anticipated in-depth chapters about Victor's experiments, his assembling the creature and bringing it to life - but all that interesting stuff is mostly glossed over.

Another drawback is there is no real protaganist in the story - no one to root for. Unlike the movies, the creature is not a tragic yet sympathetic figure - rather, he's a wanton killer of innocents. And his creator is no prize either (no wonder they hate each other).

The only part of the book that really grabbed me was the part where the creature learns language from a family he's spying on while hiding out in their shed.
That's true, the book is not perfect either, but perhaps they could still make a better movie, than what they have though? The one with Kenneth Branagh and Robert De Niro is kind of good, but it feels rushed, and I found the climax to be disappointing.

There are also scenes in it, which are go to over the top to the point of camp, such as the Bride running out of the house on fire, and this causes fire to blaze out of every wall as she runs past it. It jumps the shark too much, or so I thought?

I suppose it is technically the best one, but it feels like they could do another adapation that doesn't jump the shark maybe?

That's true, the book is not perfect either, but perhaps they could still make a better movie, than what they have though? The one with Kenneth Branagh and Robert De Niro is kind of good, but it feels rushed, and I found the climax to be disappointing.

There are also scenes in it, which are go to over the top to the point of camp, such as the Bride running out of the house on fire, and this causes fire to blaze out of every wall as she runs past it. It jumps the shark too much, or so I thought?

I suppose it is technically the best one, but it feels like they could do another adapation that doesn't jump the shark maybe?
Well then try Frankenstein: The True Story (1973) It isn't true to the novel, but so what, it has a unique take on the tale that hasn't been done elsewhere.

Oh okay, thanks I will check it out. Thanks.

The one that Captain Steel mentioned is my favorite: The one with Kenneth Branagh & Robert DeNiro (1994).
Overall, I didn't like the movie although the performances were very good.
I did like the somewhat surprising cameo by John Cleese in a semi-serious / semi-whimsical role - probably my favorite aspect of the movie.

I've seen Frankenstein (1931), Bride of Frankenstein (1935), Frankenstein (1992), and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994). I've seen Young Frakenstein as well, but I wasn't counting that one since it's a spoof, which is also good, but not a proper adaptation I feel.

Are there any better ones that I missed?
Don't know if I remember it accurately, but there was one called The Bride (1985) that was pretty interesting. More like an extrapolation on the original story...

Instead of the creature's female mate being a horror like the shrieking, electric-haired Elsa Lanchester version (or tearing her to bits before even bringing her to life as Dr. Frankestein did in the book)... she's played by the gorgeous Jennifer Beals!

As the Dr. tries to acclimate the Bride (who he names "Eva") to life, the movie almost adopts elements of My Fair Lady!

The cast is interesting as well:
Dr. Frankenstein is played by Sting!
The creature (named "Vicktor") is played by Clancy Brown!

Anything by Pixar probably ought to be left alone; they more or less invented a genre.

The Great Escape (1963)

Dr. Strangelove

6th Sense
Lol wait until Disney gets done with their run of classic live remakes of their own movies. Can't wait to see Woody and Buzz in real life!

Never and I mean never even think about touching Shawshank. That would be ridiculous. Who would want to anyways .

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Do you think that a remake of Attack of the 50 Foot Woman would be good?

⬆️ These days it would be the Attack of the 100 Foot Woman.

As for The Exorcist, it still seems presumptuous to think that this 47-year-old movie is somehow too edgy for any modern studio to even remotely replicate and release into the mainstream, especially when nowadays it's been reduced to punchlines about pea soup and spinning heads. The most popular television show of the last decade was Game of Thrones, after all.
The exorcist actually grossed over 1 billion in today's dollars at the time it was released in the US. It was already very mainstream back then, it sold more tickets in proportion to the population than the Force Awakens and Avengers 4!

None, they can remake whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want - that's totally up to those within the industry. Whether people watch them or not though - that choice is totally up to each individual.

Some Like It Hot. Just perfect.
Roxanne with Steve Martin. No one could play that role better.
Dangerous Liaisons. Malkovich was on fire
The Grifters

Some Like It Hot. Just perfect.
Roxanne with Steve Martin. No one could play that role better.
Dangerous Liaisons. Malkovich was on fire
The Grifters
Looking at your top 10 profile, I do think a more serious remake of Sophie's Choice could work. I like Kevin Kline but the comic elements he brought to Sophie's Choice takes away from the serious nature of it.

I do think a more serious remake of Sophie's Choice could work.
Cannot possibly see how it could be “more serious”.

By removing the zany comedy of Kevin Kline. Or am I remembering this wrong?
You’re not misremembering because that’s how his performance struck you. I personally found the movie to be just about perfect.

You’re not misremembering because that’s how his performance struck you. I personally found the movie to be just about perfect.
I just read my old review of Sophie's Choice. I gave it a

In brief here's what I said:

My Thoughts: A very young Meryl Streep won both an Oscar and a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Leading Role. She deserved it! Her performance in this movie is nothing short of miraculous. She transforms herself through vocal accent, facial and body language into Sophie, a Polish concentration camp survivor with a dark secret. This is one of the great acting performances and Meryl Streep is the reason to watch this movie. The only reason actually.

Kevin Kline
...this was his first theatrical release movie. He's good and engaging, too much so! Every single time he's off on one of his angry rants, he bulldozes the other quieter performers which doesn't work for the flow of the film. This is about Sophie, much more than Kline's character. Kline needed to be instructed by the director not to steal the scenes, but he does over and over again, overshadowing the other two characters.

Peter MacNicol...character, 'Stingo', is the focal point of the story, he does the voice over narration too, which reminded me of John-Boy in The Waltons. He's the weak part of the movie and has got to be the worst casting mistake I've ever seen. He has zero screen presences and is not even worthy of being a bit character in the movie. Had the casting director choose a more suitable actor, Sophie's Choice might have been a better film.

However, nothing can save the story which takes two and half hours to unfold...with little happening on the screen. The film drags and that's too bad because the story concept is a powerful one...and
Meryl's performance certainly deserved a top notch film to be showcased in.

Welcome to the human race...
I thought that was the point, that he has to be such a forceful presence to not only counter the timidity of both Stingo and Sophie but also make his mood-swings more pronounced and emphasis his absence from later parts of the film (especially when Sophie finally tells her story to Stingo). It also helps the misdirect of the title where (assuming you don't already know what the title means) you assume it's a film about a love triangle where Sophie has to choose between these two men who are polar opposites.

Any film that was perfect, or nearly so, the first time around should not be remade or reimagined or updated for modern audiences (and we all know what that means). Far better to contrive how to have audience rediscover the original than to muck it up with a rem

You ready? You look ready.
Battlefield Earth

because it might get worse
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza