Overrated Actors/ Underrated Actors

Tools    

Randomly visiting for now
A very under rated actor for me is Bill Murray, his work in 'Lost in Translation' was phenomenal, nobody could have done a better job than him. While he was quite good in Groundhog day he didn't really have much to work with, he makes movies enjoyable just by being in them.

Also an under rated actor is Adam Sandler; now don't go nuts disagreeing with me until you've seen '50 first dates' or 'Punch Drunk Love', I think he did a great job in both. Everyone just dismisses him because of movies like Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison which didn't have any decent acting at all, but the boy can act given the opportunity.

Can't think of anyone who's over rated right now sorry.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Aniko
I'm very curious why you think she's over-rated.
To me, she is a character actor in the role of a leading lady.

She plays the same woman in a different setting.

I found Sophie's Choice to be her only powerful performance.

After making films like She-Devil and Death Becomes Her, I try to avoid her.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by uconjack
Lawrence Olivier was a different kind of actor to me.

I really liked him in some hammy kind of roles like The Devil's Disciple, Boys from Brazil, A Little Romance, The Seven Percent Solution, Sleuth and Marathon Man. I liked all those movies and I really enjoyed watching him in them.

He was great in Spartacus, Rebecca and Wuthering Heights.

Even without the Shakespeare movies he had a great career and was a lot of fun to watch on the screen. To me anyways.
I'm sorry uconjack.

I was refering more to his style rather than actual Shakespearean films.

It's the style of the stage, overacting rather than acting naturally.

Christian Szell : Is it safe?... Is it safe?
Babe : You're talking to me?
Christian Szell : Is is safe?
Babe : Is what safe?
Christian Szell : Is it safe?
Babe : I don't know what you mean. I can't tell you something's safe or not, unless I know specifically what you're talking about.
Babe : Tell me what the "it" refers to.
Babe : Yes, it's safe, it's very safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe it.
Babe : No. It's not safe, it's... very dangerous, be careful.

I loved him in Marathon Man.

Everyone's worst nightmare, a sadistic dentist.

P.S. The thread was "Over-rated actors."

I don't think Meryl Streep or Laurence Olivier suck.

I believe they get a little too much praise.

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
The most Over-rated actor i can think of is Denzel Washington.
Every freakin' role he plays is all the same. His performance in Training Day might have been his "best", but it sure as he** wasn't any different from any of his other movie roles. Its just Denzel himself in every movie.

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Cameron Diaz is so damn overrated it's pathetic.
AMEN!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Cameron Diaz is so damn overrated it's pathetic.

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny420
The most Over-rated actor i can think of is Denzel Washington.
Every freakin' role he plays is all the same. His performance in Training Day might have been his "best", but it sure as he** wasn't any different from any of his other movie roles. Its just Denzel himself in every movie.
Denzel is an excellent actor, but to an extent he's overrated. His range isn't all that great, he's always recognizable. He can play different characters, but his tone and mannerisms hardly change. After he says one line, you know it's Denzel.

Training Day was not his best performance though.

Denzel's performance in Malcolm X > Denzel's performance in Training Day

And not by a little.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think Russell Crowe is incredibly overrated.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I agree Piddzilla, he got a lot of praise from Gladiator which may have been his best role although I didn't like him in that, and the same happened with A Beautiful Mind although I haven't had the pleaseure of seeing that yet.

Maybe that's because in a sensitive role, everyone has to focus on him.

I'll probably catch it for this one...

Most Overrated: John Wayne

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Bad Morther****er
Overrated: Ben Affleck - This guy can't act. The only reason he gets to make movies is because girls like to look at him.

Underratedon Cheadle - He is a powerful character actor. The sad thing is that most of the movie going public will only see him in Ocean's Eleven and Twelve.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Originally Posted by Urban Cowboy
Overrated: Ben Affleck - This guy can't act. The only reason he gets to make movies is because girls like to look at him.
Not all girls like looking at him...

Mr Cheadle was in After the Sunset as well

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Not all girls like looking at him...
yeah. I don't either.

...piggy little eyes.

Ben is basically in every Kevin Smith movie. What does that tell you about his acting?

A system of cells interlinked
Julia Roberts

Or maybe I just don't like her big mouth.

I am still pissed that she stole the oscar from Ellen Burstyn in 2000.

Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
Ben is basically in every Kevin Smith movie. What does that tell you about his acting?
Kevin Smith movies are the only time I've seen Ben Affleck and thought he acted well.