Suggestion about Rep and New Members

Tools    

I think Sexy means that you would still receive it. You just wouldn't see it. Like the blocking members option. They can still send you post comments. You just don't know they're there, unless you go looking for them. You know they still made a post, it just has the post closed. Things like that.

I think Caity is referring to having the entire rep system gone, but I may be wrong. I wouldn't mind that either, to be honest. It's more of a contest anymore, to see who gets more. Like a race.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
OK. First of all, even though I'm sticking my nose in it here, I don't want to have to win the race, but I don't have to want to feel like I'm looking at alternate ways for things to get more realistic. By that, I mean that the people who improve people's lives and share of their hearts and souls are the ones I want to give + rep. If I do the same, I appreciate it when I get + rep, but the problem is that there's just something weird about it, unless everyone just wants to get together and call me "Rep Whore mark" (RWm). I'm not really sure how much people would want to do that because it would just make me an even bigger rep whore. Damn, I knew I should have just stayed shut up, but I still think it makes sense.

What I'm going to do, unless somebody tells me that we're going to start rep all over from scratch, is to go back to the oldest posts I missed for all those [seven?] years you guys all had fun without me(!!) and start giving appropriate rep. I hope I can find a way to do this which isn't so difficult, but if one of you Cool MoFos or MoFettes know how to do things chronologically which I can also participate in, then thank you.

I can understand if you think this post is drama, and I want to know that, but unless it's beyond the pale, contact me in PM, and I'll get back to you unless I need to address MY BS in here... Hell NO!

It would be too much work for you, Yoda . . . or at least it seems that it would be . . . or I'd suggest an actual option for literally turning it off if we please. I think Holden mentioned an idea like this a long time ago. The problem then was that it wouldn't be fair to neg rep people, yet not get any of our own. This way, we either receive and send out rep, or we do neither.

I hope it doesn't get shut off. I really don't get how this is such a huge deal to you folks. Its a fun little addition to the site is all. I am going to struggle to understand how something that is a positive is bad for MoFo.

I also disagree with the idea that rep has somehow become a popularity contest. I rep whoever and when ever I want. The vast majority of the posts I rep already have rep, so, does that make me a lemming? Maybe. So what?

Too much is being made of this.

A switch which turns off both giving and receiving rep for any member that chooses it isn't a huge job, I'm just torn on whether or not it's a good idea. I'm not sure if the system is worth doing if people can just flip it off and on. Actually, it might be a bit of work because there'd have to be some way to stop people from turning it on, giving a bunch of rep, and then turning it off again.

I'm going to take a closer look at some of these ideas, but right now I'm pretty certain that I'm just going to implement a post minimum for giving rep. 25 sounds about right. I'll let you guys know what ends up happening, of course.

Still like the idea of reforming the system somewhere down the line, but we've been over a lot of ideas and it's hard to find something that works. Whatever it's flaws, the up/down system we're using now is definitely the most elegant way to do it that we've yet found.

Didn't see PW's post until after mine went up. Just a quick reply: I pretty much entirely agree. I can't entirely relate to anyone who feels strongly (in any direction) about it, and I actually don't think there's a lot wrong with it. We still give out a bit of goofy rep for birthdays and pictures, but other than that most of it's pretty sensible; for funny posts, clever posts, or insightful ones, or for anyone who takes the time to sit down and review something, or chronicle all they've seen.

I used to be of the mind that most of it was frivelous, but I think that's been toned down. I really think the vast majority of rep is handed out pretty sensibly.

Happy New Year from Philly!
I think rep is one of the things that makes this a stronger community than other forums. Neg rep is irksome but positive rep is always a nice stroke whatever you get it for. It's an easy way to indicate agreement, or appreciation. You know who shares your sense of humor or taste in movies by the rep they give you. You can call me Rep whore beelzebubbles. Maybe we can start a support group, Rep Whores Anonymous.

I also disagree with the idea that rep has somehow become a popularity contest.
If you mean me, then you read me wrong. I never called it that.

I don't see anything wrong with the few of us that don't care for it, not caring for it. It's opinion. We have them there things all the time.

Instead of "posts" I think a time frame would be better, say a month? I mean if one cannot hang around for at least 30 days (with some kinda of minimum activity of course), then why allow them to make a quick stop in drop?

Actually, it might be a bit of work because there'd have to be some way to stop people from turning it on, giving a bunch of rep, and then turning it off again.
Good point. I guess I was picturing it being a permanent decision.

If you mean me, then you read me wrong. I never called it that.

I don't see anything wrong with the few of us that don't care for it, not caring for it. It's opinion. We have them there things all the time.
Well, indirectly I was responding to you. I was basically just stating my opinion on the matter. I've seen a few members refer to the rep system as a popularity contest. So, I wasn't trying to single you out or anything.

Almost all of us responding in this thread have plenty of rep, is that a quirk?
When I receive loads more rep for changing my avatar, instead of spending an insane amount of time counting down a movie list, then yes, I think it's a quirk. In the end, I would have less, but I'd have them for what I truly believe I deserve them for.

Happy New Year from Philly!
When I receive loads more rep for changing my avatar, instead of spending an insane amount of time counting down a movie list, then yes, I think it's a quirk. In the end, I would have less, but I'd have them for what I truly believe I deserve them for.
Yeah, but that is part of a game that has more participants than the horror film 100 had. Of course you will get more rep for changing your avatar than for doing the list. It's just a matter of the number of people involved. But you've also gotten rep for creating games, maintaining them and proposing things like the Horror 100.

Don't you feel a bit closer to those that give you rep than those that don't?

Personally I'd like to see the back of the rep system. In my opinion there's a lot of people only repping those who rep them back, and visa versa. Plus I much prefer a message of acknowledgment/appreciation from someone as opposed to a '+1' which seems so anonymous and impersonal by comparison. I agree with others who've said rep points turn things into a race; politics can come into who reps who, and the neg rep system is redundant because it creates ill feeling resulting in people too afraid to use it. I'm not saying rep should be anonymous either because then you have a system open to abuse. I just think MoFo would be a happier place without it all together.

PW's probably right about us making too much of all this though. I mean it's not unbearable or anything. If it was I wouldn't be here practically every day like an addict.

Yeah, but that is part of a game that has more participants than the horror film 100 had. Of course you will get more rep for changing your avatar than for doing the list. It's just a matter of the number of people involved.
There are 14 doing the horror list, not counting me, and the rep for the main list was 5. I've received as many as 9 rep points for my avatar change. I did the math, before my post, just in case someone said that.

Don't you feel a bit closer to those that give you rep than those that don't?
Not really. Nebs is a sweetie, and I've shared a lot with her. She never reps me.

Not sure what button I pushed, but was not trying too. All I was getting at is that it seems those that have more rep seem to be concerned about it more than those that do not, myself included. It was nothing more than an observation, sorry if I did something to anger you.

Not sure what button I pushed, but was not trying too. All I was getting at is that it seems those that have more rep seem to be concerned about it more than those that do not, myself included. It was nothing more than an observation, sorry if I did something to anger you.
What on earth are you talking about, sweetie? I'm not mad at you. Are you talking to me?

I'm kind of lost!

Jump right in there Slug.