The Karate Kid

Tools    

This remake is going to be horrible.

It is a big mistake.

I'm starting to question Will Smith as one of the most likable figures in Hollywood today. I literally hate his guts for messing around with The Karate Kid. His son was adorable in The Pursuit of Happyness, but that doesn't mean he can use a classic title from our childhood as a vehicle for his son to rise to superstardom with. Come up with something original or f*** off!

Then let's stop re making any movies period...and I hope your disdain for the remake of this movie reflects equally in the remakes of other movies....

I hope your consistant with your disdain for the remake of all and every movie that comes out....

I love ya, Will Smith...continue to prosper and make wonderful movies...you and your son, just like everyone else does....

I've had plenty of my childhood memories changed by re-makes, but never to the point where I would 'Hate' the actor doing it...and or use foul language to express myself...

There's something deeper going on here....
To get that upset over a fictional movie....yes, there's something deeper going on here....
I just don't like seeing the wonderful John Lennon, a man of peace and open mindness, used for such a platform...

Yeah, I'll bet it is reflected in that; most of us around here have a strong distaste of most remakes, because they rarely bring enough new things to the table to be necessary.

And why would someone have to be consistent in their disdain of every other remake? Last I checked, movies can either look (and be) good or bad. Some of us think this one looks bad.

The not-actually-subtle accusations of racism are beyond the pale. The simpler (and therefore, more likely) explanation is that people don't like the look of this movie a whole lot. Taking a shot at a lighthearted children's film would be a really, really weird way for some latest prejudice to reveal itself.

In short: take two Chill Pills and call me in the morning.

Then let's stop re making any movies period...and I hope your disdain for the remake of this movie reflects equally in the remakes of other movies....

I hope your consistant with your disdain for the remake of all and every movie that comes out....

I love ya, Will Smith...continue to prosper and make wonderful movies...you and your son, just like everyone else does....

I've had plenty of my childhood memories changed by re-makes, but never to the point where I would 'Hate' the actor doing it...and or use foul language to express myself...

There's something deeper going on here....
To get that upset over a fictional movie....yes, there's something deeper going on here....
I just don't like seeing the wonderful John Lennon, a man of peace and open mindness, used for such a platform...
Will Smith is one of the best actors we have today. I love Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and a big number of his movies. However, I do not worship the grounds he walks on. He is producing this awful remake. That's why I'm hating on him now. My point is why don't producers come up with original scripts to make into movies. I'm getting sick and tired of all these remakes. They ruin the legacy of what the movie really stands for, and to add insult to injury, most remakes are corny, with horrible dialogue, and overacting. The new generation will now associate The Karate Kid with Jaden Smith, and I don't think Hollywood is doing a service to a national treasure and a pop culture icon Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, and the original film as a whole is.

As for your John Lennon remark, John was mostly known for being blunt, more so than for being a peacenik, and even he used foul language to get his ideas across.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
This could have probably worked if it weren't a remake of an obviously fondly remembered movie. I mean Jackie Chan teaching a kid Kung Fu? They could have said he's a relative of the original Mr. Miyagi and that would have been okay, but a full blown remake? A thousand times no.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

It's all in the reflexes.
The new generation will now associate The Karate Kid with Jaden Smith
Yeah, or it could go the other way too, a couple kids could walk out of the cinemas and be like "Yo Derek, dat mouvie right der waz da s*#! lets mosey on down to da movie rental joint and pick us up tha originaaaaaaal"

Or their parents could show them and they might like it better, who knows?

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
There was a real innocence and sweetness to the original--mostly because of the characters--I don't mind an updated version if it goes the same routes emotionally. Nods to the original are optional, as long as they're done well...Hopefully Daniel doesn't pull out a Glock....

You people are being foolish. When Will Smith retires, who will we look to when robots, vampires, aliens, robot spiders, or regular bad guys try to take over the world ?

This movie produced by Will Smith.This 2010 remake once again brings Jackie Chan into the movie along with Jaden Smith.

Welcome to the human race...
You people are being foolish. When Will Smith retires, who will we look to when robots, vampires, aliens, robot spiders, or regular bad guys try to take over the world ?

Employee of the Month

The real question is: Who Will looks good, when robots, vampires, aliens, robots...

I not sure about him: He`s a great entertainer, no doubt. Independence Day is the best popcorn movie ever made, and he`s perfect in this flick. He`s full of energy. Bad Boys I+II - just extreme! Extreme good! (If you like action-packed no-brainers.) Men in Black! Haven`t seen Ali yet, but I´m sure it`s great.

On the other hand: Pursuit of Happiness? I, Robot? Scientology? Some of his movies are so sterile, slick, calculated and superficial, they make me wanna vomit.

A system of cells interlinked
A
I do apologize to you...I just got caught up in the moment...
(I just went back and read your post, and saw where you refered to his kid as a (spawn)....
I don't find that objective crotiquing at all...) So maybe my intial reaction was correct...I don't know...
This message is clearly directed at me, but it's directly out to lunch. At no point did I comment on Will Smith's son, ever. That post is clearly marked with another user's name. Do you understand how the threads on this site work? See that name on the post that isn't mine?

My name is Sedai, as you can clearly see on the posts I write, right there in the upper left. The post with the spawn comment has a different user's name in the upper left corner. See how it says Count DeMoney?

I would appreciate it if you would not attempt to attribute stances or ideas to me that I have not personally articulated. Thanks.

The only thing I have said, which is absolutely objective, is that this film is a bad idea and I shall never see it.

I find it odd that you made an effort specifically to go back and read my post, yet you missed my post entirely.

This message is clearly directed at me, but it's directly out to lunch. At no point did I comment on Will Smith's son, ever. That post is clearly marked with another user's name. Do you understand how the threads on this site work? See that name on the post that isn't mine?

My name is Sedai, as you can clearly see on the posts I write, right there in the upper left. The post with the spawn comment has a different user's name in the upper left corner. See how it says Count DeMoney?

I would appreciate it if you would not attempt to attribute stances or ideas to me that I have not personally articulated. Thanks.

The only thing I have said, which is absolutely objective, is that this film is a bad idea and I shall never see it.

I find it odd that you made an effort specifically to go back and read my post, yet you missed my post entirely.
I didn't even know Smith had a son, much leas was doing a remake of what I always thought was a sappy film myself (but then I was grown when this "classic" hit the screens). Still, I'm flabbergasted that this has been such a bone of centention in two threads!!!

I see this started back in 2009. Has the movie already come out? I never heard a thing about it. As far as I'm concerned, one Karate Kid was more than enough. They could have Will Smith play the part himself, and I still wouldn't go see it.

This could have probably worked if it weren't a remake of an obviously fondly remembered movie. I mean Jackie Chan teaching a kid Kung Fu? They could have said he's a relative of the original Mr. Miyagi and that would have been okay, but a full blown remake? A thousand times no.
I completely disagree with this statement. The movie looks like an utter piece of trash (not that the original was some kind of masterpiece), but this would've made it even worse, considering that Mr. Miyagi (and Pat Morita, who played him) was Japanese and Jackie Chan is Chinese.

Hey, I`m a new fella on here, so dont be mean, i`m not a huge movie connoisseur by any means, so please nice. Anyway this new remake looks wicked and it is very rare that i make sure i see something at the cinema, but this is one that i will be weeing at the big screen. I found the original, in hindsight, to be a bit campy and the sequels tended to try and undo that, but only succeeded in dulling the spirit of the first. This new movie look raw and rough in comparison. The trailer makes it look great, but time will tell.

If you say so. I found the trailer rather dull and ordinary. Our mileage may vary.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Forgive my ignorance but why is it called The Karate Kid when it's about Kung Fu?