Favorite "B" Horror Movie

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The original Evil Dead was the first thing to come to mind. Not entirely sure how a B-grade horror movie differentiates from one that's not, though. Obviously they're not supposed to be high-quality main attractions, so I figured Evil Dead would work - so in that case, what's not B-grade?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I may not understand your "question". Obviously, flicks with a bigger budget and bigger-name cast aren't B-movies So films which shouldn't qualify would include The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Poltergeist, The Innocents, etc. On the other hand, Roger Corman and William Castle films (except for Rosemary's Baby) would qualify.

I thought horror B-Movies were generally studio produced but aren't made in mind with a theatrical release (aka Straight To DVDs these days). Wrong Turn 2 is a good un. I wouldn't say the first was a B-Movie and the third was awful.

Evil Dead is more a C-Movie with independent backing

Psycho, of course. The original Friday The 13th, as well.

I would not call The Descent a b-movie... The Descent was shown in cinemas and is very good. Had a budget of about Ł4 million I believe.
Oh news to me, ill edit my post.

I would not call The Descent a b-movie... The Descent was shown in cinemas and is very good. Had a budget of about Ł4 million I believe.
Agree, if anything, a "foreign" horror film is more apt (especially for non-UK viewers)

I spit on your grave.

I only have the original.

You know, I've always kind of liked those Ghoulies movies. They're a bit tongue-in-cheek with decent effects.

But one of the best I've seen was the original Night of the Demons.

#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

The original Evil Dead was the first thing to come to mind. Not entirely sure how a B-grade horror movie differentiates from one that's not, though. Obviously they're not supposed to be high-quality main attractions, so I figured Evil Dead would work - so in that case, what's not B-grade?
I always thought the same. Are B films straight to DVD or are they just low budget genre films regardless of the release they get (The Birds, Predator and Robocop are frequently labelled 'B')?
Like a CULT film. What is a cult film? A film that was discovered later by its audience after flopping at the box office on its original release?

A horror movie a quite enjoy that may be a 'B' flick is...

...the original and the best PH film. A great horror/monster flick.

B movies are so called because they were the "B" movie at the cinema. You had an "A" film, which was the film you'd usually gone to see and had the big stars in them (hence the A-List), essentially, the one you paid for but before that there'd be a "B" picture. You'd usually get newsreels too and, if it was a childrens film, a cartoon or serial. So the "B" movie was a cheaper, 'lesser' film (but not arthouse or documentary.) Horror, Sci-Fi and Westerns were the staple of these. In the 50's, as a way of trying to get the tv audience and offer something a little more salacious than they could get away with elsewhere (which you could in the "B" films, as they were usually ignored by critics or the cinema papers.) These also appealled to the new teenage market, who were starting to have their own money and wanting their own things, hence the Double Feature. This was/is more of an American thing, at least, it was from a UK perspective.

This really blossomed in the 60's, where the social changes and ever reducing ticket sales meant that this growing market was played to more and more. I suppose the 60's was the breakout decade for these films, starting with Psycho and ending with Easy Rider, a new Hollywood was born and, in turn, a new independent cinema. However, it was still "B" movie fodder and, while there are early examples of things changing it's not until Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and, finally, E.T. that "B" movies were looked upon as "A" movies.

So horror, Sci-Fi and Childrens films (including Superhero/Fantasy) were/are all "B" movies, as with few rare exceptions, that's where you'd have found them. In the "B" movies.

B movies are so called because they were the "B" movie at the cinema. You had an "A" film, which was the film you'd usually gone to see and had the big stars in them (hence the A-List), essentially, the one you paid for but before that there'd be a "B" picture. You'd usually get newsreels too and, if it was a childrens film, a cartoon or serial. So the "B" movie was a cheaper, 'lesser' film (but not arthouse or documentary.) Horror, Sci-Fi and Westerns were the staple of these. In the 50's, as a way of trying to get the tv audience and offer something a little more salacious than they could get away with elsewhere (which you could in the "B" films, as they were usually ignored by critics or the cinema papers.) These also appealled to the new teenage market, who were starting to have their own money and wanting their own things, hence the Double Feature. This was/is more of an American thing, at least, it was from a UK perspective.

This really blossomed in the 60's, where the social changes and ever reducing ticket sales meant that this growing market was played to more and more. I suppose the 60's was the breakout decade for these films, starting with Psycho and ending with Easy Rider, a new Hollywood was born and, in turn, a new independent cinema. However, it was still "B" movie fodder and, while there are early examples of things changing it's not until Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and, finally, E.T. that "B" movies were looked upon as "A" movies.

So horror, Sci-Fi and Childrens films (including Superhero/Fantasy) were/are all "B" movies, as with few rare exceptions, that's where you'd have found them. In the "B" movies.
Honeykid, every post of yours ive read has been so helpful, this is no exclusion. +rep