28.57%
10 votes
John Carpenter( Halloween, The Thing)
25.71%
9 votes
Wes Craven( Nightmare, Scream)
20.00%
7 votes
George Romero( Night of the Living Dead)
14.29%
5 votes
Sam Raimi( Evil Dead)
2.86%
1 votes
Eli Roth( Cabin Fever, Hostle)
2.86%
1 votes
Adam Green( Hatchet, Frozen)
5.71%
2 votes
Tobe Hooper( Texas Chainsaw)
35 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Romero has his Dead franchise, even if it waned after first 3 and aside from a few other films he's not very prolific and can't seem to let early 'Dead' success ear die. Carpenter has had some fantastic films - The Thing and Halloween are without equal for my money but again, he's stagnated and not done anything of real note in the last 15ish years. Wes Craven similarly. Alexendra Aja has made an early splash but Hollywood seems to be diluting him. I've not seen enough Bava or Argento to comment but they've had some stylish entries from what I have. Takashi Miike has made some rather extreme films but not always solid as the others, Audition is stunning, though.

My money though, goes to Cronenberg who's had the most consistent oeuvre. His highs don't quite reach his contemporaries but he's had an effective, thought provoking and extensive career.

I went with John Carpenter, but not for Halloween, which I figure shall be all the other Carpenter-voters rationale. Instead, I greatly prefer They Live, In the Mouth of Madness, and Prince of Darkness.

Was this always a poll? Missed that. Some of the last choices are laughable, Green and Roth in the same poll is almost an insult to the talent and if we're including Raimi may as well include Jackson as well.

Wes Anderson similarly.

I voted Wes Craven out of that lot as Scream is my favourite out of the whole lot of films all those directors have made. John Carpenter a close second.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't know... I certainly like much of Roger Corman's Poe films, especially The Pit and the Pendulum, The Masque of the Red Death and Tomb of Ligeia. Mario Bava has too many to highlight but the ones people know the most about are Black Sunday and Black Sabbath. Dario Argento has Deep Red, Suspiria and Inferno. Polanski has Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion, The Tenant, The Ninth Gate, and I'd say that his Macbeth is certainly as horific as it gets There are many others I'll have to think about because I have guests now.

I don't think I can honestly say. Horror is such a mixed bag, and each of these directors have done some stuff I loved, some meh, and some suck.

And the poll seems very superficial. Where is Del Toro? Hitchcock? Miike? Heck, Argento? M. Night?

I don't think there's enough consistency in the genre, unfortunately, to arrive at a good answer. Semi-related, I'm also excited to see what else might be done by Chris Smith. I think his work so far has been quite promising.

If I absolutely had to pick a "king of horror" here, it would be Miike, hands down. No one else infuses their material with such an unsettlingly genuine feeling of evil and warped reality through disturbing yet imaginative imagery.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier
I would have to say Hitchcock, despite the fact he isn't on the poll. His films may be classified more as suspense, but I consider him to be the Godfather of the modern horror film. He was a master of building fear and knowing how to edit a film so that the scare comes exactly at the right moment. Psycho is a wonderful example of just how scary a film can be without showing too much.

^Agreed, though Hitchcock's involvement in a horror director poll would no doubt cause a controversy. I wouldn't be arguing with it, but I would imagine that some might.

Of those listed, i'll wait to vote until I see Nightmare On Elm Street, which should be soon. If I like it as much as Scream, then my vote will go to Wes Craven hands down.

Who is the true master of horror?
You apparently do not know much about horror for, if you did, you'd have included many more names, not the least of which is Dario Argento.

Yeah Eli Roth was an odd choice, as was Adam Green, who I've never even heard of until now Methinks that they should be replaced with Dario Argento and Takashi Miike.

Fair enough, I'm not a fan of Roth myself, I just thought I would throw him in there. Green on the other hand, recently entering the scene has showed talent in my opinion. I loved Spiral, Hatchet and Frozen and look forward to see his future releases. I agree with you on Cronenberg. He is a fantastic director, I personally would not consider him a "horror" director though. I suppose the same thing could be said about Raimi though...

Fair enough, I'm not a fan of Roth myself, I just thought I would throw him in there. Green on the other hand, recently entering the scene has showed talent in my opinion. I loved Spiral, Hatchet and Frozen and look forward to see his future releases. I agree with you on Cronenberg. He is a fantastic director, I personally would not consider him a "horror" director though. I suppose the same thing could be said about Raimi though...
Wow. How is Cronenberg NOT a horror director?

Wow... Yes he had his 70's through mid 80's entries into the genre such as Scanners and Videodrome....as you have shown me. So yes I guess he is a horror director. For the most part, people know him for his films like History of Violence and Eastern Promises..not Rage..or the Fly. That's all im saying.

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen films from just about every stage of Cronenberg's career yet for some reason I didn't immediately think of him as a "horror" director - probably because that means putting him in the same class as Eli Roth, which feels somewhat incorrect even though it's not.