Most Overrated and underrated Directors

Tools    

Bad Morther****er
Who are the most overrated and underrated directors?

For me the most overrated( and it pains me to say this) is Spike Lee. I LOVED "Do the Right Thing". "Malcom X" waas good but a bit overindulgent. The rest of his movies are average at best, and that's with the aid of Denzel.

The most underrated is Mario Van Peebles. "New Jack City" and "Posse" are fantasic films, and I love Panther. Not to Mention I recently saw Baadasssss! and it may be the best film he's ever done.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Let's see. . .this is rather hard
Overrated: Quentin Tarantino. . .KIDDING. I can't think of anybody. Maybe I shouldn't have posted.

Underrated: Kevin Smith maybe. His talent for directing needs to be more recognized by mainstream audiences. Maybe I'm a little off on this, but I don't know.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Bad Morther****er
No I can see your point with Smith. But I still think he has a little something to prove after "Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back" and "Jersey Girl".I think he's lots his way somewhat.

Really? I always considered Kevin Smith a little overrated... and Tarantino too, after Kill Bill.

Not saying I don't like them, I'm just saying they get more credit than they deserve sometimes. Especially Tarantino, as he lifts a lot of his ideas straight from other movies.

Do you know my poetry?
OVERRATED:
Tim Burton
His only true great film was Ed Wood, but other than that, most of his films just weren't that good.

UNDERRATED:
Paul Thomas Anderson
All of his films I consider masterpieces. I don't think this man gets enough credit for the wonderful films he makes.

Bad Morther****er
Originally Posted by Garrett
Really? I always considered Kevin Smith a little overrated... and Tarantino too, after Kill Bill.

Not saying I don't like them, I'm just saying they get more credit than they deserve sometimes. Especially Tarantino, as he lifts a lot of his ideas straight from other movies.
To be fair almost every major direction since Leone, including Leone lifts from other movies to some degree. Granted Tarantino is a bit egregious, but while he lifts heavily from other movies he still manages to put his own stamp on them, as do most good directors.

Originally Posted by Urban Cowboy
To be fair almost every major direction since Leone, including Leone lifts from other movies to some degree. Granted Tarantino is a bit egregious, but while he lifts heavily from other movies he still manages to put his own stamp on them, as do most good directors.
You've got a point but Leone just took other ideas and put a totally different spin on them, whereas Tarantino can be kind of bland. I thought Kill Bill was entirely overrated. It's an entertaining popcorn flick but it's nothing fresh or new.

Bad Morther****er
I see what you're saying. I don't know that I would go so far as to call Tarantino bland, but Kill Bill doesn't live upto his past work, though I think that is was a huge undertaking for any director, and probably his most technically sound work to date.

You all can go on and about Tarantino, and Tim Burton. But why cant we all just Knock John Woo for a while I mean come on all of his movies are teriblle and producers still excpect him to come out with a good movie.

Bad Morther****er
Not all of his films are bad. Just the ones he made after going hollywood. It's like the smog zapped him of the ability to make good movies. "The Killer" is great.

Underrated
Paul W.S. Anderson

overrated
M. Night Shyamalan

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
You all can go on and about Tarantino, and Tim Burton. But why cant we all just Knock John Woo for a while I mean come on all of his movies are teriblle and producers still excpect him to come out with a good movie.
Here are some John Woo movies that you've undoubtedly never seen, Mr Blue:
A Better Tomorrow (1986)
A Better Tomorrow II (1987)
The Killer (1989)
Hard Boiled (1992)

By the way, your beloved Tarantino has borrowed ideas from him several times... he's obviously one of his biggest influences.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Let's see. . .this is rather hard
Overrated: Quentin Tarantino. . .KIDDING.
As much as I love his films, he is overated. He's probably today's most famous director for the "MTV generation". A lot of people think he's a genius when it comes to filmaking, but really he's not. He's just a bit different and great at storytelling. He also has a fine taste in music.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Underrated: Kevin Smith maybe. His talent for directing needs to be more recognized by mainstream audiences. Maybe I'm a little off on this, but I don't know.
I think Kevin Smith's humour is only funny to a certain audience. I myself love all of his films (apart from Jersey Girl which I haven't seen). But as a diretor he isn't underated. He even admits in the Chasing Amy audio commentry, that he isn't very creative when it comes to directing. But his scripts are really good.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
UNDERRATED:
Paul Thomas Anderson
All of his films I consider masterpieces. I don't think this man gets enough credit for the wonderful films he makes.
One of my favorite directors and definately underated.

Originally Posted by Terminator734
overrated
M. Night Shyamalan
Overrated? He's underrated in my mind. Really good director, Sixth Sense and Signs scared the ***** out of me! Well, made me jump at least.

Overrated? He's underrated in my mind. Really good director, Sixth Sense and Signs scared the ***** out of me! Well, made me jump at least.[/quote]

thats the point for me those movies were good
but nothing that scared me
all the buzz those movies got for me they were nothing extrordinary

I think that The Sixth Sense is overrated, but not Shyamalan himself.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Here are some John Woo movies that you've undoubtedly never seen, Mr Blue:
A Better Tomorrow (1986)
A Better Tomorrow II (1987)
The Killer (1989)
Hard Boiled (1992)

By the way, your beloved Tarantino has borrowed ideas from him several times... he's obviously one of his biggest influences.

Alright well seeing as how those movies came out when i was between the ages of 1&4 i will have to go check them out this weekend and see if my opinions change, and i am really not that fond of Tarantino.

Melbrooks is deffinantly underrated. "Can I get A Hurumph"

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
As much as it pains me.. Kubrick BUT only for A Clockwork..The rest of his films especially his older stuff(The Killer)(Killers Kiss)Are all underrated or just good.

I hated Clock Work orange. I wanted to kill myself while i watched it. its the kinda of movie that you would excpect tarantino to do. wierd free love and free rape movies are to much for me

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
I hated Clock Work orange. I wanted to kill myself while i watched it. its the kinda of movie that you would excpect tarantino to do.
Or the type of film you'd expect Stanley Kubrick to do. It was nothing like a Tarantino film.