Pre2000 Movie Scifi with solid hologram handheld game?

Tools    

Hi, I am trying to recall the name of a movie I partially saw when I was younger. I know I watched it pre 2002 and I am pretty sure it had been out a while because I saw it on the television. What I recall of the plot is that there is this prototype handheld video game which projects a hologram of little fighter characters ( kinda like mortal combat kind of game ). These projections can actually interact with you, in one scene the sword cuts the kid's finger. The game is a demo though and they end up on the run for some reason. One of them ( I think it is a family but I don't recall, there is an adult woman a teen boy and a couple of other people I think ) figures out how to make it project full size and uses the game to defend against their pursuers, but the demo's timer ran out at a critical time and (I think) they got caught and brought to some corporation's headquarters. It had the feel of a late 80's movie or early 90's . The movie was in English. There were some actions scenes and a car chase or two I think. It took place in a city. I'm not sure about this but I think they hid in a warehouse for a little bit?

That was a good movie, but no it's not that movie. They never are inside the game. It's just this handheld game that is kinda shaped like a PSP, or a smaller switch. It has a prototype tech in it that allows projection of these holograms that can interact with things. They are on the run with it.

There was a fight scene where the bad guys come in and the group is hiding in the kitchen of some restaurant?