Best of 2012

Tools    

Sci-Fi Looper, Horror The Cabin in the Woods, Crime Savages.
Thanks just added Looper. I've actually seen Cabin in the Woods and half of Savages so i'll leave them off for now.

Silver Linings Playbook
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Wreck-It Ralph
Life of Pi

and Paperman (if we count Short movies)
Seen them all except Life of Pi; planning on reading the book first but i'll get around to it.

movies can be okay...
I can only strongly recommend "Simon Killer","Reality" and "Frances Ha" from 2012, it was such a weak year in comparison to others now looking at it.
Then again, there are a few other films from said year that I still have yet to see, such as "Holy Motors", "Living", "90 Minutes", "A Hijacking", "What Richard Did" and "Nameless Gangster", so who knows, maybe all of them are masterpieces.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

This might just do nobody any good.
Rust and Bone is a really good one. Not as good as A Prophet but Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts push it to next level. Again, really engaging work.

Might recommend Seven Psychopaths as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I guess you've got plenty so I won't take an hour to come up with my list, even though it is kinda memory-jogging.

Let the night air cool you off
Ernest & Celestine
Berberian Sound Studio
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
It's Such a Beautiful Day
Grabbers
Killing Them Softly
Maniac
Safety Not Guaranteed
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Excision
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Holy Motors
The Dark Knight Rises
Django Unchained
Silver Linings Playbook
(I need to rewatch this one, because I feel like I'll hate the sh*t out of it now)
Zero Dark Thirty
Moonrise Kingdom
Skyfall
Dredd
The Master
Wreck-It Ralph
Seven Psychopaths
Barbara

Some of those are obvious ones, some not. I like(d) all of these movies.

Let the night air cool you off
I guess you've got plenty so I won't take an hour to come up with my list, even though it is kinda memory-jogging.
Do it! I'm sure other people might like the recs too.

The Bay is the worst 2012 I've seen I think
So you are telling me i should trust you over this 9/10 IMDB Review?:

Needless to say we have had our fair share of bad 'found footage' horror films and I'm not a big fan of these but 'The Bay' is a fresh out look at it. I find that it always keeps a hint of mystery about it throughout the film.

The characters play their parts well despite them just being segments. You never loose touch on reality with the way the footage is put together and with the narration throughout you don't get mixed up, and its oddly thought provoking for a low budget movie, also the special effects are small but work well.

Barry Levinson has done well to bring a beat up genre back and show what can be done with it.
Think i'll take my chances with jacksongeorge56 thank you, added!

not really

So you are telling me i should trust you over this 9/10 IMDB Review?:

Think i'll take my chances with jacksongeorge56 thank you, added!

not really
I'll be honest - I only watched it because I thought it was an autobiography of Michael
jacksongeorge surely knows his sh1t better than I

Pretty interesting watch, and I'm not even a music guy.

Fairly laid back and simple biography.
Seen Sugarman. I've been wary of Hitchcock but since you're recing it i'll give it a shot.

It was a better year than it's given credit I think, specially on animation. Wolf children, Ernest and Celèstine, Wreck-it-Ralph, It's such a beautiful day, the Madoka movies... and these are the great ones, because there's also a lot of stuff that I'd still consider good enough. I have also watched various great arthouse/unconventional narrative films: A woman's revenge, In search of Emak Bakia, 36, Otel·lo, Mi loco Erasmus, Final cut: Ladies and gentlemen, Viola, Caesar must die.

Aside from these, Django, The hunt or Amour are quite recommendable, though you have probably watched or considered them already. I also like The master, Brave or The avengers to name other popular movies from 2012 but not quite on the same level. For a less popular recommendation here: The we and the I from Michel Gondry.

I miss a lot of stuff and certainly my tastes this year are biased towards animation and arthouse films but there's quite a nice amount of great movies.