Best of 2011

Tools    

This is the last of these i'll make tonight, @rauldc14 said he'd be more interested in this. Same as my 2010 one:

Been struggling to decide which films to watch from this decade recently, particularly foreign language stuff so i thought i'd go through the years and get some recs i may not be aware of. This is just a thread for talking about movies from the year 2011 so you can talk about whatever, just curious if there's some good stuff i'm not aware of or that i've overlooked so talk about your favourites or whatever please.
Here's all 47 movies i've seen from 2011 - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/2011/

I don't understand why Young Adult isn't talked about in the worst movies of all time category more. People seem to be way more angry at the directors Juno, that films only crime was trying to be really relevant which would obviously quickly backfire when its references and humour became dated. Young Adult is genuinely nasty and horrible, one of the worst films i've ever seen. Charlize Theron is a great actress so she brings something to the role but her character is the worst and the sympathetic characters are somehow even worse. Ugh.

From Up On Poppy Hill, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, and Take This Waltz. The latter two being absolute musts. Take This Waltz is directed by a woman as well, bonus.

From Up On Poppy Hill, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, and Take This Waltz. The latter two being absolute musts. Take This Waltz is directed by a woman as well, bonus.
You suggesting an anime is hilarious, hope we get you to the point that you're doing the same with horror after the
The Exorcist !

All three added, thanks.

This might just do nobody any good.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Out melancholy's Melancholia, features one of the best ensambles of the decade and Gary Oldman’s best performance.

You suggesting an anime is hilarious, hope we get you to the point that you're doing the same with horror after the
The Exorcist !

All three added, thanks.
When I watched a bunch of Ghibli a few years ago that was one of the two or three I really liked.

This might just do nobody any good.
No Tree of Life?

I still remember watching that in mid 2012. I was 15 and I coulda sworn the world had slowed down.

movies can be okay...
- Elena
- Michael
- Samsara
- The Kid with a Bike
- The Skin I Live In
- The Artist
- Wrinkles
- The Rabbi's Cat
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Out melancholy's Melancholia, features one of the best ensambles of the decade and Gary Oldman’s best performance.
I've seen part of that.

Well i've been reading a bunch about the Soviet Union lately so that fits, my next book is going to be Lenin's Tomb. Reading a book about James Garfield's assassination right now which is pretty interesting.

- Elena
- Michael
- Samsara
- The Kid with a Bike
- The Skin I Live In
- The Artist
- Wrinkles
- The Rabbi's Cat
Thanks alot! Your posts in these two threads are what i'm mostly looking for. The Artist and The Skin I Live In are the only ones i'm fully aware of there. Had also heard of Samsara and The Kid With A Bike but don't know much about them, the rest i haven't heard of.

By that i'm only meaning Okay is bringing my attention to some stuff i've never heard of, please continue to rec films regardless of how well they're known because i value alot of your opinions and i think it helps me decide what is and isn't immediately worth watching.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Five Broken Cameras
Bobby Fischer Against the World
Oslo, August 31st
Headhunters
Win Win
Where Do We Go Now?
Monsieur Lazhar
The Intouchables
Bullhead
George Harrison: Living in the Material World
Source Code
Fright Night
Hugo
MI: Ghost Protocol
Moneyball
50/50
Jane Eyre
Goon
Paul
My Week with Marilyn
Carnage
Hysteria
The Guard
The Devil's Double
Journey to Agartha
Flypaper
That's What I Am
The Music Never Stopped
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
Chicken with Plums
Kumaré
A Simple Life
Wrinkles
We Were Here
It's Such a Beautiful Day
Avé
Klitschko
Leafie, a Hen Into the Wild
Tales of the Night
Dark Girls
Shun Li and the Poet
Alois Nebel
The Giants
Shakespeare High
Free Radicals: A History of Experimental Film
Tatsumi
Eco-Pirate: The Story of Paul Watson
A Game of Honor
Craig Ferguson: Does This Need to Be Said?
Don't Expect Too Much
Fragments: Surviving Pieces of Lost Films
Special Flight
Brother Number One
Woody Allen: A Documentary

I don't actually wear pants.
My Way, the Korean World War II film, is my favorite of the year. Though inaccurate in some regards, it's an excellent look at war, and highly recommended.

I also love these:
White: Melody of the Curse
Front Line
War of the Arrows

Yep, all four I mentioned are Korean.

The Best Films of 2011

1. Take Shelter
2. The Tree of Life
3. A Separation
4. Shame
5. The Interrupters
6. Putty Hill
7. 13 Assassins
8. Incendies
9. Nostalgia for the Light
10. The Artist

Honorable mention: Margin Call, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Drive, Meek's Cutoff, Senna, Carnage, Like Crazy, Armadillo, Moneyball, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Seeking the Monkey King, The Skin I Live In, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Contagion, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Muppets, Certified Copy, Beginners, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Midnight in Paris, 50/50, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Attack the Block, Fast Five, Bernie, Win-Win, Rango, Where Soldiers Come From, The Future is Bright

A Separation, 13 Assassins, Incendies, Nostalgia for the Light, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Palme D'Or winner), Armadillo, The Skin I Live In, and Certified Copy are foreign language films if you're particularly interested in seeking those out.

Camo here's what I watched for 2011 ( that I can remember).

You've seen these already:
The Help (2011)
The Descendants (2011)
Beauty Day (2011)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
Melancholia (2011)
The Artist (2011)

Have you seen any of these:
Apollo 18 (2011)....I think you'd hate it.
In Time (2011)....I doubt you'd like it much.
The Loving Story (2011) ....a doc, you might like it
The Adjustment Bureau (2011)...you'd hate it
Flowers of War (2011)...were you in the Hof when I nominated this?

So the one movie I can think of that I've seen that you might like is
Another Earth (2011)....It's a small Indie film that's slower like a Kelly Reichhardt film.