Idea Pitch: Is it time for a new MoFo Top 100?

Tools    

Is this a good idea?
57.14%
20 votes
Yes
37.14%
13 votes
No
5.71%
2 votes
Don't care
35 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm definitely on-board with the whole waiting-until-2020 thing.

Also, I floated the idea of a Top 100 Films Directed By Women countdown a while back - that would definitely be an interesting change-up from the current decade-genre pattern, but we'll see if it ends up being an official list or not.
I'm on board with this one.

Also, I floated the idea of a Top 100 Films Directed By Women countdown a while back - that would definitely be an interesting change-up from the current decade-genre pattern, but we'll see if it ends up being an official list or not.
This sounds great. And I can be of some help here with recommendations. In another forum we had a top list of films directed by women months ago.

I like the idea of a Top 100 Films Directed By Women countdown. We've done just about everything else, and there's a whole lot of great movies directed by women that don't get the recognition they deserve.

Love this idea and we have needed a good one. I think most of us are leaning towards doing the next 100 in 2020 after all the decades are done. You should start a thread and see if this could be the next one.

Not everything needs to be a 5-10-15-20-25 year anniversary. AFI re-did their list nine years after their first one, not waiting til the 10 year mark.

Not everything needs to be a 5-10-15-20-25 year anniversary.
Quite true, but then, there's no "need" to update the list sooner, either. Nothing being proposed needs to happen, it's just all about what would be nice, what makes the most sense, etc.

I think the better argument here is that we haven't even finished the decades lists yet, and if we do one more (1930s and before), we just get the round number (which is nice, all else being equal) thrown in.

AFI re-did their list nine years after their first one, not waiting til the 10 year mark.
I'm guessing that had more to do with lead time and preparation, since they even called it the "10th Anniversary Edition."

That's pertinent to all this, too, because we're not actually talking about waiting a full two years to even start the list.

And just in case it isn't still obvious, this is just my opinion, and it should pretty much be treated like any other member's. You guys run this, so I'm counting on you to come to some kind of consensus. I expect at least most people to be on board with the eventual decision, but I'm not going to dictate it. Unless you collectively decide something manifestly insane.

We didn't do it after the 50's because people wanted to do all the decades so people got a chance to familiarize themselves with each decade before voting all time. There's no point in leaving out the 30's when that's all we have left. I don't even care about the 10 year anniversary thing but leaving out the 30's now would be dumb. Something after the 40's: Women if that's what everyone wants to do then 30's then something else then All-Time IMO.

Also i imagine the All-Time one can have a much shorter deadline than the others, because it's not as if people are going to watch films for that. Well they will but there's no set period like the decades or genres so very little is going to change peoples established favourites. And practically everyone will be able to send a list right away as i doubt anyone is joining a movie forum without 25 favourites. So it'd most likely be mid 2019 or something.

I can't wait for another 100 all time because I wasn't here to participate in the last. I can wait though and it definitely makes sense to get through the decades first. Doing the 2010's then the all time would be pretty sweet timing. Patience FW. Good things come to those who wait.

I can't wait for another 100 all time because I wasn't here to participate in the last. I can wait though and it definitely makes sense to get through the decades first. Doing the 2010's then the all time would be pretty sweet timing. Patience FW. Good things come to those who wait.
The other Countdowns will be great too, it's not as if All Time will be guaranteed better. Arguably it will be weaker since it'll be films we all know and most likely have seen.

Why do you have no interest in the other planned Countdowns?
I may participate in a couple of them, I don't know... I just really wanted to do this one. I'll try to be patient and hopefully still be here when it finally rolls around.

I may participate in a couple of them, I don't know... I just really wanted to do this one. I'll try to be patient and hopefully still be here when it finally rolls around.
You should, you'll enjoy it if you're excited for an all-time one. The thing with those of us who have been here for most of the Decade ones: i've been here since the 90's one, is that most of us have discovered favourites from each decade and it would just feel right to finish the decades before we re-do an all-time one. An all-time one is going to be nothing new for alot of us; i mean i've seen 95/100 of the 2010 list and i'm not one of the most watched members here, plus with how many lists are typically received for a Countdown now compared to 2010 some of the more unique choices won't do as well since they'll need alot more votes, i'd be surprised if it didn't look pretty typical with 50+ lists, and i wouldn't be surprised if it got closer to the 99 lists Holden got for the 70's Countdown since everyone can send a no limits 25. It's most likely going to be just an ordering of well known films compared to the decades where we all discover new stuff, it'll be great but better suited as an end to the cycle IMO.

I think we should wait ten years.

Okay so this isn't going to happen but I just wanted everyone to know that I will be doing a new personal top 100 probably in January. I've already given it a bit of thought and I hope you'll join me when it gets started!