Idea Pitch: Is it time for a new MoFo Top 100?

Tools    

Is this a good idea?
57.14%
20 votes
Yes
37.14%
13 votes
No
5.71%
2 votes
Don't care
35 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I think now would be a great time to start thinking about a re-do of the MoFo Top 100!

It says on the first list that it was done in 2010, almost 8 years is a pretty long time ago. I'm sure the landscape of this site has drastically changed since then. Heck, I only joined in January of 2015 and even back then this place seemed pretty different! There's been a ton of new members since then; thousands of new movies have been made. And even for those active members that were around back then, I'm pretty sure that their lists would look a little bit different this time around.

We can have a pretty long time to prepare and watch a lot of great movies before the deadline. If there's no other list planned after the 40s countdown, I'm thinking ballpark estimate may be January or February next year (most of us will be freezing our nuts off, so it would be a good thing to look forward to around that time!)

I also think it would be a great way for all of us to come together after the rather turbulent past year or so with all the political arguments that rather put a damper on things. It will remind us that we are all here for our love of film!

So, whaddya say?

Yeah I'd be interested

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I've had an idea rolling around for over 4 years.

Had to grab this from an old memory card I got laying around as it's been that long since I cooked the idea up.

Addition...

We are not alone…

E.T: The Extra Testicle, the Predator, the Xenomorph, a giant singing Flytrap in Mr Mushnik’s flower shop, those annoying Mr Fixit mini-saucers in Batteries Not Included, Mac from Mac And Me, the stereotypical “Grey Alien” from the plethora of movies they’ve appeared in, or Master Yoda himself.

Aliums are everywhere, at least on the Big Screen anyway, and every great sci-fi movie of the past 60+ years has had an off-world life form of one kind or another.

The big question on everyone’s lips right now is:

Which Alien is the most badassest of badasses, the most loveable of er, luvvie-ables (?)… the mostest bestest all-round Alien when it comes to, well, being an Alien?

Well, ok, maybe it’s not the big question right now, but it will be the big question once this Tourney is up and running.

Have a gander here for ideas… of course, there are hundreds of other webpages to go over though…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...raterrestrials

… then have a think… I needs thou votes.

Rules:

Top 20 format… kinda similar to the recent Countdowns held by various MoFos over the years, each voter picks their Top 20 Aliens that appear in Films… basically, if it has been in a film (cinematic or straight to home video, they all count), and it is an Alien, and you like him/her/it, then it counts.

No Television aliens though… movies only.

… 20th place on your list receives 1 point, and your #1 Alien receives 20 points.

Simply copy and paste this, fill it out with the name of the Alien, the full title of the film that it was in and the year the film was made and send it to me in a PM:

20th:

19th:

18th:

17th:

16th:

15th:

14th:

13th:

12th:

11th:

10th:

09th:

08th:

07th:

06th:

05th:

04th:

03rd:

02nd:

01st Alien:

Like with all other Tourneys, do not post your lists prematurely for everyone to see…

Voting closes ***, which gives us all exactly ** months to get lists together and post them in to me… the countdown will begin as soon as I have the numbers counted up and verified which will probably take me a day or two.

Whether this ends up as a Top 100, a Top 50 or, Heaven forbid, a measly Top 20, all depends on how many voters take part, so we need as many voters as possible to make sure as many non-human asskickers and rib-ticklers in the vast Universe gets a look in to fight it out in the ultimate showdown of Alien Badassery.

Forget those pathetic attempts at AvP… this, is where the real showdown is really at… oh, and, the Aliens seen in Indiana Jones do count, they are aliens, no matter what Lucas says.

I'm cool either way. My nuanced answer is "not quite yet," which I guess is "no" if I'm stuck with a binary choice, but it's definitely in range. I think it might be cool to time it so it happens on the 10th anniversary of the last one (which would actually mean we'd start it a fair bit sooner, obviously, since the watching period and countdown take up months), but it's been long enough that I'll gladly defer to the community consensus.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Let's do a Pinku Eiga countdown instead!!!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
No, wait until we have finished the decade countdowns. Also 8 years is not really that long, a 10 year anniversary redo makes much more sense.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"Newcomers" seem to always want one ASAP while "vets" usually have a reason to wait. We'll see.

I agree with the others, we should wait to redo any of the MoFo Top 100 List until we're done with the decades list.

But anyone can make their own personal Top 100 countdown thread. So maybe some would like to do that.

So then what is the next Countdown after the 1940s, going to be?

Has a decision been made as to how the remaining decades are going to be handled? Are they each getting their own countdown? Are we combining some or all of them?

Either way it's questionable as to whether I'll participate in any of the remaining decades countdowns, but I've been hoping for a new All Time Top 100 for a few years already.

Has a decision been made as to how the remaining decades are going to be handled? Are they each getting their own countdown? Are we combining some or all of them?

Either way it's questionable as to whether I'll participate in any of the remaining decades countdowns, but I've been hoping for a new All Time Top 100 for a few years already.
To partially answer that:

I'm hosting the 1930s Countdown and it will be done like the other decades countdowns were done. All films from 1930 to 1939.

So what's next? I don't know? but not the 1930s.. IMO we should do a Genre type countdown next, like we have done before.

I then image, there will be a Silent Era countdown 1890-1929 (though there are sound movies made during that period too, so I don't know how that would work). It might be hard to get a 100 out of it, might have to be a Top 50, that will be up to the host.

I'm cool either way. My nuanced answer is "not quite yet," which I guess is "no" if I'm stuck with a binary choice, but it's definitely in range. I think it might be cool to time it so it happens on the 10th anniversary of the last one (which would actually mean we'd start it a fair bit sooner, obviously, since the watching period and countdown take up months), but it's been long enough that I'll gladly defer to the community consensus.
Yeah I was figuring that some people would want it to be on the 10 year anniversary... Call me impatient, but I just don't really want to wait 2-plus more years just to do that. I don't even know 100% if I'll still be here in 2020. I'm not saying that I'm planning on leaving or anything, but I have no idea what life will throw at me in the future and if I'll still have the time to participate on this site like I have been.

No, wait until we have finished the decade countdowns. Also 8 years is not really that long, a 10 year anniversary redo makes much more sense.
8 years is not a long time??? I think it is, especially in message board years. This site is definitely an exception, but from my experience most message boards (including quite a few I've been on) only last for maybe 3-5 years max.

"Newcomers" seem to always want one ASAP while "vets" usually have a reason to wait. We'll see.
I've been wanting to do it right when I first joined this site, but decided to wait til now (2 years and 10 months later) to mention it. I don't really consider that ASAP.

On an off-note, this is literally the only place where being a member for almost 3 years is still considered being a "newcomer". I've been a member of about 20 message boards over the years, and there's been only ONE message board that I was active on for 3-plus years, and I was considered a VIP on there!

To partially answer that:

I'm hosting the 1930s Countdown and it will be done like the other decades countdowns were done. All films from 1930 to 1939.

So what's next? I don't know? but not the 1930s.. IMO we should do a Genre type countdown next, like we have done before.

I then image, there will be a Silent Era countdown 1890-1929 (though there are sound movies made during that period too, so I don't know how that would work). It might be hard to get a 100 out of it, might have to be a Top 50, that will be up to the host.
That's understandable if there's another countdown already planned. I guess we'll just see how this poll goes and go from there...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Newcomers should not be allowed to send a list in. How about a rule you have to be a member for at least 6 months for your list to qualify?

Welcome to the human race...
I'm definitely on-board with the whole waiting-until-2020 thing.

Also, I floated the idea of a Top 100 Films Directed By Women countdown a while back - that would definitely be an interesting change-up from the current decade-genre pattern, but we'll see if it ends up being an official list or not.

I haven't had the chance to run one of these things and would love to.

@False Writer are you saying you want to run this?
Probably not run it, I know I would do a mediocre job compared to some of the other members.

Yeah Suspect you could host it for sure... if we get the chance to. Judging by the poll there's a good few people that don't want to do it, there's still more yes than no, but not much.

I'd like to wait til maybe tonight to see if anyone else votes.

I haven't had the chance to run one of these things and would love to.
Go for it! You would do a good job!

What's your idea for the next countdown after the 1940s wraps up? I've heard different ideas mentioned, many were good. I do think something that hasn't already been done is the best. And if a lot of people are interested all the better.