Noirvember

Tools    

Ace in the Hole (1951). A very fine film with a ground breaking approach (no pun intended), and fine acting all around. The location even made it seem honest. But I never felt that it was really a noir.

~Doc

I don't actually wear pants.
From your top five, I've seen Out of the Past and Sunset Blvd., and I dig the former, and appreciate more than love the latter, although it's quite good, too. Reluctantly, I've yet to see the rest of your top five. Oops!

Some thoughts on those I've seen from your Watchlist:
The Maltese Falcon (1941) - I know this is an immensely popular film, and it deserves praise, but I can't quite get behind it 100%. I think it's because of the ending. I felt cheated. The suspense is great, though, and I dig the rest of the film, too, but I felt the ending betrayed the audience. Still, I highly recommend Maltese Falcon, and I hope you dig it.

The Big Sleep (1946) - Haven't seen. Oops!

The Killers (1946) - Nor here.

The Third Man (1949) - Love this one! I'm dying to get this film. I've seen Third Man twice, and I loved it more the second time. It flows like a river; strong, fast, confident, but tame enough to not get overwhelmed. Enjoy!

The Big Heat (1953) - A great one that's rather understated, in a good way. You won't be shocked, and the mystery is not the strongest, but you will be captivated and engrossed. Big Heat is a smooth noir with solid acting and a strong script with some strong shots and direction. Don't expect a masterpiece, but expect to be entertained.

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) - I'm yet to see this one.

Le Samourai (1967) - Hated it. Stupid Franchies don't know how to make films.

Le Cercle Rouge (1970) - Looks like crap. Stupid French people can't make good movies.

Blade Runner (1982) - Love it! I've only seen The Final Cut, but that doesn't bother me, and nor does the urge to remedy that. An excellent film.

L.A. Confidential (1997) - I've seen L.A. Confidential once, and loved it, but I haven't watched it since because the idiot who sold it to me on Amazon cancelled my order, and I haven't brought up the enthusiasm to try again. Still, an excellent film.

Have fun! After reading your watchlist, Third Man is my favorite.

Vertigo and Double Indemnity are my two favorite pre-60s noir films.

This week I just got around to watching Point Blank. Loved it!

Neo noir - I love Chinatown, Get Carter, Body Heat, The Long Goodbye, Klute, LA Confidential, No Country for Old Men, Se7en, Drive, Devil in a Blue Dress, just to name a few.

In recent years, two EXCELLENT neo noirs I've seen are Blue Ruin and Cold in July. I'd highly recommend both.

From your top five, I've seen Out of the Past and Sunset Blvd., and I dig the former, and appreciate more than love the latter, although it's quite good, too. Reluctantly, I've yet to see the rest of your top five. Oops!

Some thoughts on those I've seen from your Watchlist:
The Maltese Falcon (1941) - I know this is an immensely popular film, and it deserves praise, but I can't quite get behind it 100%. I think it's because of the ending. I felt cheated. The suspense is great, though, and I dig the rest of the film, too, but I felt the ending betrayed the audience. Still, I highly recommend Maltese Falcon, and I hope you dig it.

The Big Sleep (1946) - Haven't seen. Oops!

The Killers (1946) - Nor here.

The Third Man (1949) - Love this one! I'm dying to get this film. I've seen Third Man twice, and I loved it more the second time. It flows like a river; strong, fast, confident, but tame enough to not get overwhelmed. Enjoy!

The Big Heat (1953) - A great one that's rather understated, in a good way. You won't be shocked, and the mystery is not the strongest, but you will be captivated and engrossed. Big Heat is a smooth noir with solid acting and a strong script with some strong shots and direction. Don't expect a masterpiece, but expect to be entertained.

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) - I'm yet to see this one.

Le Samourai (1967) - Hated it. Stupid Franchies don't know how to make films.

Le Cercle Rouge (1970) - Looks like crap. Stupid French people can't make good movies.

Blade Runner (1982) - Love it! I've only seen The Final Cut, but that doesn't bother me, and nor does the urge to remedy that. An excellent film.

L.A. Confidential (1997) - I've seen L.A. Confidential once, and loved it, but I haven't watched it since because the idiot who sold it to me on Amazon cancelled my order, and I haven't brought up the enthusiasm to try again. Still, an excellent film.

Have fun! After reading your watchlist, Third Man is my favorite.
I really didn't love Sunset Blvd at all, although, like you said, I appreciate it.

Definitely watch In a Lonely Place as soon as possible, if not sooner.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Anybody else a fan of Angel Heart and The Grifters?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Bugger, doesnt work, doc. Satan eating the boiled egg.

Trying another gif of satan

I really didn't love Sunset Blvd at all, although, like you said, I appreciate it.
I mean, it's good, but I am not a huge fan.

Oh, and my favorite film noir are Hitchcock's Suspicion and Night of the Hunter. I forgot to put that on my previous post.

I mean, it's good, but I am not a huge fan.

Oh, and my favorite film noir are Hitchcock's Suspicion and Night of the Hunter. I forgot to put that on my previous post.
Same here. It's good, but I can't say I particularly loved it.

Strangers on a Train is a great Hitchcock noir.

This might just do nobody any good.
Angel Heart is good. Louis Cyphre is ridiculous, tho.

I’ve only seen bits of The Grifters. Seemed nice.

Angel Heart is good. Louis Cyphre is ridiculous, tho.

I’ve only seen bits of The Grifters. Seemed nice.
The Grifters has a quite a shocking ending. Definitely not what you'd expect.

I previously started a topic on it... A Simple Plan is a 90s noir that I'm a huge fan of.

Same here. It's good, but I can't say I particularly loved it.

Strangers on a Train is a great Hitchcock noir.
I'm not a fan of Strangers on a Train, mostly because I hated the ending. It just didn't sit well with me. I did like some of the tension, though, although some of the flow is rocky, and the lead character is a bit of an idiot.

All about this thread! Love all the movies mentioned! Throwing out these because I didn't spot them yet (sorry if someone mentioned them and I glossed it over):

I don't usually think of noir as a fav category for me, but the tasteful picks on this list reminded me of movies I wouldn't want to live without.

Blade Runner

Vertigo

Taxi Driver

What Lies Beneath

not exactly noir but I'm putting it in anyway:
The China Syndrome

And an old film, (I'd say a true noir despite it's non downer ending) I'd never heard of this one, but they played it so often on my local channel; it grew on me:
Fourteen Hours

In honor of Noirvember, I just rewatched The Last Seduction .

This is DEFINITELY one that required a second viewing. Wow. I thought it was excellent the first time, but this time I was blown away. Great noir film!

Tomorrow night I'm gonna go with House of Games (1987) never seen it but I've heard great things. Has anybody seen it?

I don't usually think of noir as a fav category for me, but the tasteful picks on this list reminded me of movies I wouldn't want to live without.

Blade Runner

Vertigo

Taxi Driver

What Lies Beneath

not exactly noir but I'm putting it in anyway:
The China Syndrome

And an old film, (I'd say a true noir despite it's non downer ending) I'd never heard of this one, but they played it so often on my local channel; it grew on me:
Fourteen Hours
China Syndrome isn't noir, but it's a great movie. Masterclass performance from Jack Lemmon.