Series You Rank In Release Order

Tools    

I agree. I enjoy all three of them in their own way but feel they declined just a little bit as they went along. It'll be interesting to see if The Avengers trilogy follows this pattern. The original is excellent and I also thought Age Of Ultron was a strong follow-up albeit just a tad bit a lesser film overall. So much is riding on Infinity War.

Another one thinking it over could be House. Not sure how many here are Horror fans or familiar with the series. The original is a fun EC Comics-style Horror romp, the second not as good but still weird and goofy fun. Where things get confusing is the third installment, The Horror Show, released everywhere but North America as House III, which led to some confusion. I remember seeing the fourth one long ago on cable but it's been so long I can't fairly rate it. Consensus is though it's terrible.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Another series I forgot to mention were the Rambo movies.

I'm not really into Stallone myself, for the most part, but my wife's a big action fan, and she likes First Blood better than the later ones, too.

Another one thinking it over could be House. Not sure how many here are Horror fans or familiar with the series. The original is a fun EC Comics-style Horror romp, the second not as good but still weird and goofy fun. Where things get confusing is the third installment, The Horror Show, released everywhere but North America as House III, which led to some confusion. I remember seeing the fourth one long ago on cable but it's been so long I can't fairly rate it. Consensus is though it's terrible.
I remember seeing the first one in the theater, and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it, but I never got around to the later ones. Sounds like a good thing.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm not really into Stallone myself, for the most part, but my wife's a big action fan, and she likes First Blood better than the later ones, too.
I feel that each one just gets a little less.

I remember seeing the first one in the theater, and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it, but I never got around to the later ones. Sounds like a good thing.

House II is actually a pretty fun movie provided you go in knowing it's a completely different, unrelated film. The Horror Show (House III in most parts of the world) is different but good in it's own right as well. Strange for a series to have sequels that have no relation or connection with each other whatsoever.

I like all the Rambo films to varying degrees. They nearly go in release order for me with how I'd rank them except I'd put 4 over 3. They're all entertaining but the first has the edge for me. I think it's just the much more emotional story and the atmosphere of it, whereas the sequels are more traditional Action movies.

Another series I could see being a choice for some is The Thing, taking into account both the 1951 original and the 1982 remake. The remake is a highly celebrated and revered film (IMO rightfully so, a true Horror classic), but I know of quite a few who prefer the 1951 original, which I've yet to see. Most would probably rate the 2011 prequel last. I actually didn't mind the prequel unlike many, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near the 1982 movie.

It's been so many years since I last watched them but one series I sometimes see people cite as one that got worse with each new entry is Police Academy. It's been way too long since I last saw any and I don't recall even seeing the last few or so, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone say anything positive about the final film. I wouldn't be surprised if many would cite this series as one of diminishing returns.

Toy Story is one that could go in RO for me, I've yet to see the sequels and haven't seen the original since childhood. The consensus seems to be they're all good but the third the least so, which doesn't say much.

This might just do nobody any good.
The third one is a really strong movie. Obviously it benefits from pre-existing attachment but it’s still top 10 Pixar for me.

How's this for a coincedence, saw in my TV listings that the Disney Channel will be showing all three Toy Story movies tomorrow. I've already set my DVR and will watch them this week. Should be interesting to re-visit the original for the first time in so long and also see the sequels for the first time.

Bringing this back.

I sadly did not get to watch the Toy Story series before as I said earlier, running low on DVR space and had to clear them but next time I'll surely see them. Isn't the fourth one coming out next year?

The Matrix
The Purge
Resident Evil
The Fast and the Furious
Ip Man

The Avengers might actually be one for me as well, after Infinity War. Infinity War was awesome and for me pretty equal with Age Of Ultron, both are good in their own right. But I still think the original Avengers is overall the best and the two sequels are equal. I have to see Infinity War again a few times to be sure, though.

Will be interesting to see if Jurassic Park/World is still one for me after Fallen Kingdom. Early reviews so far are mixed.

After seeing Fallen Kingdom, I'd say Jurassic Park/World is no longer a series I'd rank in order of release. I'd rank Fallen Kingdom in third place, above the third and fourth, but well below the first two. Fallen Kingdom wasn't too bad really, but there's the feeling the series should call it a day, although the way it ended has me intrigued as to what they'll do in the next film.

After seeing Fallen Kingdom again I'd definitely easily place it in third place behind the first two. It's got problems with the script for sure, but it was still a pretty fun watch once you got past that. If you count the first three as a seperate trilogy I'd definitely rate them in descending order, with the third being a sizable drop-off from the first two. Although JP3 isn't exactly good, I have a lot of nostalgia for it and always have a hard time being totally down on it.