Tom Cruise is the biggest Hollywood star of all time.

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
because Tom was borne into the end of the Bratpack Era... those who really made a splash, stayed there, and Tom was the only one who really made it big.
Huh the end of the brat pack era was 1983? Is that what you just said for real? Tom Burst onto the scene in the lead of Risky Business that year.

Thats kinda weird, as the brat packiest of brat pakky flicks was the tour de force that was the Breakfast Club, and that didnt come out til 85'.

The person who gave me a negative rep rating for my earlier comment clearly has an erection for Cruise! XD

The other night saw Cruise on Jimmy Fallon, all 5'4 and 3/4" of him:

How they could cast him as the 6'5" Jack Reacher just confounds me.
In tipycal Cruise fashion he tried to impress by pointing out how he hurt his foot by kicking a stunt man 55 times in the nuts during the making of the movie.
Perfect for "what did the other guy look like " question.
I can say with outmost certainty that Cruise is not my favorite mighty mouse.
What's funny is that actors and boxers often lie about their height and 99% of sources are wrong.
Cruise is listed as being 5'7" and Jimmy Fallon at 5'10" but when they stand next to each other Jimmy is almost a head taller.
Danny Devito is listed at 5'0" and Dustin Hoffman at 5'5" and they are both midgets and Cruise is really the same height as Hoffman.

For me Brad Pitt is the one man that beats Tom Cruise hands down.

For me Brad Pitt is the one man that beats Tom Cruise hands down.
Harrison Ford and Tom Hans you can make an argument.Even then,they would lose

I would easily place Will Smith over Brad Pitt

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The other night saw Cruise on Jimmy Fallon, all 5'4 and 3/4" of him:

How they could cast him as the 6'5" Jack Reacher just confounds me.
In tipycal Cruise fashion he tried to impress by pointing out how he hurt his foot by kicking a stunt man 55 times in the nuts during the making of the movie.
Perfect for "what did the other guy look like " question.
I can say with outmost certainty that Cruize is not my favorite mighty mouse.

you sound like comic fans regarding Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, albeit in reverse.

Turns out there isnt a plethora of 6t 5 250 pound men that passed on sports to opt instead for the drama club in highschool/ college.

Wow i thought it was Harrison Ford..? Maybe its old info I had, or measured in eanother way or somehting.

All I've seen so far is praise for Tom Cruise in that Jack Reacher film after all the moaning from people about his height compared to the book character.

you sound like comic fans regarding Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, albeit in reverse.

Turns out there isnt a plethora of 6t 5 250 pound men that passed on sports to opt instead for the drama club in highschool/ college.
I don't know if you've ever read a Lee Child's novel, especially the ones about Jack Reacher. If you had, you would have realized that the main character exudes power and strength and is huge and therefore the appeal to many fans. To turn him into a diminutive Tom Cruise wannabe tough guy is a dissapointment and an insult to the character. I'm sure that many who have never read the books might find the movie and character interesting but most of us that have read the books, find the movie adaptation a joke.
As far as casting goes, to find someone that fits the size would certainly be a problem but that's why we have casting directors. I, for one, would have rather invisioned Liam Neeson as Jack Reacher, any day.

Wow i thought it was Harrison Ford..? Maybe its old info I had, or measured in eanother way or somehting.
I believe as a star,Tom Cruise is bigger than Harrison Ford.

On gross total adjusted for inflation;Ford may beat Cruise.But that is because of Star Wars and Indiana Jones.Harrison Ford is a huge star no doubt.Indiana Jones couldn't have been a success without him but Star Wars could have run without him.If you check out his top grossing movies;top 3 are Star Wars.

Harrison Ford had flops as lead actor.

Tom Cruise as a lead actor hasn't had a single box office flop as lead actor since Top Gun

I believe as a star,Tom Cruise is bigger than Harrison Ford.

On gross total adjusted for inflation;Ford may beat Cruise.But that is because of Star Wars and Indiana Jones.Harrison Ford is a huge star no doubt.Indiana Jones couldn't have been a success without him but Star Wars could have run without him.If you check out his top grossing movies;top 3 are Star Wars.

Harrison Ford had flops as lead actor.

Tom Cruise as a lead actor hasn't had a single box office flop as lead actor since Top Gun
I think you are missing your own point. Hollywood Star is not just about making money. My definition would certainly include charisma of which Tom Cruise is certainly most lacking in. Do you really think most men would want to be him and he's the one most women dream about?

The biggest Hollywood star of all time needs:

- Charism
- Box office succeses
- Memorable roles
- Press attention
- Critical acclaimed movies
- Awards
- Great reputation in Hollywood

Tom Cruise certainly is one of the biggest ever. No doubt about that. But in my opinion he lacks a little bit of charism to be called the biggest Hollywood star of all time. He also lacks an oscar and a great reputation.

In my opinion, the honor of being the biggest Hollywood star of all time goes to Jack Nicholson.

- Charism
- Box office succeses
- Memorable roles
- Press attention
- Awards

Tom Cruise certainly is one of the biggest ever. No doubt about that. But in my opinion he lacks a little bit of charism to be called the biggest Hollywood star of all time. He also lacks an oscar and a great reputation.

In my opinion, the honor of being the biggest Hollywood star of all time goes to Jack Nicholson.
Not a bad choice. I would have to go with Marlon Brando

- Charism
- Box office succeses
- Memorable roles
- Press attention
- Awards

I was talking about box office success alone and nobody is a bigger box office star than Tom Cruise

If it is box office success and Oscar wins;Spencer Tracy or Tom Hanks win

Marlon Brando didn't have a single hit in 1960's.
The Oscar for best actor should have gone to Al Pacino,not Marlon Brando.Brando should have got supporting actor in Godfather.

I was talking about box office success alone and nobody is a bigger box office star than Tom Cruise

The Oscar for best actor should have gone to Al Pacino,not Marlon Brando.Brando should have got supporting actor in Godfather.
Brando was the Godfather. The movie is about him. Should he have supported himself? Besides, Al Pacino wasn't even as good as James Caan in that movie.
Brando, no hits in the 60's????

1961 - One Eyed Jacks
1962 - Mutiny On The Bounty
1966 - The Chase
1966 - The Appaloosa
1969 - Burn

I could argue about some other ones, but I won't as these should suffice.
You don't know much about movies, do you?

To even dare to compare Cruise with Brando is blasphemy.
Brando was a God in his era. He even overshadowed Paul Newman. Cruise is just a mouse surrounded by better looking, tougher, better acting guys. He is just a very marketable actor but far from a real star. He has made good choices in his roles and has very good connections and is an expert at kissing ass, but as far as being super-star, if he was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him to put it out.
The only thing he got right was marry Nicole Kidman but for all the wrong reasons.

Not a bad choice. I would have to go with Marlon Brando
Cruise is an average actor, not even close to the brilliant talent of Brando or Nicholson.

Id have to give my vote to Pacino or DeNiro.

Then your title shouldn't be "Tom Cruise is the biggest Hollywood star of all time", because he simply is not.

Brando can certainly be seen as the biggest movie star of all time, but I think he is not, because he was clearly anti-Hollywood (certainly at the end of his life).

I personally think he's more worth the title of greatest film actor of all time (not in my opinion, but he's perfectly justifiable), than biggest Hollywood star of all time.

Al Pacino and DeNiro are also possible contenders. Personally I think DeNiro is the 'bigger' one of these two.

But I stay with my original Thought.

- 3 oscars won out of 12 nominations (1970-2003)
- AFI Lifetime Achievement Award
- Iconic roles as Jake Gittes, Jack Torrance, McMurphy, The Joker, ...
- Critically acclaimed films
- Big blockbusters like Batman, Cuckoo's Nest, Terms of Endearment, ... With all his films with a leading role together, he almost grossed 2 billion dollars (that's a lot for an actor of his generation)
- Very popular in Hollywood and very respected among fellow actors
- CHARISM

I don't think any actor can show off such a career as Jack Nicholson.

Brando was the Godfather. The movie is about him. Should he have supported himself? Besides, Al Pacino wasn't even as good as James Caan in that movie.
Brando, no hits in the 60's????

1961 - One Eyed Jacks
1962 - Mutiny On The Bounty
1966 - The Chase
1966 - The Appaloosa
1969 - Burn

I could argue about some other ones, but I won't as these should suffice.
You don't know much about movies, do you?
Marlon Brando was a disaster in 1960's.All his movies flopped at the box office.They were loved by critics but did horribly business wise.

I ll stick to my opinion-Nobody was/is a bigger box office success than Tom Cruise.

20 movies of Tom Cruise have opened to number 1 at the box office.Beat That.