"Project MoFo" Update

Tools    

Alright, a bit of an update for you all...

The first phase is most definitely complete...meaning 99% of the all the groundwork is laid. IE: I have a mostly functional site up and ready to go, and If I really had to, I could launch with no content and a semi-working site right now.

I'm part-way through the second phase of the construction as well...which consists primarily of making decisions, but also involves some more programming for new features or changes I decide upon. Cosmetic changes are present as well, but for the most part, I'm making decisions, and then setting the new features in stone.

The third phase, which I'm very close to, begins as soon as I think I have the site ready to go, and it involves several things:

1) Having a few very select MoFos (and some other web developers, most likely) browse through the new site in case any 11th hour changes can/need to be made. This is basically a debugging/beta-testing process, as well as sociliation for feedback to help ensure the new site is greeted well.

2) Contacting some other movie sites (well, maybe after launch for that) about things and look at a few friendly partnerships or link exchanges. In general, try to let the other sites know that we're here, in hopes of establishing some friendly lines of communication.

3) Start looking for advertising providers and other various sources of revenue. If I can somehow make half a living off of this site, it would be glorious! I would be able to put so much into it. Wanna get a head start on any potential bandwidth costs (JoBlo is apparently getting very close to shutting down come January, BTW. ).

4) One of the most important parts of the third phase: stockpile a little bit of content. Post a few reviews before the launch, a little news, some B.O. reports, and take some time to fill up some of the other sections, so the b*tchin' automated database system isn't sitting there empty at first.

5) Shut the site down (maybe for a few hours), transfer the forums over and all that, and then open!

Now With Moveable Parts
*clapping hands with excitement*...yea...it's so exciting! As far as advertising goes...movie trailers would be awesome...do you go through the distributer for that? I don't know...but that would be cool to have relative advertising...all movie-related spots.

Oh...well, we can't really embed a trailer as an ad like that...the ads would probably be arts & entertainment related, though...as targetted as possible, hopefully. If we do get big enough, someone might approach us with an offer to add a news item about a new trailer or something, though. That'd be cool. I wouldn't have trailers otherwise, though...not unless they were just links to trailers elsewhere, because they take up a lot of space/bandwidth.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, trailers should be linked from a site that has the storage for such things.

As far as the select few MoFos, have you contacted the ones that are going to be helping out with the site, yet or is that something you're going to do a little later?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
I didn't mean like the WHOLE trailer...I ment,just an advertisment for the movie.I've seen them on other sites.They take up about an inch at the top of the screen and sometimes it's just like a poster for the movie,and sometimes it changes...I don't know,it was just a thought.

Well, if they have 468x60 banners, I'll surely show interest. Spud: I've contacted some, but I haven't decided on it yet. It's mostly going to be people I've known for quite awhile, and even then, you'll probably only see it 1-2 weeks before everyone else.

Now With Moveable Parts
Are you keeping all the same catagories,or will there be new ones? I thought it would be neat to have a board about actors and actresses only.I like to discuss actor's performances,without deviating off a thread,just my own personal prefrence,if you're just keeping it the way it is,I'm down with that.

Now With Moveable Parts
spdrcr,you have something brownish in color on the end of your nose...just kidding...LOL...

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i'm sure if you take TWT out to dinner and offer a dozen roses and a box of code he might be persuaded to submit to your wicked whims ...

i like that actor's actresses idea.

also ... perhaps a way to prevent a new thread that repeats at topic from being opened until the previous thread is closed.

example, if someone made a Lord of the Rings thread 5 months ago and then someone comes along and makes a second one (not knowing there was one already) the name "Lord of the Rings" would prompt a response saying "you cannot create this thread, another one already exists" ...

or, after a certain time period or number of pages a default close-down (or a moderator close down) would be good so we know a thread is dead for sure and all new conversation moves to the follow up thread (maybe to be titled "Lord of the Rings - Thread 2" etc.

Ya know, that's really freaky, because, as it just so happens, the new site (well, what's done, at least) is up on the web right now. At this very moment! Technically, you could all go visit it if you knew the URL...but I was a bit sneaky about hiding it. Anyway, to get back to my original point: I've already devised a simple forum/category structure for the new boards...and, amazingly, one of the forums is targetted at actors/directors...however, It's also for Directors. Figured I'd couple those together.

I was gonna have it cover Awards, too, but I think I'll couple those with the Box Office forum, so as to have one basic forum for praise -- both commercially, and critically (award shows).

Spud: don't worry, I'll get you involved somehow. Haven't known you that long, but I'll try to get you at least a little in the loop.

Miriam: *definitely* good ideas, although they may not be plausible. Detecting whether or not another thread that conflicts with the new one has already been posted will require a fairly "smart" script...not exactly Artificial Intelligence, but a mild form of it. Otherwise it could go nuts. I'll just need more slave labor to moderate with.

Alright TWT, it's just you have no idea how much I want to help out with this thing, and all. LOL..

I think mainly when a new member comes along to register you should make it clear that horseplay should be contained to the intermission, and copycat threads will be deleted. Or something to that nature.

AHHHHH, I think I just saw the new logo. If I did, then it looks fantastic. That's all I'm gonna say. I'm not going to give anything else away. Just wanted to say that though.

Hmmm, yeah, Spud, you probably did see the logo. I think I know how you found it, too. IM me on ICQ or MSN so I can confirm...and, if necessary, make sure none of your other rascals go snooping (just kidding). Glad you like it, though...because if you think the logo is fantastic, you'll surely dig the rest of the layout. Oh, and in case you're wondering, the, uh, "thing" on the left, was hand-drawn and then converted into a computer file, or so the designer tells me...cizool, eh?

YES, very cool. I did a little more snooping and found some other stuff, but like I said, I'm not saying anything about it. What's your ICQ number?

TWT, there was another logo there, that looked wicked. Why not use that for the current logo? That one looks way better than the one you're using right now.

I mean, I can make the same logo you have now in like 10 seconds, that other one looks like it took time to make, I would most definetly use it.

I izzemailed you about it...please reply when you get a chance. Wanna discuss things a bit (not mad or anything, just wanna see what you think, figure out what you saw/didn't see, etc).

Which email did you use? my terraworld address is temporarily down.

Nevermind, it still works, but I don't check it that often. You're more likely to get a response from me if you send it to either [email protected] or [email protected]. I check the first one while i'm here at the school, I mean I leave it open all day. The other one I check while I'm at home(which i'm not right now)

[Edited by spdrcr on 10-16-2001]