Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

→ in
Tools    

What a great movie seriously. Tim Burton has furthed solidified himself as one of my favoirte directors. From the movies awsome looking sets to its story i loved every second of this movie. I actually found it more entertaining than War of the Worlds. I recomend everyone to go see this.

So whats everyone else's opions on this movie?

Lets put a smile on that block
I CANNOT WAIT to see this. I love the Wonka...and the Burton aint that bad either.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Once again a disspointment to my summer movie fun. I wanted to see this movie more than anything this year and it let me down. I wont write a long review ill just say this: The oompa loompa songs were horrible and i dreaded each one. The Backstory of Willy took away from his mysterious sinister creative personality (although i did like depp playing wonka). The movie was great up until that first song by the loompas. then it went downhill. I think if they would have eliminated the whole family elemant of the movie (which made it seem way too much like a childrens film even though i know the book was a childrens book i had expected this movie to be a little darker). So the film was good ill say except for Wonkas backstory and the ompa loompa songs.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

So Money and I Don't Even Know It!
I can't wait to see this especially after all the good reviews.
Though I am slightly worried about how Johnny Depp portrays Willy Wonka. I've seen the little bits of him in the commercials and I think he looks like and acts like an idiot.

the backstory was not in the book and added, but i enjoyed that...explained a lot about how the factory was started...however roald dahl wrote the songs that the oompa loompas sang every time another child had gotten into trouble...

AznSuperman
Is this better than the original version

I thought it was decent but it was nowhere near the original in my opinion. Depp tended to get on my nerves with his voice and the way he acted. Also the few minor changes kinda semmed weird since i've seen the original quite a few times. Also the oom pa loompa songs were horrible in my IMHO. But the visuals on this movie were great and it was nice to kick back and watch an enertaining movie. All in all nice film. But like Susan said, you can't speak for everyone.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by susan
the backstory was not in the book and added, but i enjoyed that...
I took the kids yesterday and we all really enjoyed it. We were even giggling afterwards repeating some of Depp's lines. And, I love the little boy who plays Charlie.

I liked the backstory too susan.

I haven't yet seen this, how close is it the Charlie and the Chocolate factory. I used to watch that all the time when I was a kid.

Originally Posted by flann
I haven't yet seen this, how close is it the Charlie and the Chocolate factory. I used to watch that all the time when I was a kid.
not sure what you mean...if you mean is it close to the gene wilder film i would have to say yes and no....yes, some of the instances are the same, the sets, the plot and characters are the same with minor changes...however this charlie and the chocolate factory is much much closer to the book than willy wonka was....

i hope this helps

Johnny Depp was, in all honesty, horrifyingly creepy to me. I think he miscalculated this role a little. Still, the movie overcame that flaw, with a much more visually interesting take on the factory, interesting songs, and an immensely likeable character in Charlie.

The lack of backstory worked in the first one, because we didn't have as much of an attachment to Charlie, and we could believe that Willy Wonka would randomly decide the winner based on giving a piece of candy back. It wouldn't have worked here.

I thoguht this movie was great, i saw it twice already. I was a little unsure about how Depp portrayed Wonka at first, but after seeing it i think he did a great job. This is a perfect example of a movie where the Burtonesque style really did a lot for it. Good stuff.

I Hate Star Wars
I think Tim Burton droped the ball on this one. First off it was not the classic good film we were used to (I wasn't expecting it to be the same I mean come on when was the last Tim Burton directed a normal film) but a big pile of garbage. Butron felt the need to explore and explain the reasoning for the madness of Willy Wanka. This to me was half the fun of the original movie. I liked viewing him as nothing more than a crazy guy who has a bad ass chocolate factory and a bunch of singing midget slaves but no, Burton had to mess it all up and explain that they weren't midget slaves but weird foreign midgets who he helped out of poverty and certain extinction. He also had to give a reason for Wankas madness. He couldn't just be sweet and have a bad ass chocolate factory but he had to have a messed up chocolateless childhood and a verbally abusive father who just so happened to be a dentist. All of that aside this was not a movie about a chocolate factory oh no, it was merely a sugar coated version of the Michael Jackson story. Think about it, A grown man has a horrible child hood and an abusive father had his childhood taken away from him so he builds a weird wonderland of a chocolate factory to try to relive his childhood in. Plus he doesn't know how to talk to adults and only befriends kids. This sounds exactly like Michael Jackson. He had a bad childhood and an abusive controlling father, so in his later years builds Never never land (a house with a zoo/amusement park built on it) to relive his childhood in. Jackson like Wanka can't speak to adults and his only friends are kids. To top it all off they look shockingly alike and they have the same soft wierd voice and mannerisms.

A system of cells interlinked
^^^^^^

Movie Forums Member
Of all the movies this summer, I have not yet been able to see this one and I have heard many mixed reviews about it. I just wanted to know if it is worth the money to go or just wait for dvd. So many movies come out in the next few weeks anyways and I'd have to cut one of them to check this out. This did get two thumbs up, (but that's probably because it applied to a large audience)

I thought that Michael Jackson and the Chocolate Factory was Tim Burton's best film to date.