Great stories

Tools    

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Lock stock and two smoking barrels had a good story, Snatch not so much

get shorty i thought had a good story too, i love the stories where there are lots of stories interlinked and stuff. Like Magnolia - i thought that was an excellent story (stories: plural)

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
Lock stock and two smoking barrels had a good story, Snatch not so much

get shorty i thought had a good story too, i love the stories where there are lots of stories interlinked and stuff. Like Magnolia - i thought that was an excellent story (stories: plural)
Have you read much by Elmore Leonard UnderCover? If you're a fan of Get Shorty you might want to pick some up. You can usually find them pretty cheap on Half.com, especially if you order more than one.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Fight Club

Chinatown

The Third Man

The Usual Suspects

Almost every Alfred Hitchcock thriller

High Noon

Once upon a time in America

Manon Des Sources

and the recent gem Goodbye Lenin are some of my favourites and IMO are great stories

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
ive never heard of elmore leonard, could you name of their books i might have heard of them?
That's sad. Also probably not true. I'm sure you know and like movies from Elmore Leonard books, you just don't know the name Elmore Leonard.

Elmore is a writer who's work has been adapted into movies since the 1960s. He's also tried his hand at screenwriting, but his strength is as a novelist. He has a pitch-perfect ear for dialogue, and has great fun putting quirky characters in genre plots.

He's known best for his crime fiction, but he's also written a bunch of Westerns and a few other pieces that are difficult to slot in any easy genre. And while Hollywood has been making his books into movies for nearly forty years, they didn't get it right until a man named Scott Frank did the adapting with Get Shorty (1995). Frank is the screenwriter who finally cracked the Elmore Leonard nut, and good adaptations have followed in its wake (including another by Scott Frank himself). Like magic, all the sudden everybody seemed to "get" how to do it. And notably for all you fanboys out there, Tarantino gives most of the credit to his dialogue style to reading Elmore Leonard novels.

The three Leonard movies everybody probably knows - and that are probably the best of the lot too: Get Shorty (1995 - Barry Sonnenfeld), Jackie Brown (1997 - Quentin Tarantino) and Out of Sight (1998 - Steven Soderbergh). I also like Touch (1997 - Paul Schrader), Hombre (1967 - Martin Ritt), 3:10 to Yuma (1957 - Delmer Dawes), 52 Pick-Up (1986 - John Frankenheimer) and Mr. Majestyk (1974 - Richard Fliescher). Most of the others (and there are many) are flawed in lots of ways, everything from the script to the budget to the director and too often all three.

Be Cool, Leonard's sequel to Get Shorty, will be in theaters soon, with Travolta reprising his role of Chili Palmer and a whole new slew of supporting characters played by the likes of Uma Thurman, Vince Vaughn and Cedric the Entertainer. Unfortunately Scott Frank didn't adapt the screenplay this time, so we'll see how it turns out. The trailer is decent enough, but the trickiest thing to get with Elmore's stuff is the all-important tone. Hopefully they nailed it as well as Get Shorty did.

Also coming late this year is Tishomingo Blues, directed by and co-starring the great Don Cheadle. This one I have high hopes for and could be quite interesting.

Leonard has over a couple dozen books in print, and still comes out with a new one every year or so.

So, still say you don't know who Elmore Leonard is?

BUT, as to Leonard's writing related to the specific topic of this thread, I'd never put his name onto such a list. He's a terrific writer, but the plots are often afterthoughts or merely a loose framework. Leonard is all about character and dialogue. His story writing, per se, is actually pretty weak. A master of tone and attitude, but doesn't seem to give a flip about plots and often abandons narrative strands midway through his books. It works great for him, but would seem to preclude him from such a discussion as this.

I think, anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

^ Yeah, what he said!

Neutral Milk Hotel
The Best Story Id say The Lord of the Rings. Its the classic Struggle between good and evil and the history in it is so in depth that it feels like it actually happened. As for mst creative Story Id have to Edward Scisor hands. I mean who the Hell thought of a guy with Scissors for hands?
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
That's sad. Also probably not true.
no, like i said, id never heard of Elmore Leonard. I know some films ive seen and he was involved in them. thats not to say i know who he is. Anywho, thankyou greatly for your contribution Mr. Pike, i am now enlightened.

The Christmas Story

It has everything. I watch it every year, and every year it is different.

Casablanca (1942)
Festen (Thomas Vinterberg)
North by Northwest (Hitchcock 1958)
Spirited Away

Would also like to mention American Beauty, even though it's been mentioned earlier.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
one that just popped into my head is The Great Gatsby

AznSuperman
Superman The Movie
Batman Begins
A Walk to Remember

Def:

American Beauty
American History X
Good Will Hunting
Meet Joe Black
Green Mile