Looking for help to ID a crime drama

Tools    

This movie is probably from the 90's or later. I recall more about the male protagonist's character than the actual plot unfortunately. He's involved with something illegal. My best guess is a drug dealer, or a hitman. What stands out to me is his emphasis on being ready, if something were to go wrong, to just drop everything at a moment's notice and basically abandon his life. At some point he gets involved with a female character. I'm not sure what the circumstances were that brought them together, but he is reluctant about the whole situation. I think she starts becoming more involved with what he's doing. However, he isn't confident that she could prepare herself to follow his "code" if you will. Inevitably something does goes wrong, and this code gets put to the test when the two of them become separated. To my recollection this happens in an urban area where one of them is waiting in a car or among people on the street for the other to return. I feel like there was a window of time for the other to come back, and it became more and more dramatic with each passing second. I can't remember what happens in the end, which is mainly why I'm hoping someone else might be able to help me out. Thanks for any replies, I appreciate it.

Heat starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino.