Should posts on ignore be completely hidden?

Tools    

Think that might be pretty tough to code, unfortunately, but I can take a look in case I'm wrong. We talking just with New Posts? And just as the last post?

There's some funky logic here because even if I can, it would probably only be based on last post. So if five people not on ignore reply, then someone on ignore does last, it still wouldn't show up.

Think that might be pretty tough to code, unfortunately, but I can take a look in case I'm wrong. We talking just with New Posts? And just as the last post?

There's some funky logic here because even if I can, it would probably only be based on last post. So if five people not on ignore reply, then someone on ignore does last, it still wouldn't show up.
I figured it might be too complicated, but yes I meant just the last post. It's not a major issue, just kind of annoying anyway.

Wonder who has the most members on ignore!
I have 21 people in my ignore list. That's like 1/4 of all active users. In my case I guess it's better that way so that it prevents any unproductive conversation.

Wonder who has the most members on ignore!
I have 21 people in my ignore list. That's like 1/4 of all active users. In my case I guess it's better that way so that it prevents any unproductive conversation.
Wow that is a lot! I like to play the quizzes though so rather than mess up the flow of a game i just ignore certain people, when i recognise their avatars i by pass them, no longer interested in what they have to say!

Wow that is a lot! I like to play the quizzes though so rather than mess up the flow of a game i just ignore certain people, when i recognise their avatars i by pass them, no longer interested in what they have to say!
To me to make ignored users completely hidden improved the forum a lot. Thing is that I am a very sensitive and curious person so I got curious to click on what ignored users said even though I knew they weren't going to say anything productive and would just throw insults at me, which lead me to respond. Now they just do not exist and so things are much better.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
To me to make ignored users completely hidden improved the forum a lot. Thing is that I am a very sensitive and curious person so I got curious to click on what ignored users said even though I knew they weren't going to say anything productive and would just throw insults at me, which lead me to respond. Now they just do not exist and so things are much better.
I cant imagine anyone insulting you. You're always very pleasant, Guapo.

I asked Yoda once if entire threads could be ignored. I find that a more pleasant option than ignoring users, as it may just be that certain topics bring out the wort in them (straight face now, @Dani8), but otherwise you'd have great conversations over films.

But it sounded like a lot of work, and maybe it's just me who thinks threads should be given the individual adieu.

Probably too much work, and he's probably celebrating this weekend.

LOL I just noticed what you did there.

Ahhh i'm the opposite, i'm not a curious person, i'm very inquisitive though, always like to ask questions if i don't understand something. So when a person who is on your ignore list posts something, what do you see?

So when a person who is on your ignore list posts something, what do you see?
You see nothing. The only way you see what they posted is if someone else quotes them.

@Yoda I found "ignore option" to be a very useful tool, however I have few suggestions that could possibly maximize its effect.

- Automatic deleting of quoted posts from a person you have on your list
- Removing them from a " who's online " section
- Making the threads they created invisible, as well as the last post in the thread they responded

Is there a way these options could be implemented ? They'd make an ignore option much more effective.

@Yoda I found "ignore option" to be a very useful tool, however I have few suggestions that could possibly maximize its effect.

- Automatic deleting of quoted posts from a person you have on your list
- Removing them from a " who's online " section
- Making the threads they created invisible, as well as the last post in the thread they responded

Is there a way these options could be implemented ? They'd make an ignore option much more effective.
Hey Jeff.

All of these have been discussed, most of them earlier in the thread. Not saying that as a scold, just to let you know we've considered a lot of the possibilities here. But there are some complications, particularly with that last one, where I think it would create a fair number of problems with basic forum usage.

The first one (about quotes) is far and away the most sensible, but it proved to be a more complicated technical challenge than I'd expected. The code that formats quotes has some scope issues and it got to the point where I would've had to really dedicate a lot of time to unpacking it all for, ultimately, a feature that very few users are using, so I had to prioritize other things.

Adding to that is that, well, I don't know how effective I want ignore to be. I think it's a strictly necessary feature, but generally speaking I'd rather people just learn to deal with one another so the community doesn't become segmented. But that's just personal preference, and not the reason the feature hasn't been expanded or anything.

I cant imagine anyone insulting you. You're always very pleasant, Guapo.
lol! He should put that in his sig.

21 ?! Wow. I only have 3 left on mine

Im curious if Im on anyones Ignore User list. Of course if I am theres no way of knowing since they got me on ignore.

Im curious if Im on anyones Ignore User list. Of course if I am theres no way of knowing since they got me on ignore.
You're not on mine Tongo. That's because I don't have one.

And for anyone who "keeps" an ignore list - get off the internet and get back in the playpen, you've got some growing up to do.

Boy, I am acerbic today!

Hey Jeff.

All of these have been discussed, most of them earlier in the thread. Not saying that as a scold, just to let you know we've considered a lot of the possibilities here. But there are some complications, particularly with that last one, where I think it would create a fair number of problems with basic forum usage.

The first one (about quotes) is far and away the most sensible, but it proved to be a more complicated technical challenge than I'd expected. The code that formats quotes has some scope issues and it got to the point where I would've had to really dedicate a lot of time to unpacking it all for, ultimately, a feature that very few users are using, so I had to prioritize other things.

Adding to that is that, well, I don't know how effective I want ignore to be. I think it's a strictly necessary feature, but generally speaking I'd rather people just learn to deal with one another so the community doesn't become segmented. But that's just personal preference, and not the reason the feature hasn't been expanded or anything.
Understood ! Not a big deal or anything but it's sometimes distracting having a poster you have on ignore list constantly appearing on the front page. So that's mainly why I was proposing the third option. If you don't mind asking, in what way would the basic forum usage be compromised ? I'm just curious... As for the first option, yeah that's something that would definitely come in handy. No rush though, as I'm sure you have more important things to prioritize and dealing with coding difficulties surely takes away a big amount of time. Thanks for the answer, Yoda !

If you don't mind asking, in what way would the basic forum usage be compromised ? I'm just curious...
Don't mind you asking at all. I'm mostly concerned with how to handle situations where a lot of posts in a thread are new, and from people not on ignore, but the very last post is from them. Should that still show up in New Posts? Stuff like that. Anything which could cause non-intuitive or unpredictable behavior with the basic act of posting and browsing threads is something I'm always loathe to mess with.

The Last Poster stuff is a good example of how this stuff can get complicated fast: right now it's a static field in the database, so to hide that we'd be looking at a whole second field to store the next-to-last poster, and it'd have to be done on a per-user basis rather than a per-post basis (in case the ignored poster posts twice at the end), and then that needs to be updated in the script that deletes posts...and so on. Gets crazy fast.

As for the first option, yeah that's something that would definitely come in handy. No rush though, as I'm sure you have more important things to prioritize and dealing with coding difficulties surely takes away a big amount of time. Thanks for the answer, Yoda !
No worries, thanks for the suggestions. I would like to take another crack at the quote thing, just because it really bugs me when I think I should be able to do something and don't quite figure it out. And in this case the suggestion does make a lot of sense. Maybe I'll try again at some point.

Yeah I probably spoke too soon. I've since seen he has his moments.

No you're not on mine obviously. I would miss your avatar Only using that emoji because he looks like he;s picking his nose which makes me laugh.