Diehl40's top 25

→ in
Tools    

I have only recently began participating in the film countdowns, so i am still figuring out how to rank films. This list, which will include movies in many genres and from various dates, will be extra challenging to me because I feel like I am comparing apples and oranges ( for example favorite comedy vs.favorite suspense). My hope is to rate my top 25 first and then expand it to top 50, 75, 100.

This is a list of my favorite 25 movies, and does not claim, of course, that these are the 25 best movies ever. I will post the title the genre the date and the director for each film. I will only comment on rare occasions. I am interested in discussion, constructive criticism, etc., but please don't pile on.

Top 25 Films
25. The World According to Garp
24. No Country for Old Men
23. The Graduate
22. The Fisher King
21. Lawrence of Arabia
20. Chinatown
19. O Brother Where Art Thou
18. Fargo
17. Midnight in Paris
16. Inception
15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
14. Ordet
13. Winter Light
12. Wings of Desire
11. Lost Highway
10. Blade Runner
9. Dr. Strangelove
8. Purple Rose of Cairo
7. Hannah and Her Sisters
6. Paris, Texas
5. The Godfather pt 2
4. The Godfather
3. Goodfellas
2. Manon of the Spring
1. Jean de Floreta

#25. The World According to Garp 1982
Dir. George Roy Hill
Based on the Novel by John Irving
Featured Cast: Robin Williams, Mary Beth Hurt, and John Lithgow
This film really has no objective merit to place it so high on my list, but I love the story. I am a big fan of Irving because of his absurdist style of humor and writing. it will probably fall down the list as I add other movies, but It will be in my favorite 100. Irving has had numerous books made in to movies, and this is my favorite.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

#17 Midnight in Paris
Dir Woody Allen
Cast: Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard, Michael Sheen

I'm hit or miss with Woody Allen's movies, but Midnight in Paris is one of my favorites of his movies. It came close to making my list for the 2010s countdown.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Now we're talking!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.