Birdman

→ in
Tools    

I watched this over the weekend for the first time. I wanted to see what everyone thinks happened at the end of the film, as I really don't know.

WARNING: spoilers below
There are a few plausible interpretations, I think.

1) Do you think he died when he shot himself at the theater, and the following sequence in the hospital jumping out the window was some kind of fantasy dream sequence?
2) Alternatively, was this a real scene, and did he die when he jumped out the widow, thereby committing suicide?
3) Or, because of Emma Stone's happy expression when she looked out the window, are we to think that he actually survived by flying away? What do you all think happened, and what do you think was the intent of the filmmakers? What ending do you think was intended for us to see?

Thanks for your thoughts!
He was rescued at the last minute by Batman using a jump-line (the same way Batman rescued Vicky Vale who was falling in Batman 1989). Thus Emma's happy expression.

When Batman got Keaton to the top of the building, Keaton, in near disbelieve said, "You're... you're..."

"THE Batman!" the Batman replied... "You should've gotten it right the first time... it's not a proper name, it's not like I'm 'Mr. Batman', it's a title; THE Batman, like THE Dark Knight, get it?"

This is amusing! I think this was a joke, and am all for laughs in the right circumstances, but when I post things here for discussion, I'm usually looking for a more serious dialogue, so if anyone has any more substantive thoughts on this, I'm all ears!

This is amusing! I think this was a joke, and am all for laughs in the right circumstances, but when I post things here for discussion, I'm usually looking for a more serious dialogue, so if anyone has any more substantive thoughts on this, I'm all ears!
Sorry.

But since the movie was left open to speculation and since it entertained far-out themes (suggested by the speculative ending itself), then I provided a far out speculation - one which was also self-reflective just like the movie was (and which harkens forward to Keaton once again taking on the Batman cowl for an upcoming Flash movie).

My answer is a metaphor: Keaton saved himself... just as he did in the movie (interpretively) by ultimately accepting his potential type casting which was indelibly left by a single role (much like Leonard Nimoy first rejected his type casting as Spock, but later ultimately found peace and fulfillment by accepting it and all the fortune & glory that came with it).

P.S. please read this entire response to the background sound of jazz drums.