Drop

→ in
Tools    

Drop - This is such an intensely suspenseful movie. Every moment, it seems like something awful is about to happen, in spite of the fact that, for a movie like this, the body count is actually pretty low.

Starring the excellent Tom Hardy and the last performance by James Gandolfini, the story centers around a bar in Brooklyn that’s used to drop off money that is due to some seriously scary Chehen gangsters. When a robbery happens in the bar, “Bob” (Tom Hardy), the quiet, unobtrusive bartender, working for his would-be gangster cousin Marv (Gandolfini), finds himself in the middle of a scheme that he doesn’t completely understand. Bob lives a very quiet life, doesn’t bother anybody and is the sort of guy who rescues an abused puppy from a trash can. In the process, he finds a new girlfriend Nadia (the excellent Noomi Rapace) and begins to show something of himself that seems out of character.

When things start to go bad, we have the sense that there’s more to Bob than he lets us expect. He’s stuck in the middle of a gangland scheme that puts Nadia and even the puppy in serious danger, but nothing is more important to him than his new, scared girlfriend and his puppy. Nothing in this movie is excessive, the entire cast, especially Hardy, Rapace and Gandolfini are perfectly cast. The tension builds pretty much from moment one. Brooklyn rarely looked sketchier. It’s a very low-tech movie, relying on excellent performances from its lead actors, well worth a viewing if you like gritty suspense.

I LOVE TOM HARDY....GREAT ACTOR! I WILL DEFINITELY BE SEEING THIS ONE. IF ANYONE HASN'T SEEN "LOCKE", GO CHECK IT OUT. HE WAS GREAT IN IT

There's a lot of repressed rage in The Drop, a Dennis Lehane crime story about a lonely Brooklyn barkeep who's drawn out of his self-imposed isolation when he rescues a pit-bull puppy from the trash. Tom Hardy's Bob might have a dark past or he might just be a half-wit — Hardy keeps Bob's cards close to the vest with a precise performance that values stillness above all else. Bob thinks slowly, but Hardy invests every word and gesture with meaning and power.

Hardy is amazingly good at that slow boil that hides a lot but also suggests a lot. I first was blown away at his performance in Lawless, in which he is a member of the rural, bootlegging Bondurant family in the prohibition era.

My interest in The Drop was piqued by the presence of Hardy and Gandolfini but learning it was written by Dennis Lehane is a bonus...Lehane wrote Mystic River, so I know we're talking about a quality story here.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just saw this and enjoyed it - I am a Hardy fan now-- Not earth shattering, but a very good, solid drama. Hardy's boyish, displaced performance keeps you wondering the whole time. He finesses the hell out of this role. Gandolfini's last performance too. Noome Rapaci adds a chunk of awesome. Totally worth a watch.

My interest in The Drop was piqued by the presence of Hardy and Gandolfini but learning it was written by Dennis Lehane is a bonus...Lehane wrote Mystic River, so I know we're talking about a quality story here.
"The Drop" is better than "Mystic River".