Complaining Booth

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
LAME!!! I'd be wearing that chick's head around my neck to ward off other potential air heads.LOL. Anyhoo...moving stinks. Period. You'd be hard pressed to find a sadist that liked moving. Don't you have some burley man hands you could swing to move you and with the help of someones pick-up? Man, buying a round a beer for some dudes would sure beat having to deal with U-Haul.

Pop Culture:
Popular things, I look more upon the world of pop-culture as visual text, an image based wonderworld than a group of people. It is WHAT Julia Roberts looks like that is pop-culture, it is bright lights.

Mainstream Culture:
Critics not getting anything. Big business. The Academy Awards' "catch-up" system (not the awards themself, I connect that to pop-culture.)

Pop Culture = Visuals
Mainstream Culture = Attitudes

Make sense??

Now With Moveable Parts
Hmmm...I like watching the Academy Awards...my family and I always make a big to-do about it. We have a party and pig-out. We even take bets. I don't always agree with nominations;hardly agree with the winners. I just think it's fun to watch my favorite stars get all dressed up...see who their date is...root for them if their nominated,it's a blast; if you don't get too serious about it. The year Kevin Spacey won...I was on cloud nine for weeks

Naw, I don't see the difference...I mean, I see the line you've drawn, I just don't see why you chose to draw it there. Oh, and I like big business. Believe it or not, big business is usually a good thing. Anyway, pop culture is anything popular...hence the "pop," I believe. Mainstream is, by definition, pretty much the same thing...because anything popular is probably mainstream as well...IE: Survivor.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well most businesses these days don't seem to see a line, and think that anything that goes along with the Survivor principals, is okie day. WRONG. Temptation Island, Love Cruise, Boot Camp, The Mole, Lost, etc. These have all crossed the line that should have been drawn way back there.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
I agree. Seems to me the reality T.V. theme of shows is dying off a little. There's that gay show Elima-date. Won't go there. I did happen to like Fear Factor. I thought that was mildly entertaining. I got off watching those barbies eat sheep's eyes. Funny stuff. They started gagging and making gross noises...too hilarious.

Oooooh! Sometimes you guys give me a headache! These shows that you are pointing out... Survivor etc are shows that are made in America. In America, we live by the free market system. ANY show should be "allowed" to be made. By saying a line should be drawn you are really saying "some censorship is needed here". Doesn't Farenheit 451 scare you at all? Just because you don't like a show does not mean it shouldn't be made... some people do like the shows and should be able to participate in it. If the show does not measure up i.e. no one is watching it then the market will determine if it stays or goes. Supply and Demand...live it!

Toose is 100% correct. Given a free market, any racist, stupid, offensive, or insulting thing will pretty much get it's a** beat, if people don't like it. The people decide: what more do you want?

Anyway, I don't think they're talking about actually censoring things. Quite frankly, I think they're off in a direction as a result of misunderstand what I meant...I wasn't talking about Survivor in a literal sense...I was just using it as a small example: mainstream culture is pretty much the same as popular culture...anything popular is mainstream, and vice versa.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Toose
Oooooh! Sometimes you guys give me a headache!
Sor-ry. I never said they shouldn't be made. They're just lame shows. Who wants to Marry a Millionaire?, is the perfect example. Nobody watched that show because they thought it was a good idea, they watched it because they couldn't believe it was an actual show. There was even another one after that. It was called Who Wants to be a Princess?. Some prince came to the States to marry some total stranger. Ridiculous. I'm not cryin' for censorship...I'm cryin' for some friggin' brains behind the programming. These shows never should have made it to the meeting room. Based on moral value...not supply and demand. Sheesh.

But they did what they were supposed to do. Didn't that Millionaire show get the highest ratings for a tv show at that time? The decision by the Corp. was to sell high price ads during that show. Apparently they sold the ads. They didn't care if the show was about buttermaking, they wanted the opportunity to make some cash by selling advertising. Supply and Demand. Worked well too. Brains intact . If they did it again I don't think it would work, people still have sour grapes from the last one, hence the stream of "like" shows... they're thinking "if only we could do that again...".

I like the Academy Awards too Sades, I can watch it with the sound down (I don't, but this is just to illustrate my point) and really enjoy it, I can watch it with the sound up and still enjoy it, but you've got that ATTITUDE coming through.

Russel Crowe deserved something for "LA Confidential" so we'll give him one for "Gladiator" where he doesn't deserve it to make amends. Next year Tom Hanks is nominated AGAIN, say, and he doesn't deserve it -- Michael Caine deserves it. But they say "Well he deserved it for Castaway, but we had to sort of say sorry to Crowe, but we'll give it to Hanks this year and make it up to Caine later." I HATE that. The attitude connected to the Academy Awards I don't like, it's a mentality that I pick up. It may not even be there.

But apart from that I love it.
A chance to, as you say, see everyone doing the glam thing, big screen tributes, Billy Crystal (albeit not last year, and I mean Steve Martin did okay -- but he wasn't Crystal...)

Yes, amazingly, I agree with Silver. I hate the "well, he/she deserves one." I swear, if Marty wins Best Director for "Gangs of New York" (in the ceremony after this coming one, as it turns out), just because they feel he deserved to get one by now, I'll scream bloody murder. That ain't the way it works.

Now With Moveable Parts
I agree soundly! * BTW Toose,They did make another one after the original one. I even posted about it. It was called Who Wants to be a Princess...and it bombed. So much for the brains defense,and so much for,"Wish we could do that again..." Seems to me you can only fool an audiance once. Even if it's a stupid audiance.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i used to enjoy the Oscars.

it all went to hell though when they gave Gwyneth Paltrow best acting for Shakespeare in Love - which was a WONDERFUL movie but she did NOT deserve best actress. they were just all in love with her.

the girl who DID was Cate Blanchett, for Elizabeth.

to make up for it, they gave her the best actress golden globe.

wankers.

Actually, she had the Golden Globe FIRST.
It was the same situation with Tom Hanks and Castaway.

Remember, they're not being run by the same groups of people. That's why. The Golden Globes don't "pay people back" like the Academy does.

Ie:
The Oscars are more corrupt than the Globes.
But we all prefer the Oscars for some reason.

I don't know I put myself through the pain of watching them each year. I guess it's to have maybe two of three moments of pleasure for hours of pain.

Anything to do with Traffic this year I was pleased with, they deserved everything they got...

Now With Moveable Parts
Ha-Ha! *points finger for emphasis* Ya see...when my family and I have our little Oscar Party...we bet. One of the things I look at, are indeed ,the Golden Globes...as they always come first. Cate won. Guess who I picked to win the Oscar? Cate! Gwenth won. Guess who threw a hissy-fit? Cate! No...me.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Ie:
The Oscars are more corrupt than the Globes.
But we all prefer the Oscars for some reason.

No. ACTORS perfer the Oscars...that's the problem. It's the coveted award...they all want that title following them for their next movie,"Academy Award winner_____in their new movie_______directed by Academy Award winner_________." Ya see?

We see eye to eye very often.
I don't think I'll be able to stomach looking at "Academy Award winner Julia Roberts" everywhere I turn now...