Burfday Madness - How do YOU do it?

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
OKAY!! The day has arrived! Today is the anniversary of when my mother popped me into this beautiful world, and I could sit back and have you all offer me tidings, BUT - !

What I thought I'd do instead was ask you all how you like to celebrate your birthday - if at all. I know a lot of peeps who tell no one and get no presents and the only phone call they get is from their mom - and that's how they like it.

And I know other peeps who tell everybody for months ahead so they get drowned in presents and adoration for a week.

So ... how do you do it? bring it on!!

My Mom doesn't even call anymore. She just sends an email. I'd love to do things for my birthday, but nobody else seems to care (and it seems stupid to celebrate by myself). So I just treat it like every other day (and have pretty much for the last 15 years, though at 16, I did get a car for my birthday).

whaddya mean nobody cares? see, the problem is, that's the way it is unless you let people know. there are subtle ways to do it ... and outspoken ways.

my bf asked me if I was the kinda girl who liked to celebrate for an entire week ... gifts every day, magical dinners, monopolizing everyone's time. lol, not for me, but for some people ...

my mom doesn't even remember how old i am, let alone what day i was born. funny considering the pain factor.

btw, when is your burfday?

Very selfless thread...I respect that. Personally I'm not sure what I'd like most, but my mom usually takes me to a baseball game. This year we went to an Indians game in Cleveland, but usually it's a Pirates game here in Pittsburgh. I guess from now on, if I had to choose, it'd probably be a movie or something. Overall, though, the one thing I want on my birthday more than anything else is to be able to just do my own thing: no work around the house, no kind of work that's not my own, etc. Then I order pizza or something, listen to music, play computer games, and work on my personal projects.

How about you?

My birthday is July 19. And a good many people know that and simply choose not to care. I'm not going to go overboard drawing attention to myself or anything on the hopes that someone will plan something for my birthday. But I don't keep it a secret, either.

chris, i love your sigs .

and i totally know what you mean about just being left along to do the things you want that are fun ...

yeah, i didn't want to get all self indulgent though that's entirely how i'm feeling today and i feel entitled.

i like a little spoilment. not too much, i don't like people to have to go out of their way to make a huge fuss and dent their wallets but some care and time taken makes me feel appreciated and a little pampering doesn't hurt - someone else making dinner or inviting me out, etc.

well no, you don't have to go overboard. i thought you didn't tell anybody. if they choose not to then, they suck. at least a card, ya know? people are special anyway and a b-day is an excuse to remind them of it and to feel it without feeling guilty. this is my day of existence! hear me roar!

when july next rolls around i'll try to remember. at least an e-greeting, or sumthin', ya know?

Hi Thmi
I know you like my lithsp tho:

Happy Birthday to you
You belong in a thzoo
with all the munkeeth
and the skunkeeth...

TWT thmellz like one too

Hope you have a great day!

hi toose,

yeah, i like the lisp, it is a part of my name.

thanks for the burfday song.

damn, i woulda thought this thread would get more response. this is one of the only TWO threads i have ever created. i guess i'm just not good at this thread creation crap. well fine! a follower i shall be!

Really? I thought you've created a few in your time. Anyway, it just seems like there are two types of people when it comes to birthdays...and more often than not, you'll have a few from each side in each family. My mom is fairly big on birthdays, but my dad hardly realizes they exist. I am 100% aware of my birthday, and the birthday of some of my friends, usually far in advance, but I don't make a big deal out of it. I like it when I can just take them out bowling or to McDonald's or something to talk and have fun/eat/whatever. I like it when they do the same for me...gifts are akward, but I still give them now and then, but I overwhelmingly prefer some group (or at least for more than one person) gift of sorts, where people can all have fun with it together...baseball games, movies, bowling, etc.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by thmilin

damn, i woulda thought this thread would get more response. this is one of the only TWO threads i have ever created. i guess i'm just not good at this thread creation crap. well fine! a follower i shall be! [/b]
I always get these nervous butterflies in my stomach everytime I post a new thread.It's like putting something out there for everyone to judge...and you want it to be well received,but alas...I've had a few duds.It feels icky...hence,my posting on your thread... Birthdays and Christmas,two of my most favorite things to look forward to during the year, as a child,have turned into something else...a depressing sort of thing.I haven't figured it out yet.It's almost like when you go back to the house you grew up in...and it seems so small...and the neighborhood is like,microscopic;that's what my favorite holidays have manifested into...a smallness in the bigger scheme of things.On a lighter note...New Year's Eve is way more fun than when I was a kid! Par-Tay!

I usually don't make a big deal out of my birthday. When I was little, I would almost die in anticipation during the weeks leading up to both my birthday and Christmas. Now they both just come and go as if they were normal days.

BTW - hope your B-day went well, thmilin.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I usually go out with my parents to dinner, then out with my friends.

thanks for the bday wishes!

sorry sadie, packing, work and bday celebrations kept me from posting everywhere i meant to, don't think i'm a slacker!

Now With Moveable Parts
no no dearie...no worries.I know you'll be covering my butt sooner or later! Actually sooner than later would be better.Miss ya! Let's yahoo Mon?!

Rock God
happy birthday.