Foreign / Independent Film - Your Take?

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by thmilin
Do you feel particularly into foreign or independent films, and if so, what are you looking for in/from them... Do you prefer a particular... subject matter?
Yup. Whatever's outside-and-inside the norm. Hollywood's middle name is Norm

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
What you are saying about subtitles applies to the UK.
As english-speakers, a lot of us don't ever get to see even a tenth of the foreign output that's out there. (And if we did, we'd be cursing Foreignwood, for it's cackness, as much as we'd be revelling in its diversity )

But in Adi-land and beyond, they've got that gift called subtitle-acceptance. That's the biggest thing we lack.

I don't think it's all parochialness tho. Sometimes i think it's just down to short-sightedness and reading-difficulties. Seriously. (Certain studies have found up to a third of the local UK populace to be a long way from functionally literate. It ain't a cuss, it's just the way it is. People who could otherwise appreciate those movies rarely will - and they haven't got enough incentive to try and do so)

The B/W thing's a whole nother thing tho. It's shame people can't fit into the rhythm of what's come before.

Originally Posted by Aniko
However, in anime I like both subbed and dubbed.
When the dubbing's good, as your good self and others have said, the glove fits. I loved watching [i]Spirited Away[i/] in its original rhythme-sense tho

As American cinema is slowly losing its passionate flame and its true meaning of what it represents, independant films still hang on to what was once a trademark of America.
Nice, turning to curious, sentiment. So long as you're not denying the 'trademarked' creativity and high-points of various nations along cellulloid's path, i'm happy to agree with you

Nice, turning to curious, sentiment. So long as you're not denying the 'trademarked' creativity and high-points of various nations along cellulloid's path, i'm happy to agree with you
Haha, no, I am not denying that. Dozens of other countries also started to make films at the same time as the United States. Although film was a highly-regarded trademark cultural element in the US in the early and mid 1900s, other countries also shared this element.

Good topic. I've pretty much decided whenever I go to the video store, I get only foreign films. Why? I've lost interest in Hollywood. Sure, at times there are Hollywood movies I'd like to watch. For example: When Munich comes out on video, I'll rent it. Overall I love my foreign films and am glad the stores carry it. I prefer to watch movies that deal with 'life'.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i like your avatar, aurovon, Oldboy was awesome ...

i agree, hollywood productions seem more and more cartoonish and less "alive." oldboy was ALIVE. seething and breathing from it's every millimeter.

I find myself drawn almost inevitably to the foreign section of the local video rental store. American film remains too story/character dependent for my tastes, and foreign (espcially German, Scandinavian and Asian) filmmaking is simply much more visual than American cinema. If I want characters, I can read a book. Film is a visual medium, make use of it.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Yes, very dependent. Sometimes, it's good to have a character you don't really like so much, or who is morally culpable, whom you grow to care about. US film forgets that, is mostly trying to make you like the heros, hate the bad guys, buy the tix and DVD. so cut and dry, no room for complexity/depth.

Movie Forums Member
I like french romatic comedies.. they are so intimate feeling.