Digital Cable Techie Help

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Can someone tell me how to split my digital cable? When the guy came in and installed it I told him I would want to have another tv in the bedroom (the bedroom has no cable connection). He said, here, I'll split the wire (ran it through one of those metal splitters) and just run a long cable from here to the tv in the bedroom.

Which I can do but the tv in the bedroom will have no cable box! So how will I control the channels I watch while in the bedroom? Will a universal remote cover it? Will that alone be able to switch me through the cable channels even though the main box is in the living room?

techie help much appreciated.

You'll have the basic cable channels on the split, but not the pay channels or additional digital channels. You need a cable box for that.

Sorry.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If you have a newer tv that the channels go up to the hundreds you can change channels on the tv, if not run the cable into your vcr and the vcr into the tv, then put your tv on channel 3or4 and change channels with the vcr remote.

Yeah, a cable-ready set or VCR will allow you to get the cable signal, of course. But like I said, it will be basic cable only, minus pay channels or additional channels from the digital. If you want that stuff on the second TV, you gotta pay for a second box.

Still sorry.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
hmmm, thanks holden you buttery lump of technical knowledge ...

I'm still wondering, cuz this is the dealio - the tv in the second room is a cable ready tv/vcr combo and is actually the one currently hooked up in the main room with the original digital cable box. The way the tech guy set it up, the tv stays on Channel 3 and of course, the cable box remote handles all the channels.

I am soon to replace this 13" tv/vcr combo in the living room (don't laugh) with a bigger, snazzier tv.

So what happens when I take the same tv/vcr combo into the bedroom, and run the split cable to it ... do i just set it on "Cable Input" and hope the remote takes me (at least) to the regular cable channels (which I can live with, I have the MOST basic form of digital cable). I wondered because, like I said, in the living room even ON the box the tv stays on channel 3...

more info, please. if i can't get this to work no one will be more sorry than me. :bawl: