Complaining Booth

Tools    

In the Beginning...
My complaint:

It took me longer to deposit my paycheck in my bank than it did to spend it on Amazon just a few minutes ago...

Tremble, all ye wayward bystanders, for I am a great and terrible consumer of all.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I was out running earlier, and as I was nearing a lay-by I saw a car coming toward me. They didn't appear to be slowing down and nor did they give a signal or any indication that they weren't going to keep going (I was wearing a reflective coat by the way, I had to be visible), so I thought I'd better move over to give them room to get past and not hit me.

So I decided to move into the lay-by, and suddenly, without warning (or signal), so did they. And quickly. I almost dived into the hedge, grazing my knee and twisting my ankle in the process (and left feeling like a right wally), and they simply turned around and drove off

In hindsight, going into the lay-by was a silly mistake. I should've just stopped running and stood still to see what they were going to do, but they could've at least rolled down a window and asked if I was alright afterward.

I'm off to the pub. It is St. Patricks Day afterall, and I still have a few hours of Guinness left to enjoy

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Sleezy
...But occasionally, a member or two will attack a new member, possibly under the annoyed expectation that said new member is a no-nothing dolt with no knowledge or respect for forum etiquette. I'm guilty of doing so on at least one occasion, of which I regret. Mofo is frequently visited by users who sign up, post one or two poorly constructed messages with seemingly little or no regard for proper grammar - and yes, that gets frustrating. It clutters the boards. It disrupts our usual, routine browsing and challenges our desire to find and read thoughtful posts. But as per the Terms of Service we've all signed, that gives no member the right to disrespect any new member for any reason, no matter how deficient they might seem.
I am puzzled by your use of the word (underlined, no less) "attack". Perhaps I missed it. Could you please link me to an incidence where one or more posters have attacked a new person?

Also, could you show me in the TOS, which I have just copied and pasted below for your convenience, where it says that we must respect people? I see mention of "hateful" posts, but nothing demanding respectfulness. That is part of the tone of this forum, but it's also earned by people being respectful, and they get it in return. It's not mandated.

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Movie Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Movie Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Movie Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

I would list examples of this type of behavior to illustrate the need for my post here, but I'd rather not - by quoting - indict someone of improper behavior without warrant, particularly in a thread that never asked for it.

Of course, but the search function should be pointed out in a kind and helpful manner, I'd argue. That might seem obvious, but it seems easy for some to smugly suggest using the search function, as if the new user should have known it was there anyway. To suggest the search function in this way is to unfairly accuse a new member of being lazy without proof, rather than simply being uninformed.
What I have seen posted regarding the search function has been exactly this: "If you had bothered to use the search function, you would have found threads already exist on this topic, here and here and here."

Please explain to me what is rude or mean in that wording. I am at a loss as to why a poster who says this would be classified as either of those things. I see irony. I don't see meanness or rudeness. Also, in the context of this incidence, it was said to a poster who has been posting here for months, and was at another board before this one. This was not a case of a person with 3 posts getting blasted.

Agreed, but once again, I think a distinction should be made. Not everyone is as proficient at producing concise, poignant, and grammatically correct writing as others. In fact, many develop that talent simply by posting continually on message boards such as these. I say let's afford new members the chance to learn to write and respond here, rather than expect it of them upon their first appearance.
I say that's a slippery slope, and here's why: you say later in this post that the burden of change is on the newcomer. But here, you are suggesting that veteran posters go the extra mile to decipher AOL slang and lazily written half formed opinions, until such time as the newer poster wises up. That doesn't add up to better posting, it adds up to a board flooded with 'tards, and topics like "Fun Fax About My Testacalz". The reason? Every day, several hundred people have a look at this board. They join up here if they see something they want to take part in. So if the board has a lot of low-brow tripe all over it, we get more low-brow tripe posters.

Yes, but again, I re-state my comment about learning and developing skills. Not everyone can construct, or even know how to begin constructing, a solid argument. Should that deficiency deny them the privilege to discuss films, and to participate on these message forums? We should take care that we don't unnecessarily alienate new members, and instead encourage them to post and to learn as they go.
I think it's insulting to new people to insinuate that they're actually incapable of stringing together a cogent thought or two.

Agreed, and it should be said that more than a few members here treat new members and old members with the same amount of respect, honesty, and fair-mindedness - which is certainly a testament to this forum's integrity.
I'm not sure what this has to do with what we're talking about. Yes, most people here are all those things. That's what most of us value here.

I haven't suggested my above thoughts because I believe the forum needs them. I'm confident that everyone who frequents the boards here already knows what I'm talking about. Yet, it seems necessary sometimes to remind oneself and others about the code of conduct and degree of understanding which shouldn't just be expected of us, but heralded as well.
Agreed, though I do fear you're about to burst into song... Herald at will, but I'm saying: don't villify people who are looking out for the standard of posting here. The alternative isn't pretty.

I agree that the burden of change lies with the new member, and not with the forum. It's up to new members to adapt, and to "learn the ropes," and to express concerns whenever applicable. But I also feel that the old members, being the frequent visitors that they are - the life-givers who keep these forums active - retain the responsibility to make welcome new members, and to educate them fairly and respectfully as they make the adjustment. That way, new members - who might be the next respected "old members" - are encouraged to stay, rather than having to blindly mesh with a group who's been together for years.
You had me up to "blindly mesh". What do you mean by "blindly mesh"?

I'm sure we would all agree that this can be a difficult and potentially lonely transition for anyone. Some are less deficient than others, obviously, and require little or no help to get into the swing of things. But for my part, I'd argue that everyone deserves a chance before they're challenged for being inadequate after only two or three posts...
I disagree. People generally put their best foot forward in new settings. It's also human nature to check the lay of the land before launching into business as usual. People who arrive rude tend to stay that way, unless they're shown that that doesn't fly. Responding to what someone else puts out there is totally fair play.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I don't blame you... I didn't realise til now that my post ended up 17 miles long. No worries here, though I truly don't understand what you meant by some of what you posted. Understanding was my goal, but I have others.

Originally Posted by thmilin
well, hey, that's cool. oh, i've got a question:

do you find it both entertaining and funny if it happens to you?
Depends on how witty it is, if its clever and not just a cheap shot, I generally dont care, people's opinion of me doesnt change my opinion of me.

someone being verbally abusive for their own egostroking, not just being a jokester. There's a difference between messing around WITH someone and messing around ON someone.

I agree, theres a difference, but its not always interpreted correctly, what you call "egostroking" I might consider fun and what I consider funny may have been "egostroking"

it's always enjoyable to laugh at other people's expense

Yeah it is isnt it?

until you realize you could be one of those other people. and then, it's usually not so funny.

Usually, but sometimes is, I think when it comes to this board noone is intentionally trying to make ppl cry, some people are naturally rude the easiest thing is to take everything as a joke here...more later

Originally Posted by Naisy
[i] some people are naturally rude the easiest thing is to take everything as a joke here...

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
I'm off to the pub. It is St. Patricks Day afterall, and I still have a few hours of Guinness left to enjoy
Yay....hope your are not too bruised up. Happy St. Paddy's Day.

I work for a very large utility company. This company has a lot of programs for low-income customers. Long story short, I'm in 6 to 10 homes of very low-income (poor people, most of whom are on some sort of welfare program) everyday, and I see how they live. As you may expect, most of them have a lot of kids, dirty, and many times, bug infested homes. Now, out of 10 of these houses per day, no less than 8 will have a very large, very expensive high-def tv with surround sound and the whole set up. Get ready for the sarcasm here: I think it's pretty cool how these people are so poor that they are on welfare, receive free programs from my utility company, get food stamps, and can still get themselves a 2900$ tv and God knows how many dvd's. Aint America great?