The Top of the Bleeping Obstacle: MoFo Top 100 War Movies Prelims!

→ in
Tools    

I forget if it was already mentioned, but when's the deadline to submit our ballots?

July 11... so no Oppenheimer.

and to that list of cold war spy films we can add Bridge of Spies (2015). I checked IMDB, RT and Letterboxd and it wasn't tagged war at any of them so not eligible. Great film though.

It's war on IMDb.

July 11... so no Oppenheimer.

I admit, that was an oversight. But Oppenheimer's gonna take a while to reach streaming, so until it has more wide-access to the people of MoFo, the rest of the options will have an unfair (albeit reasonable) advantage over it in terms of how many people could even watch it. We'd have to pay for it. However, if the situation changes, such as being available for streaming early, then if the community wants to further increase the time of the preliminary thread, I'm more than willing to do so.

I'm actually a bit excited about the possibility of adding Oppenheimer to the top 100, as this countdown now gives me a legitimate reason to go spend some of the little money I have. I guess in the end, starting the prelims right after the theme votes may have been the oversight.

I admit, that was an oversight. But Oppenheimer's gonna take a while to reach streaming, so until it has more wide-access to the people of MoFo, the rest of the options will have an unfair (albeit reasonable) advantage over it in terms of how many people could even watch it. We'd have to pay for it. However, if the situation changes, such as being available for streaming early, then if the community wants to further increase the time of the preliminary thread, I'm more than willing to do so.

I'm actually a bit excited about the possibility of adding Oppenheimer to the top 100, as this countdown now gives me a legitimate reason to go spend some of the little money I have. I guess in the end, starting the prelims right after the theme votes may have been the oversight.

I was mostly being cheeky. We can't wait for every movie that will ever be made to come out.

I was mostly being cheeky. We can't wait for every movie that will ever be made to come out.

True, but it's literally only ten days away from the end of our prelims. It would feel like a rip off considering that most people expect this movie to set a high bar. I mean, it's just the one movie. I never would've done this if it was another Michael Bay war movie.

Have you guys seen this?
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=67807
We could use some of the countdown people to pop in from time to time and participant. It's easy peasy!

Unfortunately I've got a couple other movie-related things to take care of first, notably blowing through the Rocky movies on Tubi before they're taken off in a couple days. Almost halfway through IV right now. I'm halfway though reviewing them, too, but internet troubles are getting in the way.

How are you defining a short? Is there a minimum number of minutes a film must be in order to qualify?
The general consensus for a "short" is less than 40 minutes. So, not this.

It's set during the Cold War, with a crazy general ordering an attack on the Soviet Union. So obviously it's a fictional situation, but set during a real-life time. Whether we consider the Cold War a war itself is another whole issue.
To narrow the list down, don't think I'll include "Cold War" films. Along with:
- Futuristic War ( Star Wars, Starship Troopers, etc.)
- Gang Wars ( The Warriors, City of God, etc.)
- Nuclear War ( Testament, Threads, etc.)
- Fictional War (The Andromeda Strain, Lord of the Rings, etc)

But will consider "Conflict Wars" like Korean, Vietnam, Middle East, etc.

Yuppers, me too.

I think I will take you up on that. It's a huge pool anyway, so I'll take any chances to narrow it down.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Recommendation:

The Hill (1965)

Directed by Sidney Lumet
Starring Sean Connery and Harry Andrews

No front battles. A Film in the scope of the special regime war-camps (prisons).

A cult performance by Andrews in the role of the antagonist (a strong commander).

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I liked No Man's Land.

I would be interested in recommendations from other wars, like this. I feel like the majority are WWI or WWII and it would be interesting to see some about different wars from throughout history and around the world.